Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Back To Basics' Tourney Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The next match is up

New battle up. This one could be very interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Damn, meant to vote for Spawn! Glad he won anyway :D

Kess73's interpretation seems spot on to me. I'm surprised everyone else seems to have overlooked Freddy's built in weakness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

You must also consider though that persephone draws her power from the land of the dead. She is now in a corner of the Dreaming. There her power levels would be diminished

• Advertisement

You must also consider though that persephone draws her power from the land of the dead. She is now in a corner of the Dreaming. There her power levels would be diminished

Does she? Reading her profile on God of War wiki she seems pretty up to speed with the ins and outs of the dream world, hence her alliance with Morpheus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Galvasean wrote: »
    Does she? Reading her profile on God of War wiki she seems pretty up to speed with the ins and outs of the dream world, hence her alliance with Morpheus.
    Oh, I missed that part. Still I voting for melted cheese face. He looks lonely

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep, she is able to enter and leave dream worlds at will, and she has one other major plus point: she ain't alive in the conventional sense to begin with.

She has none of the human flaws that Freddy needs to power himself and his dreamworld, and she has everything needed to take Freddy out easily.

If Freddy cannot frighten someone then Freddy becomes less of a force. It's his main weakness, coupled with his other flaw which is the fact that he can be taken from his dreamworld by beings as weak as regular humans.

Plus given the amount of people that Freddy has killed in or through his dreamworld, it simply becomes another realm from which Persephone can draw power as she takes power from any location of death.

Guys. could you keep the chatter/discussion to this thread please?

Discussion in the discussion thread?! Mannnnn you're crazah!

• Advertisement

So now we have the character with the longest wiki page against the character with the longest name...

Vader kicked ass!
    Thanks guys, now I have to do some work on my birthday...

I fear one of my fave characters is about to get his ass handed to him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Is this angel punisher? Or Frankencastle? Or Max punisher?

If it's bog standard, he going dooown.

It's up to interpretation. Max Punisher is the one I'm most familiar with. Personally I think Frankencastle and Angel Punisher are lame plot devices...

I don't think that FrankenCastle would last long with Hades. His Angel version may have lasted longer, but I would still fancy Hades to win in a comfortable enough fashion as Angel Punisher was powered up to the level of a low to medium super rather than to the level of a high level super.

A good point raised by Kes73;
    Hellboy ftw if no deus ex machina is judged to be in play by Galv, otherwise Swarmlord ftw.

In regards to Kes73's query about what is and isn't a deus ex machina, I would say that every character in the tournament is killable. As I've stated before, there are characters purported to be immortal or even invincible, but for the sake of the tournament they can be killed (or at least have their physical form destroyed so they can no longer fight on and therefore lose).
    In Hellboy's case, his body can be ripped asunder to the point where he can no longer partake in the fight.
    As for the Swarmlord's ability to be resurrected, you have to kill him before he's resurrected, so for the sake of the tournament he only gets one life - the resurrection trick is too much of a deus ex machina for my liking.

Does that make things clearer?

A good point raised by Kes73;

In regards to Kes73's query about what is and isn't a deus ex machina, I would say that every character in the tournament is killable. As I've stated before, there are characters purported to be immortal or even invincible, but for the sake of the tournament they can be killed (or at least have their physical form destroyed so they can no longer fight on and therefore lose).
    In Hellboy's case, his body can be ripped asunder to the point where he can no longer partake in the fight.
    As for the Swarmlord's ability to be resurrected, you have to kill him before he's resurrected, so for the sake of the tournament he only gets one life - the resurrection trick is too much of a deus ex machina for my liking.

Does that make things clearer?

So we can have Hellboy/Swarmlord to the most powerful incarnation, just without the Deathless/regeneration aspects?

Kess73 wrote: »
    So we can have Hellboy/Swarmlord to the most powerful incarnation, just without the Deathless/regeneration aspects?

I think that's fair. AFAIK most people have been using the most powerful incarnation of every character so far.

I'm thinking I'll leave this battle open a bit longer than usual just to amke up for the initial confusion which may have deterred voting.

Hey Fewcifur, could you clarufy who you're voting for in this round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I read that as a vote for Spike.

Hey Fewcifur, could you clarufy who you're voting for in this round?

Spike... right? Why, what did I say?! :P

IT IS ON.

Bad ass round. Need to do reading.

just you wait 'til the next fight that's gonna close the round. Less of a fight.. more like a WAR!

Wow... never thought Batman would be in such trouble.

yes, Batman is screwed.:D

Buffy Summers, Frank Castle.... Bruce Wayne to?!?!!?!?

They were the best of us! Humanity is doomed!

From the competitors we've seen, I'd say nothing short of straight up God level powers are going to get people through the next round.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm starting to think Galva secretly hankers for a mecha tourney from all the super robots and armored vehicles he's throwing in :p How the heck are a bunch of realtypes supposed to counter a massive Dis Lev-infested nightmare that can Shoop Da Whoop nearly as bad as the Guyver anyway? :p

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    I'm starting to think Galva secretly hankers for a mecha tourney from all the super robots and armored vehicles he's throwing in :p How the heck are a bunch of realtypes supposed to counter a massive Dis Lev-infested nightmare that can Shoop Da Whoop nearly as bad as the Guyver anyway? :p

What the hell is... oh... you're saying Guyver! I kept reading that as McGuyver! Oooooh. Ok.

Advertisement