Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 4th attempt!!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

fri 13th!!
    1 1/2hours of yoga early this morning, felt tight all week so was looking forward to yoga, and have to say i felt great after it very loose and free. match then last night and lasted 80mins so happy enough!!
    saturday; legs and back + ab ripper x completed already this morning so day is free to realax!! am also following a new blog from a guy in kildare who is planning to train every day this year between swimming running and cycling, its on word press and is called ''try366''! apparently he only took up running last year and completed his first adventure races ''gaelforce sea2summit and a few more''. so its quite interesting!

well into my 3rd week now of the programme and sticking to it, only shame is i'm missing out on a lot of running time due to the lenght of the dvd's, hopefully in the long run it will pay off

today was plyometrics day and it is far and away my favourite excercise of the programme! am starting to see improvments in my movement and recovery between sets!
    got out for a run this evening, a very slow 1 with 2 of the lads and a sister of 1 of the lads, 11k in 64mins, hate running so slow but on the up side i managed to get an unplanned 11k in the legs so am happy enough!!

day 17 and still goin strong, herself going to oz for 4 months might turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to me...:) programmes are long and with them all being at least 1hr,plus an extra 15mins for the ab workout 3 out of the 7 days of the week, and yoga tomorrow is 1hr 30mins but it is helping me keep my mind of being so lonely....:(!

hour and a half of yoga first thing this morning and i feel great all day after it, downside is i have to get started by 6.30 in the morning so i can fit in the workout. i am really looking forward to my match later as i am totally free of stiffness/soreness that you pick up in 29 years of running around the place. must admit i am sorry i didn't try yoga earlier as it really does give your'e body a re-vitalising lift!!

• Advertisement

sat 21st; legs and back workout sun 22nd was kempo, tomorrow is stretching so am looking forward to that!!

stretching this morning then some intervals this evening with my 2 buddies, basically we did 3 loops of the soccer pitch at 6min/mile pace then jog easy half a lap, then repeat x8 times, 3 laps of the pitch works out at .6 of a mile, so all in all we ran 4.8 miles at 6min pace and we were fairly comfortable at that so hopefully we might make this a regular monday night thing and mght help us push up the pace!!

well have completed the first 3 week block session of the programme, and should of started the rest week today, but after looking into the p90x website i have decided to extend the original 3 week block to 4, which is allowed by the guidelines if you feel up to it. the reason i want to do this is for the simple reason that i am very happy with the results so far, while i have lost only 6lbs so far in the 3 weeks (12st'12-12st'6), i can see/feel changes in my body, soccer training is easier, my running form has become more fluent and after a match i am able to actually move the next day, as before if the match was fri night,,it would be weds before the creeks would settle down! must say yoga and the plyometric workouts are defo the workouts which i have gained the most from, and hopefully come august in westport i might break 4 hrs, as with the injury last year and limited training time i was just 20 mins outside that! all in all a good start to the year!

plyometrics again today, and i am wrecked after it!!

shoulders and arm workout today, yoga tomorrow so looking forward to that. have no game this wknd so plan on a 11k tomorrow night with the lads, then a cycle on saturday, been so long since i was on a bike.... think it was gaelforce actually eek... that should be fun!!

• Advertisement

just finished the yoga there and feel good, am just about starting to be able to hold nearly all the poistions and its a great feeling getting that little bit extra of a stretch than the time before. that little cycle that i mentioned yesterday now seems to be 80k..eeek... worst of all the 2 boys will be on road bikes while i will be using a hybrid, a big jump from no cycling to that but sure no pain no gain!!:D

had a bigger log written, but it didn't upload, so basically what was supposed to be a 80 k bike ride turned into 100k, un-expected change of distance but feel good to have it under my belt now and a good sign that the workouts are proving positive!

with the cycling sat, and kempo sunday i didn't get to do back & legs until today, which is usually a stretch/rest day! tomorrow see's the start of the recovery week which is as follows;
    day 1;yoga
    day2; core synergistics
    day3; kempo
    day4;stretch
    day5;core synergistics
    day6;yoga
    day7;rest/stretch

so have the first block of training done now, am down 6lbs, which is fantastic as i'm not really following the diet plan though i am doing my best to be some what responsible! am looking forward to trying some new stuff now this week and hopefully i can keep motivated for the next 60 days!

