Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No for sale ads allowed

Options
  • 16-04-2011 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭

What are the criteriea for for sale ads in forums

i understand why airsoft and shooting have their for sale ads to keep the guns and gun replicas off the adverts.ie; but why for example can you post a classic car ad in classic cars but not a motorbike in motorbikes

a bike in cycling but not a fishing rod in angling

a golf club in golf but not a hockey stick in hockey

a canoe in canoeing (sp?) or a scuba mask in scubaing but not an i-pod in i-poding

seems like it should be one rule or another

put simply : can we please have a for sale thread in motorbikes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gordon wrote: »

thank you for your long and thought provoking reply

the classic cars forum has a supplementary for sale thread
    there is a for sale vintage and classic cars section in adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/cars-motorbikes-boats/vintage-classic/106/

and i would like the same for the users of the motorbike forum

Tigger wrote: »
    It wasn't long or thought provoking, but you're welcome for the info on where to buy motorbikes on boards :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Gordon wrote: »
    It wasn't long or thought provoking, but you're welcome for the info on where to buy motorbikes on boards :)

Any chance you could stop being so ignorant and answer his question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It depends on the forums and the mods.

I wouldn't be happy for there to be a For Sale thread in Motors as it would be manic busy and open to abuse, and potentially a whole load of work for little benefit.

Unkel is happy to have a For Sale section in Classic cars. He obviously feels it is a worthwhile addition to the community and that it is worth the hassle of maintenance.

Each forum has its own rules and its own community. If you want to know why a particular forum doesn't have a For Sale thread, PM the local mod.

As you know, there's currently discussion of whether Motorbikes should have a For Sale thread. It'll come down to whether it's needed (i.e. in addition to adverts.ie) and whether it will create additional hassle for the mods.

Edit: I just saw this in the Motorbikes thread
    P.C. wrote: »
    Sorry, but for the moment this is not going to happen.

I asked the 'powers that be' and was told that that is what www.adverts.ie is there for.

I am trying for a thread where you can post a link to the advert in adverts.ie.

So we have a reason why Motorbikes won't get a For Sale thread already. Is it that you want all the other For Sale threads shut down as you don't feel it's fair, or do you think boards.ie should compete with adverts.ie as a place to sell motorbikes?

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I don't have the answer mate, only a solution :)

No we want an answer why it won't happen, instead of being told it isn't going to happen.

What advantage does a one-post per user, no discussion, use-a-template thread have over Adverts.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Tigger wrote: »
    No we want an answer why it won't happen, instead of being told it isn't going to happen.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is how NOT to endear yourself to the powers that be.

"hello Mr DJ, can you play this song for me you ignorant wanker"

*stone wall no*

"Play it for me ****forbrains"

*not even listening to request even though the entire DJ desk is made from stacks of discs of the song you want*

Invaluable input snyper, thanks for that.

Chris, it will stop the thread from becoming a burden on the mods of the forum, as there will be no arguments about a bike being overpriced, in poor condition, etc etc.

• Advertisement

No, I know why it's one post each, no discussion etc., but I'm wondering what advantage that has over an adverts.ie ad.

No photos, no ability to discuss, no place to place an offer, poor searchability etc. etc.

What's the advantage/purpose of the thread?

Same reason that any other forum has a for sale thread

So you want one because other people have one, even though a superior solution is available?

-Chris- wrote: »
    So you want one because other people have one, even though a superior solution is available?

If we thought adverts.ie was the superior solution this thread wouldn't be here.

It depends on the forums and the mods.

I wouldn't be happy for there to be a For Sale thread in Motors as it would be manic busy and open to abuse, and potentially a whole load of work for little benefit.

Unkel is happy to have a For Sale section in Classic cars. He obviously feels it is a worthwhile addition to the community and that it is worth the hassle of maintenance.

Each forum has its own rules and its own community. If you want to know why a particular forum doesn't have a For Sale thread, PM the local mod.

As you know, there's currently discussion of whether Motorbikes should have a For Sale thread. It'll come down to whether it's needed (i.e. in addition to adverts.ie) and whether it will create additional hassle for the mods.

Edit: I just saw this in the Motorbikes thread

So we have a reason why Motorbikes won't get a For Sale thread already. Is it that you want all the other For Sale threads shut down as you don't feel it's fair, or do you think boards.ie should compete with adverts.ie as a place to sell motorbikes?

thats not a reason
    PC was told no because the powers that be won't let him so i'm asking if we can please have a reason that, for example classics can have a thread when there is a classic section in adverts but we can't have a thread in motorbikes

i didn't for one second think that the other threads should be shut

we give goods advice on bikes on fixing bikes on riding bikes on the overly complicated bike laws

thats what goes on in classics the two forums are similar

also run to the hills and i both ride classic bikes and drive classic cars

why not give us the thread and if it hard to police then close it

If we thought adverts.ie was the superior solution this thread wouldn't be here.

