Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Back To Basics' Tourney Discussion

• 16-04-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. I have 32 combatants selected (thanks for the PM suggestions). I'm thinking of starting the tournament properly on Monday evening.

The theme of the tournament is 'the night'.

Commence idle speculation!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ash Williams to finally get a long deserved tournament victory.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

The world is plunged into a week long eclipse and the darkness summons its most heroic and infamous sons and daughters, for a battle of the agggggessssssssss

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Finally a tournament where I get to vote again. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just thought of a slew of characters I want to include... Might delay the launch in favour of a 64 combatant tourney. I'll need more suggestions though to fill the ranks.

We could call the tourney N64 (the N stands for night)

Still need about 20 characters...

PM me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Galvasean wrote: »
    Still need about 20 characters...

PM me!
    message sent. :D

Some nice suggestions there.
    Got a really nice variety going. Hopefully it all works.

9 places left :o

Wow, that was fast from 20 to 9 in five minutes.

I'm here if you need any advice on it.

• Advertisement

2 places left.... 3 if I'm sneaky...

2 places left.... 3 if I'm sneaky...
    Remember to beware the "Galactus" moment.*

*me putting SwampThing in Centralia, PA is an example

Roster full. Thanks for all the help guys :)

The draw is complete, and I think the final fight of round one will be an absolute slobber knocker!

64 combatants
    Regular rules so it will be very similar to the last tourney (albeit witha much changed roster).
    Based on the draw there is a 'home' and an 'away' combatant in each fight. The fight takes place in a location that the 'home' combtant is familiar with. However, the 'away' combatant is considered the aggresor and therefore has had time to plan their assault. The 'home' combatant is being taken by (relative) surprise.
    For example:
    If Batman were facing Scorpion the location would be the Batcave. In this incident Scorpion is considered to be attacking Batman so Batman might not have all of his gadgets immediately available to him.
    If Scorpion were facing Batman the location would be Scorpion's Lair and Batman would have time to prepare the necessary gadgets / stretegy etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I like that home and away rule. Could add an interesting dynamic to a lot of fights.

• Moderators Posts: 51,881 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

what a shocker, LZ voted for batman-bat :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

That was a pretty epic answer by Solitaire.

The rules have been updated.
    I originally forgot to state that all battles take place at night (as some combatants are much more combat effective at night, while others spontaneously combust during the day!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That was a pretty epic answer by Solitaire.

:o

I assumed that Batters' only chance would have been to inflict heavy damage in the first attack, but assuming he'd knocked out Smoke's internal weapon manufacturing bays (bear in mind we're talking about a guy who launches grenades, missiles, harpoons and friggin' timed micro-nukes from his body!) he'd just have to do a little... improvising ;) The result? A Smoke-Out/Tremor cross-hax :D
    The rules have been updated.
    I originally forgot to state that all battles take place at night (as some combatants are much more combat effective at night, while others spontaneously combust during the day!)

Anyone who didn't assume that from the get-go can leave right now :P

LZ will be pleased to know there are no fewer than 3 Resident Evil characters in this one.

• Advertisement

C'mon Smoke finish him already! I wanna get the next fight up and running before I go to bed so that I can post the next fight (I dont get back from work 'til after 9 tomorrow).

Forgot I could vote :o

I always abstained from voting in my tournaments.

I always abstained from voting in my tournaments.

Yeah, I was planning to avoid voting as much as possible. Decided to make an exception in this case as (barring a very unlikely comeback) Smoke was going to end up winning this bout while I was AFK. Since I won't be online 'til about half 9 tomorrow night I decided to put Man-Bat out of his misery - that way people could carry on with the next round tomorrow and not be waiting around all day for me to post up the combatants.

On the current match does Catman have his magic cape?

On the current match does Catman have his magic cape?

It's open to interpretation. Is Catman the kind of guy who brings his magic cape animal tracking or does he let his guard down?

I need to think on this.

Catman is highly capable when on-form but his form in general is patchy. And his opponent also has regen so I give him at least that, for what it avails him (not too sure about the other powers his cape has :o).

The cape supposedly just heals mortal wounds

• Advertisement

That's what I know about it too, good to know I'm not missing anything vital like a n00b :o:p

And even then if it brought him back from death's door, his opponent is all too used to cheap tricks like that as a veteran supernatural-hunter. Oh dear...