tonight me and the lads went to the pitch to try and do some intervals again like last week but after 2 warm up laps we could see that the surface was just too wet and we were slipping all over the place, so we headed out on too the roads and did a 5.5 mile run at a comfortable pace, 46 mins to do it, but the legs were still a bit heavy from the cycle so in the end i was secretly happy that the intervals were not done! forgot to say that last weds i brought the plyometrics dvd up to the clubhouse where i play soccer and let my two buddies try it out, although they were in bits after it they want to make it a weekly thing as i have been singing its praises for the last 4 weeks now, it is a fantastic workout so hopefully they can benifet from it aswell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

with the cycling sat, and kempo sunday i didn't get to do back & legs until today, which is usually a stretch/rest day! tomorrow see's the start of the recovery week which is as follows;
    day 1;yoga
    day2; core synergistics
    day3; kempo
    day4;stretch
    day5;core synergistics
    day6;yoga
    day7;rest/stretch

so have the first block of training done now, am down 6lbs, which is fantastic as i'm not really following the diet plan though i am doing my best to be some what responsible! am looking forward to trying some new stuff now this week and hopefully i can keep motivated for the next 60 days!

tonight me and the lads went to the pitch to try and do some intervals again like last week but after 2 warm up laps we could see that the surface was just too wet and we were slipping all over the place, so we headed out on too the roads and did a 5.5 mile run at a comfortable pace, 46 mins to do it, but the legs were still a bit heavy from the cycle so in the end i was secretly happy that the intervals were not done! forgot to say that last weds i brought the plyometrics dvd up to the clubhouse where i play soccer and let my two buddies try it out, although they were in bits after it they want to make it a weekly thing as i have been singing its praises for the last 4 weeks now, it is a fantastic workout so hopefully they can benifet from it aswell!!

Are you still playing ball on top of that?

hardCopy wrote: »
    Are you still playing ball on top of that?

ya i am, it seems a lot when its written down, but the days i train for soccer (tues&thurs) i do chest and back early in the morning tues, so say i am up at 6 and am showered,fed and ready or work by 8, then on thurs its shoulders and arms and do those early in the morning as well, then matches are mostly friday nights as most clubs have floodlights now, and friday is yoga day so am able to get that done before the game, as for away game on a sunday that was kempo day and what i tend to do is skip the shower after the game and come straight home and do that workout then get cleaned up! the only time i'm under pressure is if i'm playing an away game on the sunday in the morning, then managing the u-19s after lunch, then it gets tricky but have managed to cope with it so far! and if truth be told the fact that herself is off travelling oz for 4 months has given me loads of extra time to fit in the work, and i really want to smash 4 hours in gaelforce in august, and i feel with all this extra work early in the year it should give me a decent stab at it, this time last year i was 2 stone heavier and couldn't walk without cringing in pain, and yet i was able to knock 24 mins off the previous years time at gaelforce with just 4/5months training. being injured is possibly the best motivation i've ever had, so when i don't feel like getting up early to do these workouts or when it's raining and cold outside. i just suck it up and remember how grumpy i was last year when i wasn't able to do anything! and sure look..... i can rest when i'm dead!!:D

s0 in to my first day of the recovery week, and day one was yoga which was a welcome change from all the push ups/pull ups which was the norm for the last 4 tuesdays! tomorrow is core synergistics so that should be interesting to change it up a little!! + just back from soccer training aswell so my energy levels should get a boost this week with the relaxed work load!!

first time doing the core synergistics and it's fairly basic and in keeping with the rest week portion of this programme! kempo now tomorrow then soccer in the evening, that should keep me going!

reading through other logs i see people are stating their monthly totals, and as i found this helpful myself last year i said i'd join in, so here we go;
    run= 40.8 miles (6 runs):(
    cycle=100.09 kilometers( 1 cycle:D)!
    running is a bit of a let down with only 6 runs, though i am spending at least an hour every day training with my p90x programme it is only realistic that something has to miss out! as for the cycle... 100k is more than i've ever done in a month i'd say never mind in just 1 attempt, so hopefully i can keep this up every wknd and that should surely help me improve my cycle time for gaelforce which was 1.21 i think??

kempo today, tried to work up a sweat with this so kept the intensity as high as i could, plus i wore 2 extra tops so i got a really good sweat!! soccer training tonight as well!

1 hour of stretching today, though i don't find it as good as the yoga routine it is half an hour shorter, and i am still getting something positive from it!!
    pm, just back from a comfortable 11k run (51mins) with the buddie, took it easy as we are cycling tomorrow!

