Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statement for MA

Options
  • 16-04-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I am currently trying to bring myself to write a statement for my MA application. My lecturer said he would give it a look over first which is good, but I just don't know where to start.

I have looked up sample ones online, but some of them seem so...just cringey really.

I want to be honest, but without being underwhelming. I'm really bad at trying to convince them to take me, and what I would bring to the course.
    I am sure I will be able to come up with why I find the course interesting and why I want to do it..but, just selling myself is the problem.

Does anyone have tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Is this a statement of interest in the course or a proposal for what area you would like to research for your MA dissertation? The term 'statement' has been can be used to describe both types, depending on the university/college to which you're applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

All of the online samples seemed fairly cringworthy to me as well so I just wrote one the way I saw fit. Only time will tell whether It was good or bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

It's a statement of interest in the course.

I have spoken to a few people, and some said that convincing them of why they should take you is very important, while others said it's not that important :confused:

I mean, how much influence does this statement have? I'm guessing if there is a tie between marks, the statement may be the decider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

At the risk of sounding stupid, be honest. Just tell them why you want to do it, what you want to get out of it and where you think it'll take you. When I wrote mine I did a really rough, un-professional piece first and tried to be as honest as I could be in simple, plain language. Then I re-wrote it and tried to make it more professional in tone, had someone look at it and sent it away.

I do remember also looking at online examples and a fair few of them being American. Not to say there's anything wrong with the American versions, but it's a different system/mentality and they tend to be kind of cringeworthy and way over the top enthusiasm wise.

Advertisement