Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a plane

Options
  • 16-04-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi bought a silverlit x twin sports flyer a few months ago.I really enjoy it but find it very light and hard to control if there is even a small amount of wind.So I am looking for something that can be flown in wind and is suitable for a beginner.Any suggestion apperciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

Here's a thread on planes for beginners. There might be something useful in there for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea i recommended the parkzone radian in that thread myself, i still fly them for aerial videos and FPV and am flying a fair few years now so they are good even for experienced flyers. Have flown them in very windy conditions but that would take a bit of experience but it is possible. But I recommended them to a few and any that got them seemed happy. They have a 6 foot 6 inch wing span so they are a decent size. At the moment they are around €200 on
    http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/search.php. Just put radian into the search and its down the list after the spare parts. The RTF (ready to fly) version. Have a look and see.

Prosperous dave on the other thread thunder linked to was one of the first i recommended the radian to and he started with it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Thanks for the replies had a look over they other thread and seems that the radian would be a good choice.Found it here for 155 pounds which is the be the best price I could find.Couldn't find out if the website you posted robbie delivered to Ireland ?. Will have a think about any ways and let ye know what I decide to get.

John85 wrote: »
    Couldn't find out if the website you posted robbie delivered to Ireland ?.

They do post to ireland, £15 sterling i think it is postage from there. Once you register and add to cart you can see the shipping cost.
    Probably the same from sussex models as well, i ordered stuff from both sites before.

Thanks for the help Robbie few more questions if you don't mind :).It says on thesussex-model site that the plane is Mode 2 (Throttle Left) just wondering what this means.I was also looking at videos on youtube and the appear to can go fairly high, are the easy to see and control when the the go high ( I have vision of a gust of wind catching it and saying good bye to my money)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help Robbie few more questions if you don't mind :).It says on thesussex-model site that the plane is Mode 2 (Throttle Left) just wondering what this means.I was also looking at videos on youtube and the appear to can go fairly high, are the easy to see and control when the the go high ( I have vision of a gust of wind catching it and saying good bye to my money)

Mode 2 is what you want without any doubt, its what everyone will be using here, almost anyway. I seen others get mode 1, and it will put anyone on it in a very closed off position with regard to flying other peoples aircraft to assist them, or others to assist you etc. Its just different controls on different sticks. Mode 1 has throttle on right stick, you wont be wanting that.

The radians can reach quite a high altitude, visual altitude range would be well over 1000 feet anyway, and the radio range will be a couple of km`s, but you will probably keep it well below that ost of the time.

While learning, its best to fly on calm days, i have flown them on very windy days and on them days its best to keep them upwind of your position which is then easier to keep control and know that its getting closer to you if the wind causes it to drift toward you, rather than farther away by flying it downwind, then struggle to get it back.

Thanks for all the help Robbie ,went ahead and ordered it.Hopefully will have it to try out this week while the weather is good.While let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all the help Robbie ,went ahead and ordered it.Hopefully will have it to try out this week while the weather is good.While let you know how I get on.

There is a fair bit of power in the motors of them so a bit of care is needed for the first flight.

Where are you living?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    There is a fair bit of power in the motors of them so a bit of care is needed for the first flight.

Where are you living?

Are the easy to learn to fly as this is only my second rc plane?.The silverlit x twin sports was a great plane from taking crashes and not getting damaged are these pretty strong?I'm in Clare.

Are the easy to learn to fly as this is only my second rc plane?.The silverlit x twin sports was a great plane from taking crashes and not getting damaged are these pretty strong?I'm in Clare.

They are tough enough alright, but no plane is indestructable, but they will take a fair bit of abuse.

They are easy to learn to fly, and if you have any experience at all then its even easier. How do you manage the silverlit?

The radian when you launch them on full throttle tend to climb a bit steep and will do a loop if you dont keep control of it as you launch it, so you sort of have to feed in a little down elavator as you are climbing, but they dont seem to do it as steeply as they used to, like they slightly changed the design or something, but its something to be aware of.

Trim the elevator (radio trims) so its perfectly level before the first flight, we actually trimmed it very slightly down in fact, and the rudder nice and straight also.

I have a multiplex cularis also, and that also requires a little down elavator on full throttle to keep it from climbing too steeply, as the cularis and radian need to be trimmed so they fly level when gliding, and so they climb steeply under power.

