Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 4th attempt!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

LaHaine wrote: »
    I hate you!!

ouch, don't worry, we all have our nemisis, and mine is the bike!! hate the bloody thing!!

after my run yesterday, got a phone call to play 5 a side, finished run at 6.30,soccer at 7-8.30, was wrecked this morning, felt like i had hit the wall, in no form for any training today! lads were doing the circuit training again in the soccer pitch so went up to help them time it, ended up doing a set myself near the end and managed my best time of 12.30 so day wasn't a total waste!!

third month....disaster...
    66.915miles running
    23.5 cycling
    weight 12st 10!!
    lost motivation with my scales mishap, and used that as an excuse to ease up on the training, no extra motivation needed now as the race is coming closer every day! going to try a make the last month count, so am making a statement...beer is gone!!!!! ( till after gaelforce anyway):)

though i only ran 66 miles this month, i should be happy with the 2 previous months where i put in 100 miles each, and the last couple of weeks has been short and sharp and hopefully that will help me on the day!! really looking forward to westport now, am getting all tingly!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

Lads iv decided to do the Gaelforce..

An immense amount of training needed in the next month but think im up to it.

Just wondering what is the exact gear needed for the day itself??

Thanks

smurph10 wrote: »
    Lads iv decided to do the Gaelforce..

An immense amount of training needed in the next month but think im up to it.

Just wondering what is the exact gear needed for the day itself??

Thanks

its all on the website, under course and then mandatory kit pops up,basically its

.basic first aid (plasters,bandage's)
    .survival blanket + whistle
    .your'e own food + drink as food won't be provided during the event
    .cycle gear( helmet punture repair kit) which can be left at bike transition
    .map which will be given to you at registration
    .clothing (gloves hat water proof top
    .small rucksack to carry all equipment

they check it at registration, and are fairly strict. during the race you will see people carrying all that gear in just their cycling tops and is a big advantage over a heavy bag on your'e shoulder's

• Advertisement

3 miles this lunch time,
    went out very quick,(quick for me) and died a death the last mile
    1st mile; 6min
    2nd mile;13.22 ""7.22""
    3rd mile; 21.07 ''7.45''

into the last month now for gaelforce, hope i'm ready for it!:eek:

26ks 61mins on the bike, don't know if that is good or bad, but my legs feel like they are not there anymore!! hate cycling!!:mad:

37.5 ks in 97mins! (bike)
    2 mile run
    6 hill sprints!!

am now going to bed, not sure if i will wake up.... my tank is empty!!!:(

sat 23rd
    went to leitrim to meet herself's family on fri, got up eary on sat morning and ran 8 miles. hilly enough course and took me 58mins! very comfortable pace and had recovered from the bike training during the week!!

40.28k's in 1hr 28mins on the bike
    avg speed 27.4kph
    top speed 54.3kph

thats 3 spins on the bike now in 6 days, hopefully it will bear fruit on race day, 25 days left now... eek!!

• Advertisement

bike again this evening,
    dist; 32.64 ks
    time; 69 mins
    avg speed 27.3 kph
    max speed; 51 kph

first 14 k was gentle incline, last 18 k's was mostly flat and a bit downhill! legs are getting used to the bike, but i still don't like it:)

up early this morning, did a bit of a brick session (accidently on purpose), used a new route today so decided to run it first, then cycle it to find the distance!

run; 9.26k's in 40 mins
    cycle; 9.26k's in 23 mins

run was fine and wasn't under pressure, apart from the 2 hills on the course,legs seemed lighter than normal, is the dreaded cycling helping me??:)

ps. am also back soccer training as of last thurs night, and trained tuesday as well!! so hopefully that sharp training will helpfor the race as well!!

no training fri as i had soccer match sat morning and wanted to be fresh, and am trying to stay injury free and listened to my body..for once!! match went fine and felt really strong and fit, went to the vee in lismore yesterday for a romantic walk with herself (have to keep her happy):)! walked down to the lake and around the pathways for an hour and a bit, great to just stretch the legs and just enjoy the outdoors!

today ; bike
    distance; 40.31k's
    time ;1 hr 26mins
    avg spd ; 28kph
    max spd ; 48.30kph

long cycle in gaelforce is 33.5k's, had that done in 1hr 11mins, happy with that time, but though it was a hilly course i did, its hard to train for the last 4 k's before c.p, as i cant put the bike through that as its not mine, and as a result come race day will be worried bout punture's and bike failure, and lack of off road training!

had soccer training last night again, as its still pre-season lots of sprints and running involved so fitting in nicely!
    up at 6 this morning for a run with the lads to try and get used to start time at gaelforce,
    1 1/4 mile warm up, followed by 6 hill sprints then 1 1/4 mile warm down back to the car!
    bike now this evening and starting to feel fit:P

did the bike again as promised this evening,
    dist; 38.65k's
    time; 1hr 20mins
    avg spd; 28.6kph
    max spd; 53.9kph

staring to enjoy this bike lark (he whispered quietly)!!!

