Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any books on food matching?

Options
  • 16-04-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I have no idea what the right term for this is, but I was thinking recently, when reading a guide to wine pairing. Certain foods complament certain wines in different ways. Some enhance each others flavour, some cut across the flavour.

There are dozens of books about matching food to beer, wine, whiskey etc.

But are there any books about matching foods with other foods? ie, why do some flavours go together so well, and others not? ie, pork and apple, lamb and mint go together, but pork and mint for example doesn't. Same with matching textures, colours etc.

It's essentially the fundamental science behind all recipes, but I've never come across a book which goes into detail on this. Has anyone ever published such a book?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

What you want is The Flavour Thesaurus. It came out late last year. The book takes the form of a thesaurus and lists 99 ingredients and suggests common and uncommon flavour matches for each of them.

Also, it looks gorgeous and the author discusses each combination in an anecdotal way. Great book. Got one for a chef friend for her birthday and wish that I had my own copy!

Should be easy to get, was very popular and sold out over Christmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What you want is The Flavour Thesaurus. It came out late last year. The book takes the form of a thesaurus and lists 99 ingredients and suggests common and uncommon flavour matches for each of them.

Also, it looks gorgeous and the author discusses each combination in an anecdotal way. Great book. Got one for a chef friend for her birthday and wish that I had my own copy!

Should be easy to get, was very popular and sold out over Christmas.

Yep, that. Have a copy myself!

Advertisement