Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

spring evening for c&c

• 16-04-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I hope these aren't too small to see properly. for the past few evenings I've been thinking of doing this and last night I was finally around at the right time to take them. I've tried a new softer processing. c&c on anything really.
    p.s. to everyone I met the other night in Cabinteely 'Hi! and thank you for being so kind to me and Nicole' icollage.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Excellent as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I love your use of light, and the backlight from the sun. Wonderful work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

these are all amazing shots. My favourite is the 3rd one in the top right hand corner. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

They're super and work so well together. I love the one with the dress twirling, and it's great that there's one on the bottom right where she's looking at the camera. Love the one you posted on its own in Random thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

great shots, good use of light - pity they pics are so small:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

thank you, here's a slightly bigger one. Would the lens flare bother you in this and a couple of the previous images?
    IMG_9915-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hi there, I think the pics in your 1st post here are lovely & work really well together.

I would find the flare a bit excessive in the post above, whereas in the top row of your original post, the flare in the 2 colour shots seems to just 'fit' better.

You have a great model there, BTW!

-FoxT

FoxT wrote: »
    You have a great model there, BTW!
    -FoxT

yep, she's a great model. She's a neighbour's child. mine tend to have photographer's child syndrome :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A few thoughts Lynn. I'm booking the trend of opinion here slightly so usual disclaimer for these contributions, they are only opinion and my view of the world of photography mightn't be particularly well grounded. So kinda take anything that is useful to you from it and trash the rest :)
    c&c on anything really.

As a set - presented as is, the mixture of b/w & colour isn't working for me. As individual takes they will probably work better for my eye.

In general, I appreciate that its a particular style which you are setting out to shoot (and a style that I quite like at times), but I wonder if you are pushing the exposure a bit too much with these.

individual comments from top left clockwise;

#1 (top far left) I'd like to see a large version of this, however I suspect i might be disappointed with the angle of the head which looks quite stilted.

#2 Is kinda uncomfortable for me. The angle and resulting crop is obbviously non traditional and breaks rules but i'm not getting from it that it's succeeding. It's kinda neither here nor there (to me) - the expression is, i think, not something that you'll warm to. The flags in the OOF area while should be a point of interest, i'm finding to be really distracting (sorry, for the cliched phrase). Lens flare is really cool though.

#3 (top far right) is quite nice. Again, exposure might be pushed a bit or maybe a smidgen of contrast would help perhaps. I do wonder if there is a better image in there with a tighter/very close crop.

#4 (bottom far right) is quite nice too. With the pose, it's a little uncomfortable - I think the head is forced back a little too much. Elbows slightly further apart may have solved this. Flare again is a cool element for this style / genre of a shoot.

#5 is probably my favourite of the bunch though i give the blacks slide a little bump. I'd like to see this one in more detail/larger. The crop in this I think is a tich to tight (yes, almost contradicting myself and what i was saying with regards to #3). Right arm is almost a little too straight/stiff looking perhaps.

#6 (bottom far left) It appears to me not a particular comfortable pose. Those damn flags are doing my head in :D The smidgen of green in the foreground area doesn't quite (imho) give enough context of what was actually in the foreground - so i'd either remove it or crop wider. On the subject of wider crop, the feet removed/not visible is also troubling my eye. For this type of shot I prefer an 'off' angle such as in your post #7.

So for me, (and its only my humble opinion) overall I think there's a bit of distance to go in perfecting this style for you. They are certainly not disasterous, just not something with a wow factor (just yet). That said, having been fortunate enough to view some of your work here for some time now, I think you will perfect in next to no time :)

Hope that is of some help.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I love the photos OP,but its always great to read the opinion of excellent photogs like Ancathdubh. Gives me an extra layer of understanding

some day, I want to post something that EVERYONE loves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Excellent shots especially the the image on top right hand side and the B & W in the bottom.. I think you got it fairly spot on but I think they would look better presented in set of 3 top to bottom in colour and seperate set of 3 in B & W

Thank you for the detailed c&c AnCatDubh. I really appreciate you taking the time to write down your thoughts. I'm still working on these and for me they're still a touch too green but I will post another set once I've finished client stuff.
    LeoB- the two you pointed out are my favourites too. I would never usually like outdoor bws but for some reason i like that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I think you can be fairly well pleased with you set. Im my favoutite pair you appear to have captured the warm atmosphere very well and we will all have different views on contrast.

It got me to try a few yesterday with my daughter but I wont post them here, I need a bit more practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I don't mind flare if used decently, yours are fine IMO.

ah Leo, now you HAVE to post them :)
    I reworked one of the images to take some of the green out. Still haven't got round to reworking the whole lot though.
    IMG_0127sooc-1.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127bw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I prefer the colour edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Really nice set Lynn. Great use of back light. Can't really knock'em. The green is not really noticeable, maybe in the SOOC one. I like the PP. Maybe a bit more eye contact would be nice.

Advertisement