had a match again last night, another 90mis under the belt,
    today;
    run, 6miles in 39mins
    cycle 6mile 22 mins!
    took the run handy enough after the match last night, and am surprised at the time, had no watch with me so just started the stopwatch on my phone when i left and checked it when i got back and it was a good surprise, think i,ve done enough on the bike this week so just stretched the legs and cycled the route i ran!

took the wknd off and fell all the better for it!
    today;
    went to the woods with one of the lads , they made up a new route and so went to check it out, roughly 5.5ks and very hilly, did 1 circuit of this then a 22k cycle afterwards!!easy enough pace as the woods were wet and slippy and one of the other lads tripped up there last fri night and is going to struggle to be ready for gaelforce, fingers crossed for him!!

5k run around the pitch last night, week to go... hurry up!!

as i might of mentioned in previous post's, 4 of us have done this race the last 2 years, while i was out injured they continued doing other races (wicklow dingle and the ring of kerry) they decided to try and get sponsered for a set of jersey's, well i just got mine today, phew... their tight:D so if anyone out there see's ''midleton adventure racer's'' plastered across a white jersey, there's a 1 in 4 chance it's me, obviously if that person is coughing and sputering around the course.....it's 1 of the other guys!!:D

11 k run in the woods tonight with one of the buddy's again, was hilly course and very slippy underfoot, 64 mins but we were taking it easy-ish as so close to the big day

• Advertisement

small spin on the bike today;
    dist; 18k
    time; 35mins
    avg spd; 30.7
    max spd 43.7

last long spin on the bike tomorrow with the buddy, then sauna and hot tub for the week:)

didn't get out for any spin yesterday, so went for a quick one this evening before i dropped the bike in for a service;
    short 10k on the bike, then did a 5k run at roughly race pace took me 20.45. would hope to be going a little faster than this for the first run which took me 64 mins last year, if i can get to the kayaks in around 60 mins i will know that i am hopefully on target to go under 4.30(fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

What wave are you in centre back? I'm in the 06:30 wave, hoping the ground won't be too broken up by then with the weather predicted!

EDIT: Just checked my registration, I'm in the 06:00 wave not the 06:30, I'll be finished faster so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

It's already pretty cut up in places. Lots more rain today so I don't think it'll improve much. In the 6.00 wave myself, so about 700 people ahead of me I think. Gonna get muddy.

KoemansCC wrote: »
    What wave are you in centre back? I'm in the 06:30 wave, hoping the ground won't be too broken up by then with the weather predicted!

went for the first wave koeman, not because i think i can win it, but because i think if i went any later i wouldn't make the cut off point for cp!!

have been happy enough with normal runners last 2 years, but since reading about all the bad weather, and shoe choice's i'm starting to get worried!! too late now anyway!! guess it's a case of ''knowing too much''!:)

got the mail out today, it's getting closer can't wait, light session with the soccer club tonight, then a easy 5 k tomorrow and thats it! hard to stop training am just trying to ease myself down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

have been happy enough with normal runners last 2 years, but since reading about all the bad weather, and shoe choice's i'm starting to get worried!! too late now anyway!! guess it's a case of ''knowing too much''!:)

got the mail out today, it's getting closer can't wait, light session with the soccer club tonight, then a easy 5 k tomorrow and thats it! hard to stop training am just trying to ease myself down!!

I'm going for standard running shoes as well.

I thought about buying trail shoes but by the time I saved up it was too late to break a pair in.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm going for standard running shoes as well.

I thought about buying trail shoes but by the time I saved up it was too late to break a pair in.

to be fair the normal runners have served me well so far!! just last minute nerves! bit like wondering should i stop training now are try and keep the training ticking over till the weekend? have decided to go soccer training with the club tonight, then 5 k tomorrow and try and rest up then. hard to judge, but everyone is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

to be fair the normal runners have served me well so far!! just last minute nerves! bit like wondering should i stop training now are try and keep the training ticking over till the weekend? have decided to go soccer training with the club tonight, then 5 k tomorrow and try and rest up then. hard to judge, but everyone is different!

Easy 5K last night for me. Will go for a spin on the bike tonight and then a swim and jacuzzi tomorrow. Have to get a bike rack on Thursday evening so no that'll be it until the race.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    Easy 5K last night for me. Will go for a spin on the bike tonight and then a swim and jacuzzi tomorrow. Have to get a bike rack on Thursday evening so no that'll be it until the race.

am lucky that way,one of the lads has a toyota hilux so the bikes will all fit in that, hoping to get to a jacuzzi myself at some stage, thankfully the place we are staying has one as well for after race relaxation!!

Advertisement