Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best setup for large storage capacity?

Options
  • 16-04-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I currently have a Windows Home Server (WHS) that backs up the 4 PCs on my network and also centralizes media files - photos, music, and mainly recorded TV from the Windows Media Center in my living room.

I've got 4 HDDs in the WHS server: a 1TB, 1.5TB, a 500GB and an 80GB drive that the operating system is on. The 1TB drive is showing up in WHS as 'Unhealthy' and when I run the repair wizard it still doesn't fix it.

I don't really use the WHS for much nowadays, mainly just running the Squeezebox Server software to power my network music players. The WHS is in my office room and is noisy and I think I'd like to get rid of it as I don't really need another machine turned on all the time (in addition to the Media Center in the living room).

The Media Center has a solid-state disk for the operating system and a 1TB and 500GB drive for storage. I think there is no more room for an extra drive in either machine.

Is there a way I can get something like an external rack that'll hold several 3.5inch HDDs and then just connect this directly to the Media Center machine?

I'd then get rid of the WHS, though I'm also not sure if the WHS file structure will make copying and pasting the data from those WHS drives complicated, so appreciate any advice on that, or how to best handle data transfer in general. Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement