Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a plane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Plug wrote: »
    Any basic tips on flying, I suppose full throttle and throw it at roughly a 30 degree angle?

I just throw them level, the radian tends to climb steeply when on full power so you may have to feed in some down elevator to keep it from doing a loop, just a slight bit which you have to get the feel for, put the rate switch on Lo rather than Hi for initial flights which will make it less responsive so less likely to over correct.

They climb less steeply with the heavier 2200 battery anyway, and glide slightly faster and better in the wind.

You cant just trim it to prevent it climbing under power as then it would not glide level when gliding if you know what i mean.

Once up at altitude let go the contols to trim it out properly for smooth level flight.

I have a cularis as well, thats what i fly mostly these days. That also needs a little down elevator while climbing under full power, i just launch that close to level also. I often see videos on youtube of people running like mad and launching, no need for that with these gliders with motor running.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Finally got a chance to glue it back together.How do I go about connecting the receiver wire ?

The receiver goes in the space in front of the servos inside the door under the glider, and the grey wire aerial just gets routed into the cockpit and taped to the side of the space where the battery goes, and in the cockpit area just tape it to the side of the cockpit out of the way.

Did you use cocktail sticks into the foam or any bracing when you glued it? What did you glue it with?

Thanks.I used cocktail sticks and super glue.I held it together for a while and then used tape to keep it together.I plugged in the battery and nothing moves with they remote is this normal until I fix the receiver wire.

Here is neighbours one i repaired on monday.

Cocktail sticks in.
    Photo0264.jpg

Glued and taped.
    Photo0265.jpg

As goog as new.
    Photo0266.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Ok so Ive just purchased my first RC plane and Im excited. This is what ive done:

I purchased a ParkZone Radian 2m RTF Electric Powered Glider from the following website:

http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/parkzone-radian-2m-rtf-electric-powered-glider-pkz4700-1392-p.asp

It worked out at €185 including postage. Have I got good value for money and is the company a good one to deal with .Im happy yet nervous. I live on a farm with plenty of open spaces. Dont know how long delivery will take!

poteen wrote: »
    Ok so Ive just purchased my first RC plane and Im excited. This is what ive done:

I purchased a ParkZone Radian 2m RTF Electric Powered Glider from the following website:

http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/parkzone-radian-2m-rtf-electric-powered-glider-pkz4700-1392-p.asp

It worked out at €185 including postage. Have I got good value for money and is the company a good one to deal with .Im happy yet nervous. I live on a farm with plenty of open spaces. Dont know how long delivery will take!

Well i think it needs to be said clearly now, if you have not flown before, there is absolutely only one outcome if you do not get assistance.

Yeah Im guessing Ill need assistance in learning to fly alright . Dont want to do something stupid on day 1 . is this Model hard to get used of or what should I be cautious about in the beginning?

What do you think of the deal i got? Does it look legit and ok?

Yeah Im guessing Ill need assistance in learning to fly alright . Dont want to do something stupid on day 1 . is this Model hard to get used of or what should I be cautious about in the beginning?

They are easy to fly for an experienced person, and easy enough to learn, but impossible for a beginner to just go and fly. But no one listens until they try it, including myself 23 years ago:D
    What do you think of the deal i got? Does it look legit and ok?

Them radians are a give away at that price i think anyway. They used to be between €230 and €250 incl postage depending on exchange rate.

My first radio alone was about €250 euro equivelant in 1988, and the radios with the radian are probably better than that one was.

Got it fixed Robbie thanks for the help.Now I just need to find someone around with one to help me fly.

• Advertisement

John85 wrote: »
    Got it fixed Robbie thanks for the help.Now I just need to find someone around with one to help me fly.

Anyone competent with flying radio controlled planes will be able to assist flying the radian.

Have I any chance at all of keepong it safe and not in pieces if I try to fly it on my own ? If i keep trottle and altitude within reason?? Its just that it would be hard for me to find someone to teach me and also when I get that box Im going to want to open it and get it going !!

I know im wrong to do this but if I were to do it, any tips???

Have I any chance at all of keepong it safe and not in pieces if I try to fly it on my own ? If i keep trottle and altitude within reason?? Its just that it would be hard for me to find someone to teach me and also when I get that box Im going to want to open it and get it going !!

I know im wrong to do this but if I were to do it, any tips???

Not really any chance to be honest, i have seen at least 4 or 5 try now with radians, all with the same result. And 2 or 3 of them had 1 or 2 flights with myself and were able to fly around once it was up, but went and had a go and still crashed. Maybe im just no good at assisting:D

Have you not seen the neighbours one i fixed this week, the pics? And john85 as well, the neighbours one was his 11 year old son and he is well able to fly it, just got caught out last week when coming in to land and stalled and crashed.

Its easy to say keep the throttle and altitude within reason, until you actually try it. As i said before, in 1988 i tried it myself also when starting, with the same results until i got assistance and then 3 or 4 flights and that was it. .

Where are you based?

I can make a trip to flying clubs and learn theer i guess. Where would I find a list or site with all the model flying clubs in ireland ?

