Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Prices

• 16-04-2011 3:24pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So at midnight, Topaz on Manor raised price to 150.9 for petrol. Today I see that, again, the Maxol and Topaz further down on Cork Road by Waterford Crystal are more expensive and have the exact same prices at 152.9.

Why, with such a short distance between them, are they always more expensive? Why do Maxol and Topaz nearly always have the exact same prices in that area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

All price's for topaz are decided from a head office in Dublin everyday the prices of nearby petrol stations are checked to see if any changes are needed topaz would never undercut always match normally

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Never see them undercut in Waterford. Dunmore Road always and continues to be cheaper today at 149.9.

Likewise Maxol and Topaz nearly always same price and the Manor station generally cheaper then the Cork Rd station.

eg, If Tesco goes up to 150.9 tonight topaz will change the next day to match

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Faq wrote: »
    eg, If Tesco goes up to 150.9 tonight topaz will change the next day to match

Tesco have always been cheaper. As have other stations in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The TOP in Ferrybank is usually cheaper then everywhere too, I'll check tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Sully wrote: »
    Tesco have always been cheaper. As have other stations in Waterford.

Used to be allright but not for a long time now, Top in Ferrybank seems to be the leader now.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The TOP in Ferrybank is usually cheaper then everywhere too, I'll check tomorrow.

148.9 up to close of business Saturday anyway, while texaco across the road from it was 149.9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

When it comes to petrol ,ive wondered what kind of profit petrol stations make? Say its 149.9 a litre ,how much of that is actual profit? I imagine its fairly low due to competition and fairly consistant prices everywhere.

Any one have any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    When it comes to petrol ,ive wondered what kind of profit petrol stations make? Say its 149.9 a litre ,how much of that is actual profit? I imagine its fairly low due to competition and fairly consistant prices everywhere.

Any one have any idea?

AFAIK its only a few cent on the litre.
    Good breakdown here
    http://www.pumps.ie/FAQPricesExplained.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Imf are getting some chunk of that 1.50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

AFAIK its only a few cent on the litre.
    Good breakdown here
    http://www.pumps.ie/FAQPricesExplained.php

Thanks alot for the reply , its a great breakdown.

Maybe a bit of topic here but i noticed this last night randomly looking throught the net- Accetone.Does it really have such a profound effect on engines?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭larchielads

i think the government should lower the tax on petrol and diesel and hike the tax on cigarettes to make up for it. petrol/diesel are essential nicotine aint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

i think the government should lower the tax on petrol and diesel and hike the tax on cigarettes to make up for it. petrol/diesel are essential nicotine aint!!

Your thinking is sound but if the cigarette manufacturers have paid off the politicians more that the petrol peddlers -the govt won't do it! What they will do is play the two off each other and get em to pay em even bigger bribes! It's all about the payoff!!!! Fookin politicians.....never did a days work in their lives and live off the sweat of those of us who do work!!! Bunch of leeches all of em.

Tesco is 148.9. Also drove a lot up around the midlands this weekend and the vast majority of stations had their prices up since my last visit two weeks ago but at 148.9 the majority. A couple at 149.9, one 147.9 and one 151.9. I took a mental note just to see if the trend down here is reflected nationally.

In one town, Topaz was the cheapest.

Yet down in Waterford the two stations (Topaz and Maxol) on Cork Road are generally always same price and that Topaz is more expensive then both other Topaz stations in Waterford. Topaz on Manor the second cheapest with the Dunmore Road Topaz being the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 adrian hyde

For some of us nicotine is pretty much essential :o

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Ya but its reached the point of diminishing returns on cig's ppl just buying the imported ones (illegally). Smoking costs the govt money in terms of health, Politically impossible to reduce the price.

As for the cost of fuel though, It has a direct effect, Petrol gets more expensive = economy gets strained. People spending more money on petrol means Johnny fan aint sellin as many chicken balls. So too increase the tax on a litre by 19c ish in 18months... Well just another idiotic decsion eh?

Closer to Topic though, Ive notice the TOP garage in Butlerstown has been one of the cheapest for the past couple of months 147.9 atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The 2nd petrol station as you come into Tramore has been 147.9 for the last while. Its the cheapest i've seen. Maxol on the cork road is still 152.9.

I remember hearing on the radio that the petrol stations basically make about 3 cent of that price per litre. :eek:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

passage cross where one of the cheaper garages for a while there.

To get Ireland back working we need to get the price of Diesel and petrol down and get people back on the roads looking for work and get them out spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Amber on Paddy Browns road is usually the cheapest around..

Tis 147.9 in Tramore. Good petrol, I don't like the Tesco or Amber stuff. Find it burns quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

It burns quicker?

Is that proven or just a tale... I never noticed to be honest

savic04 wrote: »
    It burns quicker?

Is that proven or just a tale... I never noticed to be honest

I never believed it when I read it a lot on the Motors forum, and you had petrol station managers denying it. But I genuinely felt, as do a few others I spoke to who are not in anyway big into their cars, that lately at least some of the petrol stations that are cheap seem to have fuel that doesn't last as long.

Topaz has consistently been good and lasts much longer. I have one of those fuel cards, and its not much cheaper (I don't think it this this week) for Topaz either. But, the petrol is good and if you don't have the cash to buy it elsewhere the card comes in handy.

Just think there is something funny about the price consistency between three Waterford stations.

Just passed the stations again.

Topaz on Cork Road shoots up to 154.9. Maxol decided to stick with 152.9.

Manor is 152.9.

Guess they saw this thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Sully,

The same happens over here....all the gas stations watch each other and jack up the prices to match...it is a very subtle form of collusion which, of course, is against the law!

Topaz Dunmore road 151.9

Tesco 148.9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Can we mention diesel prices as well please :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

decies wrote: »
    Can we mention diesel prices as well please :-)
    Cant you just make a new tread about diesel prices, as then people that have no interest in petrol prices can go to that tread,simple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Well it is if you have an addiction. Put the tax on beer instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

marlin vs wrote: »
    Cant you just make a new tread about diesel prices, as then people that have no interest in petrol prices can go to that tread,simple!
    We diesel heads are in the majority now , simple, lol.

Advertisement