Put the radio switch on the right into LO position, its the movement rates switch, so it will reduce your chance of over reactions.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice robbie.I can fly the silverlit fairly well but I needed perfectly calm conditions otherwise it would take off in the breeze.The silverlit only had only throttle control so the radian will be a big change.Had no word yet if the plane was shipped yet so don't know if I will have it this week.Did sussex models sent your orders by courier or is it an-post?

I dont think i ordered any models off them, just parts, so im not sure about that.

If you have never flown with throttle, elevator and rudder control you might have a bit of difficulty, someone experienced with you would make it a lot easier. The radian is easy to fly but i have seen some people finding it not so easy even after having another smaller plane before it.

The biggest thing that puts people off is trying it themselves and then giving up because they think its too hard after a few crashes.

Got it today.Now just have to set it up.

You just need to insert the tail plane in so its square and centred, and you just tape it into position, then get the control wire through the elevator horn, this bit might be easier before you tape the tail plane in position.

Put the carbon spar into one wing, then wings can be put together through the fuselage.

Battery will need to be fully charged which will take about half hour as they usually come half charged. Switch on radio with throttle at minumum and put battery into plane. Check control directions, put radio rates switch in low position, adjust the control horns for the elevator so its level or maybe very slightly below level with tail plane and tighten, same for rudder, and your ready to go.

Would be easier if you got experienced flyer to assist with first flight, but im guessing you will give it a go:).

Dont forget to unplug the battery in the plane after any testing or flying etc.

Thanks for the help.I will give it a go any ways I have plenty of empty fields to practice in anways.Will let you know how I get on.

Just make sure your rudder and elevator directions are correct, they should be from the box anyway. Rudder is obvious, elevator should go up as you pull the right stick toward you. Again, dont forget put the rates switch to LO.

If you get into trouble, throttle off as not much damage usually occurs once its off if the worst happens.

If you do get it up and under control and level, if it see saws a bit then you need to trim the elevator down a little by pushing the right stick trim forward, each push trims the elavator down a little, and vice versa. Same scenario with the rudder if the plane is turning a little by itself.

Probably best to launch it with about 3/4 throttle for the first goes. Hand launch and then hand onto stick if your on your own.

Didnt get a change to fly it yet,quite breeze out.Hopefully the wind will die down soon and I will get a chance to fly it.

They can handle a good breezy day, but for first flights wait until its very calm, its much easier then. In wind you would risk actually losing it as they will drift if you are not in control.

Did you give it a go. I flew neighbours one and it was good and windy up at any bit of altitude.

• Advertisement

Got a chance to "fly" it this evening,already have a crack in the canopy:(.Found it very hard to launch it and then try and control it.Must get somebody to launch it for me tomorrow.

Its not too difficult to hand launch and then get on the controls but probably does take practice, dont rush the hand onto the radio in a panic is the main thing. The radian does not need to be lashed out of hand, just gently launched forward and level once the throttle is between 3/4 and full.

Did you get it flying at all or straight to ground?

Anyway, as i said, they are easy to learn to fly them, but not as easy as they look to actually fly, but if you are going to try by yourself, only do on a dead calm day. For a beginner the wind makes it far harder with a light glider.

When you launched it, did it loop up or what did it do?

I got it flying maybe for a meters before it nose dived.

Did you have any input at all on controls? Did it fly level or loop up then dive? Sounds like some hands on assistance would be needed or you will give up after a few impacts. Must be someone down there who flies?

Not really just had my hands on the controls and it crashed.No it flew level and then dived,I say I didn't give it enough throttle.I dont want to give up trying to fly it but I have don't want to make bits of it either.I never seen any body around flying rc planes any ways.

I often flew them first time for others but it would be a long way for you to come. I remember trying my first plany myself, and i bet you can guess the outcome, although i did repair it after 3 attempts and crashes and then went to the flying club in the phoenix park and that was the end of the crashes. I used to hand launch that the odd time as well, a precedent hi-boy it was.

Might see some hand launch videos of them on youtube, i have some videos on it myself but they are videos taken from the glider itself.

Had a look at the videos on youtube,it looks great when it is flying.To windy today to try it.I set the elevator to reverse on the remote is this a good idea or a bad one?

• Advertisement

When you are holding the radio in the normal flying position, pull the right stick toward you, the elevator should be going up. If you reverse it, it will be going down, unless it was going the wrong way out of the box but that seems unlikely.

Advertisement