Excellent, then maybe I can ask this again:
    What's the advantage/purpose of the thread?

because last time I got a "just because" answer, which seems to be unacceptable. :)

the community (rermber thats what boards is) of m-bikes could sell each other their bikes

the 266 odd bikes for sale on adverts are nearly all by non boardsies like done deal or buy and sell

we as a community could sell to each other with trust etc

here is an example first one i clicked

http://www.adverts.ie/car/other-motorbikes/other-motorbikes/mini-chopper-harley-50cc/547013

this guy has sold 16 times on adverts but has only posted on boards once

so he sells on adverts but isn't a boardsie

i cant make it any clearer but being a boardsie used to count for something at least round here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What advantage does a one-post per user, no discussion, use-a-template thread have over Adverts.ie?

Knowledge of the poster and the sale. Seeing that KTRIC is selling his ZZR1400, knowing that he treated it well from his posts over the years and its a good deal might make me interested in a bike I wasn't looking to buy. Or KamiKazi's mint SV. The thread with one post per sale linking to adverts would make me aware at least that he was selling.

Its a community thing, something I thought boards.ie was all about.

• Advertisement

have you a link to that zzr1400?

Its a community thing, something I thought boards.ie was all about.

To me, that's all it's about, I'm just questioning the logic out of curiosity.

Me personally, I'd be happy putting the ad on adverts and putting the link in my sig. The same community would see the ad and anybody interested could contact me.

To me, that's all it's about, I'm just questioning the logic out of curiosity.

Me personally, I'd be happy putting the ad on adverts and putting the link in my sig. The same community would see the ad and anybody interested could contact me.

if a friend asked me to look out for a bike for him a for sale thread gives me a first stop

otherwise i have to randomly encounter a sig

and some people (me) turn off sigs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I allow a thread in the Coffee forum pointing to an adverts.ie sale as the equipment is obviously fairly niche. If I ever felt the forum was getting overrun with threads (which it certainly isn't) I'd put up a 'General FS' sticky for the regular users to take advantage of and benefit from.

No harm in suggesting something similar to the relevant moderators elsewhere, it's all dependant on the forum and it's users though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

One of the advantages of using adverts over a thread on boards is the users and mods are more clued in on how to spot scammers and timewasters etc.

That said, there are definite benefits to keeping sales within the relevant community on boards and I will always respect that. You know who you aree dealing with and chances are if the seller is an active member then you know the history behind what's for sale.

Endgame is if you want a wider audience then use adverts / carzone / donedeal / whatever but if you want to sell within the circle or people you are happy with and trust then a thread here is better. :)

Steve wrote: »
    One of the advantages of using adverts over a thread on boards is the users and mods are more clued in on how to spot scammers and timewasters etc.

That said, there are definite benefits to keeping sales within the relevant community on boards and I will always respect that. You know who you aree dealing with and chances are if the seller is an active member then you know the history behind what's for sale.

Endgame is if you want a wider audience then use adverts / carzone / donedeal / whatever but if you want to sell within the circle or people you are happy with and trust then a thread here is better. :)

while i agree 100% with this i would like to ad that we want the thread so we can buy off genuine people no so we can sell

the sellerts would be genuine community members by default

I allow a thread in the Coffee forum pointing to an adverts.ie sale as the equipment is obviously fairly niche. If I ever felt the forum was getting overrun with threads (which it certainly isn't) I'd put up a 'General FS' sticky for the regular users to take advantage of and benefit from.

No harm in suggesting something similar to the relevant moderators elsewhere, it's all dependant on the forum and it's users though.

we did but Pc (our mod) wasn't allowed the higher ups said he had to use adverts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm not disagreeing Tigger. Is there a link to somewhere that the mod concerned told you it was disallowed by the admis? Just curious about that. :)

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing Tigger. Is there a link to somewhere that the mod concerned told you it was disallowed by the admis? Just curious about that. :)

i know you wern'rt steve (i know your hard work from airsoft ads) i was just adding to it

the link is in the 6th post on this thread or here for you convinence
    P.C. wrote: »
    Sorry, but for the moment this is not going to happen.

I asked the 'powers that be' and was told that that is what www.adverts.ie is there for.

I am trying for a thread where you can post a link to the advert in adverts.ie.

Advertisement