Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Back To Basics' Tourney Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Galvasean wrote: »
    Forgot I could vote :o

Yeah, I was about to cast my vote and then saw the next fight was already up. Thought I'd been offline for too long, but no, lil Galva voted! Makes sense if there's an issue with the next bout going up I guess. I would have given the win to Smoke anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I concur with Kess, Spike sucks major ass.

:P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Catman sucks way worse :D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Solitaire wrote: »

I'll hold my hands up and say that I don't know much about Catman, but man I find Spike deeply irritating. He redeemed himself a little in Season 5 of Angel though!

Catman's name is enough for me to dislike him. I can just imagine him meowing. FACK OFF CATMAN!

• Advertisement

I didn't know much about him either, so had a long look at his track record. He's tough enough when on-form, but he spends more of his time as an out-of-condition has-been or locked up in some space penitentiary for supervillains, and even manages to look out of place there :D:P

Its also easy to underestimate Spike. He's somehow stayed in one piece (more or less :o) for nearly a decade switching between supervillain and antihero despite being up against an awful lot of supers over the years... but as they're not Marvel characters and Spike sounds a bit like your archetypical "all bark no bite" sarkyvillain I suspect he'll get little credit and a lot of hate :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gotta admit I was expecting Catman to be dead and buried by the time I got home tonight. He's putting up a good fight. The Dark Gods (they aren't done meddling yet) love a trier....

Next 2 fights should be fairly even contests, while the one after that features two of the tourney's most powerful (on paper) characters. The one after that.... is at a location which I don't think we've done anything quite like it before....

I didn't know much about him either, so had a long look at his track record. He's tough enough when on-form, but he spends more of his time as an out-of-condition has-been or locked up in some space penitentiary for supervillains, and even manages to look out of place there :D:P

Its also easy to underestimate Spike. He's somehow stayed in one piece (more or less :o) for nearly a decade switching between supervillain and antihero despite being up against an awful lot of supers over the years... but as they're not Marvel characters and Spike sounds a bit like your archetypical "all bark no bite" sarkyvillain I suspect he'll get little credit and a lot of hate :o

I think when you look at the opponents Spike has beaten compared to Catman, well, Catman is one of those characters they just have hanging about and occasionally drag in with a power boost when they want a surprise.

And with no power boost specified other than his trademark cape how on earth has he drawn level with Spike?!? :confused::eek: People seem to think that Spike is incapable of staying cool and make him fight like a rookie fledgeling. He's usually the one who analyses his opponent and gets under their skin, not the other way around! :p

And with no power boost specified other than his trademark cape how on earth has he drawn level with Spike?!? :confused::eek: People seem to think that Spike is incapable of staying cool and make him fight like a rookie fledgeling. He's usually the one who analyses his opponent and gets under their skin, not the other way around! :p

Yeah, must say I think Galva's vote was way off in that respect. Plus Spike has beaten faster foes than Catman. Plus Spike can take more punishment than Catman. Yes, Catman's cape heals him from a mortal wound... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't give him Wolverine-esque healing powers, from what I understand it's more like he's on the point of dying but he doesn't die, not that he heals fully.

• Advertisement

Spike has run in headlong loads of times in Buffy and Angel. Plus Catman's a taunter. Spike can dish that out but seems to lose his cool whenever they slag him back.

2 minutes until the match ends. Then I'm using a random number generator to pick a participant to cast the deciding vote.

Round 1, battle 3 is up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

2-0 to that which claims it can be killed by no man
    However, does get messed up by women and hobbits.

FWIW, as far as 'claims' such as the Witch King, for the sake of the tourney they are considered little more than idle boasts, as there are one or two characters in the pot claiming invincibility.

I go by a little rule:
    "If it has matter... It can be destroyed!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Really though the witch kiing says "no man" can kill him. In theory then Smoke could kill him with ease. Smoke is no longer a man

"I'm not a man. I'm Batman."

Buffy, nuff said.

I actually forgot how the Witch King died while casting my vote. He still would have taken Jason down, but I had an odd idea in my head that he fell when the big ol' eye went out. Silly me, forgot all about the Rohan lady etc. I really should watch those movies again, or possibly re-read the books again.

Koth wrote:
    Jason hacks away at the witch king and the wounds turn out to be fatal due to the blade being coated in the blood of dead women.

Awesome reasoning FTW.

Once again someone looked like they weren't going to make it through the night only to fight back with gusto!

• Advertisement

I dunno, coated in women blood isn't the same as wielded by a woman... I'm pretty sure the blade that did the killing wasn't coated with female bluuuuud

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I dunno, coated in women blood isn't the same as wielded by a woman... I'm pretty sure the blade that did the killing wasn't coated with female bluuuuud

Fine, Jason beats the witch king to death with the corpse of a woman :P

anyways, it's a mystical weakness, who's to say that universe wouldn't agree with my interpretation of the rule ;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    Fine, Jason beats the witch king to death with the corpse of a woman :P

anyways, it's a mystical weakness, who's to say that universe wouldn't agree with my interpretation of the rule ;)

OH SUuuuuuuure, but the universe allowed Catman to wield his mystical cloak like a bloody god? I ask you sir, I ask you... how many times has Jason been shut down - many. The Witch King - Just once.

OH SUuuuuuuure, but the universe allowed Catman to wield his mystical cloak like a bloody god? I ask you sir, I ask you... how many times has Jason been shut down - many. The Witch King - Just once.

proof that the witch king is easier to kill than Jason :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The only being killed by a woman was a prophecy as opposed to any sort of protection that prevented him from being killed by a man. Thus can be safely ignored for the tournament.

However, Jason lacks weapons that could deal damage to the Witch King. The only reason that Eowyn was able to kill the Witch King was because Merry stabbed him with a blade of westernesse. This was what really messed the Witch King up and let Eowyn strike the final blow.

Orim wrote: »

However, Jason lacks weapons that could deal damage to the Witch King. The only reason that Eowyn was able to kill the Witch King was because Merry stabbed him with a blade of westernesse. This was what really messed the Witch King up and let Eowyn strike the final blow.

Exaaaaaactly... Koth. :cool:

Exaaaaaactly... Koth. :cool:

I shall not be swayed from my vote :P

You have to put it into context. Like werewolves only being able to be killed with silver... of course no one had rocket launchers in medieval times when that rule was written.

You have to put it into context. Like werewolves only being able to be killed with silver... of course no one had rocket launchers in medieval times when that rule was written.

It's something I cover in my werewolf novel... but this Witch King ain't no werewolf

• Advertisement

Nor did Jason think to bring a rocket launcher to the knife-fight :pac:

Advertisement