Im thinking more and more that I shouldnt attempt this on my own. i dont wanna smash my new toy !

I see what you mean now Robbie about them doing a loop if you give them to much throttle:D

Oh man I feel guilty laughing at that video! It could be me next week.

I have found the name of a guy that does aeromodelling etc . If I asked hime to teach me would he look for money? Its probably better to contact him than to go at this myself though.

Oh man I feel guilty laughing at that video! It could be me next week.

I have found the name of a guy that does aeromodelling etc . If I asked hime to teach me would he look for money? Its probably better to contact him than to go at this myself though.

Where are you living?

I see what you mean now Robbie about them doing a loop if you give them to much throttle:D

Too much up trim on elevator there as well, they wont loop that much if the elevator is level with tail plane. But even with it like that, an experienced flyer could easily handle that.

Much better to be in an open field as well, and not at a gate or other obstacles. I wonder how he was planning to land it. I catch the radians more than land them these days though.

Propellor is out of balance or motor shaft a little bent maybe, as the vibration is clearly heard, and seems to shake the canopy off. Maybe he already had a go before this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Too much up trim on elevator there as well, they wont loop that much if the elevator is level with tail plane. But even with it like that, an experienced flyer could easily handle that.

Much better to be in an open field as well, and not at a gate or other obstacles. I wonder how he was planning to land it. I catch the radians more than land them these days though.

Propellor is out of balance or motor shaft a little bent maybe, as the vibration is clearly heard, and seems to shake the canopy off. Maybe he already had a go before this one.
    Im getting nightmares looking at that video, very funny though:D Hope I don't jinx myself. Would you think maybe a tiny bit of elevator down is a good idea for a newbie?

Im getting nightmares looking at that video, very funny though:D Hope I don't jinx myself. Would you think maybe a tiny bit of elevator down is a good idea for a newbie?

They need a little down elevator on the elevator stick as its climbing. Its not a matter of trimming in enough down elevator to stop it looping while climbing, as doing too much of that will mean it will be diving too much when gliding. The trim will have very slight down elevator though when its correct on any i have flown anyway.

The video of it hitting gate was not due to too much throttle, but too much elevator.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Elevator is sensitive.
    It is not apparent from watching us, but when we are flying, we are moving the elevator stick on the radio transmitter maybe only 1-3 millimeters each way.

Can you adjust how sensitive the controls are on the spectrum radio that comes with the Radian?

coolwings wrote: »
    Elevator is sensitive.
    It is not apparent from watching us, but when we are flying, we are moving the elevator stick on the radio transmitter maybe only 1-3 millimeters each way.

Yes it would often be barely any movement of the elevator during normal flying.
    Can you adjust how sensitive the controls are on the spectrum radio that comes with the Radian?

There is a Hi and Lo switch for more or less movement. But the links onto the elevator and rudder can be moved closer to the control surface to make it less sensitive also, as the control horn on the control surfaces has a few holes you can connect the link to. But thats not needed, setting the radio in Lo mode is good enough.

I ordered it a few hours ago so I hope to have if for the weekend. I got it from Sussex model centre. The 2 spare battery's are coming from Hong Kong so it might be June by the time they come:rolleyes:

I ordered it a few hours ago so I hope to have if for the weekend. I got it from Sussex model centre. The 2 spare battery's are coming from Hong Kong so it might be June by the time they come:rolleyes:

Thats where I got my plane from,I got it in 3 days.The batteries will probably take 2 weeks.

They are normally not too bad with the time on delivering batteries. Might take hour and half to charge with the charger that comes with the radian to charge the bigger batteries.

But you will be fine for a while. If you get into it you could get the accucell 6 from hobbyking, a great charger for the price of it.

Thats where I got my plane from,I got it in 3 days.The batteries will probably take 2 weeks.

How have you been getting on with yours since you got it ?

How have you been getting on with yours since you got it ?

Haven't flown it since my little accident.I am going to wait till I get help with it before I try to fly it again.Did you get your one yet?

Haven't flown it since my little accident.I am going to wait till I get help with it before I try to fly it again.Did you get your one yet?

It hasnt arrived yet - I think its coming today though. Im promising myself ill take my time with set up and reading instruction and get some guidance / coaching with it . I hope I can resist the temptation. I think ist too windy today anyway!

Did you crash your radian on the first flight ? What happened ? Much Damage?

• Advertisement

It hasnt arrived yet - I think its coming today though. Im promising myself ill take my time with set up and reading instruction and get some guidance / coaching with it . I hope I can resist the temptation. I think ist too windy today anyway!

Did you crash your radian on the first flight ? What happened ? Much Damage?

Its not too hard to set up and there isnt much info about how to fly it in the manual.I would say get somebody with a second remote to help you first.If something goes wrong they can take over.

It was around my 2nd or 3rd "flight".I never really got to fly it very far.I brought back the throttle as it was climbing fairly quickly and it must have stalled ,it went nose first into the ground .Here are a few pics of it after.I got it back together now and everything seems to be working perfect.

Advertisement