Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Co.Kerry?

Options
  • 16-04-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My husband and I (13 year old son too) are looking to buy land somewhere in Kerry, but as we aren't aquanted with the area,'my husband is from Co. Meath, but has been living and working in Scotland for a number of years' we would appreciate some guidance on the best areas to look. Somewhere with a feel good factor, and nice scenery but close enough to shops etc;
    I liked the look of Kenmare, what do you think?
    Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Kenmare is beautiful and has excellent restaurants and bars. However, it can get very busy during the summer months with tourists so you will have to cope with thats. If you give a full description of whats important to you as a family ie.. school, amenities, transport etc, boardies may be able to give advice.

As my user name suggests Im a transplant but love living in Kerry and cant imagine moving back to the capital, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I agree with the last poster - you may need to give a few more guidelines etc. You also say you're thinking of buying some land? or do you mean site etc?
    Kenmare is lovely and easily accessible to Killarney. If you're looking at towns of similar size you also have Cahirciveen, Dingle, Killorglin and Milltown/Castlemaine.

Would you prefer a small town/village such as Castlegregory, Sneem, Kilgarvan instead? Some of these e.g. Causeway, Castlegregory have second level schools also so your 13 year old wouldn't need to travel too far.
    Do you want to be near the sea/airport/railway/bus route etc?

A "feel good" factor is harder to define but I'm sure other boardies will have their opinions.

And that's without looking at much of North Kerry at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Layla Lou

Thanks guys,
    sounds like Kerry is lovely.
    Yes we are trying to find a building plot, think that may be the most economical way to go, our son has 3 years left at High School in Scotland,but if we find the site now, then only the build to concentrate on when the move comes.
    List of priorities would be;
    1.Good College or University not too far away
    2.Hubby's a driving instructor, so nearby to a town
    3.Shops nearby, at least local food shops and take-aways,restaurants
    4.A place where people take pride in their community
    5.Nice scenery, doesn't matter much if it's near the sea or not.
    Any other areas which you think may fit the bill would be great!
    Many thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I think the first two things on your list puts you living within a reasonable radius of Tralee. So towns like Castlegregory, by the coast, or Milltown in land, would be options. Killorgan is a bigger town and might suit. Im not that familar with North Kerry so others may give you other ideas.

Killarney is another option but a site near town would be expensive - even in a recession. Mind you Kenmare is not a cheap town to buy in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Layla Lou wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    sounds like Kerry is lovely.
    Yes we are trying to find a building plot, think that may be the most economical way to go, our son has 3 years left at High School in Scotland,but if we find the site now, then only the build to concentrate on when the move comes.
    List of priorities would be;
    1.Good College or University not too far away
    2.Hubby's a driving instructor, so nearby to a town
    3.Shops nearby, at least local food shops and take-aways,restaurants
    4.A place where people take pride in their community
    5.Nice scenery, doesn't matter much if it's near the sea or not.
    Any other areas which you think may fit the bill would be great!
    Many thanks.:)

He'll find it hard to make a full time living out of a driving school in Ireland, they are 10 a penny at the moment....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Being near Tralee or Killarney does sound like your best bet but my one query would be re a "good" College or University. Tralee does have a 3rd level college but with a more limited range of subjects than a University. see http://www.ittralee.ie/en/

If this isn't suitable then you are looking at Cork or Limerick cities - and in practical terms he would have to stay in either city as the commute would be too long.
    If this is a no-no then you may perhaps have to change your focus and look at county Cork or Limerick/Clare??
    If Tralee IT is an option then places like Castlegregory, Fenit, Ardfert etc would be more practical - personally I would go west or south of the town.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Irish Fire wrote: »
    He'll find it hard to make a full time living out of a driving school in Ireland, they are 10 a penny at the moment....

I'll confirm this, being a driving instructor in Kerry is almost a no go .. unless he'll be happy doing no more than about 4-5 lessons a week. Driving instruction business' in Ireland in general are going to the wall so not a great industry to be in unfortunately

Also he will probably need to go through the ADI exams here aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    I'll confirm this, being a driving instructor in Kerry is almost a no go .. unless he'll be happy doing no more than about 4-5 lessons a week. Driving instruction business' in Ireland in general are going to the wall so not a great industry to be in unfortunately

Also he will probably need to go through the ADI exams here aswell..

Must be getting on for 70 ADIs in Kerry, according to this list:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Finding-an-instructor/Find-an-instructor/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Layla Lou

He was thinking of going for something different before we come over, as much of our business comes from the good reputation he has built up over the years and also recommendations, which would be of no use in a new Country!!
    What are the job prospects for HGV drivers in Ireland?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Layla Lou wrote: »
    He was thinking of going for something different before we come over, as much of our business comes from the good reputation he has built up over the years and also recommendations, which would be of no use in a new Country!!
    What are the job prospects for HGV drivers in Ireland?:confused:

I, for one, haven't a clue.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Must be getting on for 70 ADIs in Kerry, according to this list:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Finding-an-instructor/Find-an-instructor/

Yah, and a few of those have gone out of business

Advertisement