Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French flags in Tramore

Options
  • 16-04-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Does anyone know why there are loads of blue, white and red flags and balloons all around the town of Tramore? Is there a match on, or what? I asked a few locals but nobody could give me an answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There is a delegation over from a French town that's being twinned with Tramore.

There's a function at the Racecourse, 1 this afternoon and again in the evening.

The pub/hotel/restaurant with the best French themed shopfront will win dinner for 2 at La Boheme.

I was out in Tramore for the afternoon at something else and a lot of local people did not know anything about what was happening. I don't think the organisers publicised it enough but after what I heard from 2 different sources on how a business was treated in an appalling manner by one of the organisers then it's just another example of shoddy planning.

The business concerned was asked to donate a product that takes time to make after another business wouldn't donate similar product. After this business made the product the organiser turned around and said the product was no longer needed because the business that had refused to donate originally changed their mind possibly after seeing the business that made the product listed as a contributor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Guramoogah wrote: »
    Does anyone know why there are loads of blue, white and red flags and balloons all around the town of Tramore? Is there a match on, or what? I asked a few locals but nobody could give me an answer.

EU/IMF cutbacks.

To save on the cost of producing our own flag we are using the French ones. Its all just economies of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

dayshah wrote: »
    EU/IMF cutbacks.

To save on the cost of producing our own flag we are using the French ones. Its all just economies of scale.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Henry is on trial with tramore rangers....

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Tramore is being twinned with the French commune of Cadaujac, which is close to the city of Bordeaux, apparently. Keep a eye on the expenses claims as the local town councillors take regular Ryanair flights over and back from Waterford airport to Bordeaux in the coming months / years.

Wasn't Waterford City twinned with a Breton commune back in the 1980's? All we got out of that was a housing estate called San Herblain Park, and I doubt very much that the French contributed one centime towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Cadaujac is a few miles away from Bordeaux, so there are good opportunities for Tramore and Waterford to develop commerical links.

Regarding the councillors, yeah they may fly over once or twice a year, so what. There are no fancy hotels in Cadaujac - actually there are no hotels and councillors stayed with citizens of Cadaujac any time they were over there as far as I know. There is currently no flight between Waterford Airport and Bordeaux, but maybe that will return now that the twinning link has been established.

Waterford City is twinned with 3 other cities. Why would "the French" contribute towards the cost of a housing estate in the city? That's not what twinning is about - it seems to be about developing a social/cultural connection between 2 places, not just a commercial/business link.

The town twinning between Tramore and Cadaujac was covered in the local papers several times over the last 12 months. The most recent Tramore Advertiser had stuff about it too - that gets delivered to every house in the town. All local businesses, schools and community groups would have known about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Here Here Psychadelic!

some people really have nothing to do but whinge & complain about things they couldn´t be bothered finding out about!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Well comeraghs, seeing as you've nothing worthwhile to contribute to this discussion, please feel free to pass your stale gas elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I for one welcome our new French overlords :pac:

Advertisement