Forgot I could vote :o

Yeah, I was about to cast my vote and then saw the next fight was already up. Thought I'd been offline for too long, but no, lil Galva voted! Makes sense if there's an issue with the next bout going up I guess. I would have given the win to Smoke anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I concur with Kess, Spike sucks major ass.

:P

Catman sucks way worse :D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Solitaire wrote: »

I'll hold my hands up and say that I don't know much about Catman, but man I find Spike deeply irritating. He redeemed himself a little in Season 5 of Angel though!

Catman's name is enough for me to dislike him. I can just imagine him meowing. FACK OFF CATMAN!

• Advertisement

I didn't know much about him either, so had a long look at his track record. He's tough enough when on-form, but he spends more of his time as an out-of-condition has-been or locked up in some space penitentiary for supervillains, and even manages to look out of place there :D:P

Its also easy to underestimate Spike. He's somehow stayed in one piece (more or less :o) for nearly a decade switching between supervillain and antihero despite being up against an awful lot of supers over the years... but as they're not Marvel characters and Spike sounds a bit like your archetypical "all bark no bite" sarkyvillain I suspect he'll get little credit and a lot of hate :o

Gotta admit I was expecting Catman to be dead and buried by the time I got home tonight. He's putting up a good fight. The Dark Gods (they aren't done meddling yet) love a trier....

Next 2 fights should be fairly even contests, while the one after that features two of the tourney's most powerful (on paper) characters. The one after that.... is at a location which I don't think we've done anything quite like it before....

I didn't know much about him either, so had a long look at his track record. He's tough enough when on-form, but he spends more of his time as an out-of-condition has-been or locked up in some space penitentiary for supervillains, and even manages to look out of place there :D:P

Its also easy to underestimate Spike. He's somehow stayed in one piece (more or less :o) for nearly a decade switching between supervillain and antihero despite being up against an awful lot of supers over the years... but as they're not Marvel characters and Spike sounds a bit like your archetypical "all bark no bite" sarkyvillain I suspect he'll get little credit and a lot of hate :o

I think when you look at the opponents Spike has beaten compared to Catman, well, Catman is one of those characters they just have hanging about and occasionally drag in with a power boost when they want a surprise.

And with no power boost specified other than his trademark cape how on earth has he drawn level with Spike?!? :confused::eek: People seem to think that Spike is incapable of staying cool and make him fight like a rookie fledgeling. He's usually the one who analyses his opponent and gets under their skin, not the other way around! :p

And with no power boost specified other than his trademark cape how on earth has he drawn level with Spike?!? :confused::eek: People seem to think that Spike is incapable of staying cool and make him fight like a rookie fledgeling. He's usually the one who analyses his opponent and gets under their skin, not the other way around! :p

Yeah, must say I think Galva's vote was way off in that respect. Plus Spike has beaten faster foes than Catman. Plus Spike can take more punishment than Catman. Yes, Catman's cape heals him from a mortal wound... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't give him Wolverine-esque healing powers, from what I understand it's more like he's on the point of dying but he doesn't die, not that he heals fully.

• Advertisement

Spike has run in headlong loads of times in Buffy and Angel. Plus Catman's a taunter. Spike can dish that out but seems to lose his cool whenever they slag him back.

2 minutes until the match ends. Then I'm using a random number generator to pick a participant to cast the deciding vote.

Round 1, battle 3 is up

2-0 to that which claims it can be killed by no man
    However, does get messed up by women and hobbits.

FWIW, as far as 'claims' such as the Witch King, for the sake of the tourney they are considered little more than idle boasts, as there are one or two characters in the pot claiming invincibility.

I go by a little rule:
    "If it has matter... It can be destroyed!"

Really though the witch kiing says "no man" can kill him. In theory then Smoke could kill him with ease. Smoke is no longer a man

"I'm not a man. I'm Batman."

Buffy, nuff said.

I actually forgot how the Witch King died while casting my vote. He still would have taken Jason down, but I had an odd idea in my head that he fell when the big ol' eye went out. Silly me, forgot all about the Rohan lady etc. I really should watch those movies again, or possibly re-read the books again.

Koth wrote:
    Jason hacks away at the witch king and the wounds turn out to be fatal due to the blade being coated in the blood of dead women.

Awesome reasoning FTW.

Once again someone looked like they weren't going to make it through the night only to fight back with gusto!

• Advertisement
Advertisement