• Advertisement

last week it was too cold, today its too wet!:mad: met the lads this morning at 8.15 to get ready for our cycle, and it was pissing out of the heaven's! the original plan was to do another 100k, but a different route this time, from midleton to mitchelstown! we wanted to get a spin in so we decided we would go as far as rathcormac which is roughly 24k away and decided that if it stayed dreary we could turn back or carry on if it brightened up. when we got to rathcormac it was still raining, but then we said sure look we'll go as far as fermoy.....do you get where this story is going???:rolleyes:! got to mitchelstown any way or just beyond it to hit the 50km mark, coming back out it is a serious drag for nearly a mile on the old cork/dublin road until you get to the kilworth army camp, was nearly the death of me! then just about4 km's from fermoy i had my first encounter with a stupid road user in a car since i stared cycling. a car is coming out of a side road and instead of looking at oncoming traffic from the right side of the road, she and her passenger are both looking to there left for traffic coming from the left... the opposite side!! i started roaring at her and at the last min she stopped about 3 feet away from knocking me off the bike. she was about to pull out on the road without looking at the traffic coming from her side lucky i wasn't hurt as she was moving fairly quick at the time, imagine if i were an oncoming truck..she wouldn't of had a chance!! lets just say i let her know as i wasn't happy, no verbals i assure you, but by crikey i gave her some look of disgust!!!:) rest of the journey home was quite uneventful with the 3 of us doing our best to kill each other at every sign of a hill where we took turns doing some ''mark cavendish'' type uphill sprinting and recovering on the decents to some degree while trying to keep the avg pace high

am in bits from the cycle on saturday but still managed to get out for some intervals tonight!! pitch is destroyed after all the rain so we did them on a local walk way. the route we took is .6 of a mile, and we would run get a breather then go off again! completed 8 of these prob should of stayed at home to be honest as with beeing out yesterday for rugby/soccer match it took its toll:(

tues 8th! was still sore/tired after the cycle and the intervals last night, so instead of starting the first block of training for week 5,6 & 7 i just went to soccer training instead! 1 1/2 hours of short sharp running and ball work and am very tired after it! age is catching up:(!

today; plan is to start the programme. albeit a day late but am sure it wont cause me 2 much problems!

this 3 week block is;

chest,shoulders&triceps+ab ripper
    plyometrics
    back&biceps+ab ripper
    yoga
    legs&back+ab ripper
    kempo
    rest or stretch

right so started the 2nd block of training today that i should of begun yesterday, but was to tired/ sore after the wknd! got home round 5 ish and started ''chest,shoulders & triceps + ab ripper x'' flew through this and as today is usually plyometrics day and i have started to show my two buddies this routine for the last 2 weeks, i headed up to the clubhouse where we use the function room to do the routine as its more spacious, usually i just set up the laptop and help the guys through the routine, but today one of the lads couldn't make it at the last min so i said i'd join in with kev as it's a pain doing it by your'e self! have to say it's the best i have been at this since i started, having someone else pushing you is very good and on the plus side i am back on song with the days now so when i have the match friday night i will only have yoga to do in the morning and not ''back&biceps +ab ripper'' which hopefully will leave me fitter for game time¬¬

on a lighter note, i did an experiment with the weighing scales this morning..... weighed myself, then proceeded to the toilet to...... ahem.... and weighed myself again afterwards!!! some shock to see a 1lb 2ounce's difference!!:D:D

back & biceps today, enjoyed this and so far the weeks training seems easier??? have i got stronger?? or are have i just adapted more to the workout's as some are variations of the first block... can really see i am getting stronger and starting to see difference in body shape, still moving between 12st 4-12st 7 on any given day, but still want to get to 12 even if i can! yoga to morrow so happy days

yoga again!!i am still getting better with the moves every week, but while my movements and positions are improving its still a great workout. the amount of sweat is crazy when you are trying to hold those pose's!! will be making my own dvd soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

Great progress. I'm starting P90X in 3 weeks. A little out of shape so slightly nervous about it. Are you doing the diet program also? What's your total weight loss so far? Any change in body fat % / composition?

hubiedubie wrote: »
    Great progress. I'm starting P90X in 3 weeks. A little out of shape so slightly nervous about it. Are you doing the diet program also? What's your total weight loss so far? Any change in body fat % / composition?

hey, sorry bout the late reply, laptop has been down for awhile and only got it back up running there! weight loss i am happy with as of this morning i am 12st 3lbs, thats from a starting weight of 12st 12lbs!! i am not following the diet at all but i am trying to be better with my decisions regards food a drink!! body fat%???? sorry not a clue!! best off luck with it as its really worth while!!

run transition bike c.p bike 2 overall final time
    1:08:42 18:50 1:53:34 1:16:56 34:06 4:12:07 4:53:17

run end kayak end run end mt.bottom summit mt.bottom finish
    1:04:35 '' '' 1:16:04 1:34:54 3:08:25 3:48:09 4:08:37 4:44:29
    18:50 1:33:31 39:44 20:28 35:52

run end '' '' kayak end run end mt.bottom summit mt.bottom finish
    1:06:05 1:14:22 1:32:44 2:56:25 3:30:55 3:47:59 4:20:41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Lancaster7

Hey, congrats on getting back into P90X I just bought insanity in advance prep for my wedding in May! Looking forward to comparing results/tales of pain :)

Advertisement