Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a plane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

John85 wrote: »
    Its not too hard to set up and there isnt much info about how to fly it in the manual.I would say get somebody with a second remote to help you first.If something goes wrong they can take over.

It was around my 2nd or 3rd "flight".I never really got to fly it very far.I brought back the throttle as it was climbing fairly quickly and it must have stalled ,it went nose first into the ground .Here are a few pics of it after.I got it back together now and everything seems to be working perfect.

Man, sorry to hear that. I guess everyone thinks that somehow they will be different and lucky and able to fly first time - A bit like swinging a golf club until you go at it! Mine was delivered today anyway so im looking forward to just unpacking it . It's too windy this evening to even consider flying it and maybe just as well . maybe if ican avoid flying this evening I will hold off for instruction. Any thing I should look out for in the setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Dear Mr plug,

with reference your recent website order for the Parkzone Radian RTF model. Sorry to advise that our suppliers are out of stock and they are currently unable to advise if there will be further deliveries of this version of the model. Our apologises for this inconvenience, have cancelled the order at the present time, no amount has been charged to your credit card.

Regards

:(

Any cheap places, anyone on boards selling?

I got my Parkzone radian today. Ive had a few problems setting it up:

1. The battery didnt seem to charge properly in that the green and red light in the charger seemed to alternate all the time. I think that in dicates an error. why would this happen? I was charging it in my car while running. Maybe it came charged?

2. Im finding it very hard to get the wings on. the space seems very tight and im cautious about forcing it too much and breaking the foam. Any tips on installation?

Thanks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

poteen wrote: »
    I got my Parkzone radian today. Ive had a few problems setting it up:

1. The battery didnt seem to charge properly in that the green and red light in the charger seemed to alternate all the time. I think that in dicates an error. why would this happen? I was charging it in my car while running. Maybe it came charged?

I forget the charger indications on that charges as i never used it much, but i think red flashing means its charging, and green means its balancing the cells. Both flashing just means its charging and balancing together.

Lipo batteries need to have their cells well balanced, as in all the same voltage or very close to it, i wont go into the details as to why for now, but lipo chargers balance the batteries as they charge them.
    2. Im finding it very hard to get the wings on. the space seems very tight and im cautious about forcing it too much and breaking the foam. Any tips on installation?

Thanks .

The wings are a bit tight when they are new, but they are strong so just push them in and they will be fine.

What part of the country are you in poteen?

• Advertisement

Any links of other place selling them for cheap?:( looks like it won't be the weekend flying for me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Plug wrote: »
    Any links of other place selling them for cheap?:( looks like it won't be the weekend flying for me:(

Here.148.99+£19.25 delivery so around the same as sussex models

Here.148.99+£19.25 delivery so around the same as sussex models
    Cheers just ordered that there, thanks!!!

:D LOL looks like I got the last one, seems to be out of stock now, hopefully they won't email me later with bad news:(

Did you get it plug?

• Advertisement

:(
    Not yet, hopefully during the week. How are you getting on with yours?

Still looking for someone to help me fly it.Way too windy these days anyway to fly it.

Its very windy lately alright, i have not flown the cularis in 2 weeks. It is flyable in most of them winds, so is the radian, but its not as nice as on calm days when they sail around the air.

Post man arrived today with a slip so I'll be collecting either batteries or a plane tomorrow. According to the tracker on the shipping site the batteries are in Dublin at customs so hopefully I'll be up and running by the weekend.

Post man arrived today with a slip so I'll be collecting either batteries or a plane tomorrow. According to the tracker on the shipping site the batteries are in Dublin at customs so hopefully I'll be up and running by the weekend.

The slip should tell you on it where it originated from so you can tell which it is if you got the batteries from hobbyking and the plane from england.

Not in this wind! Dont think youi could fly anything these days. Probably all the better for me. Im doing loads of Sim work.

What kind of sim have you ?

poteen wrote: »
    Not in this wind! Dont think youi could fly anything these days. Probably all the better for me. Im doing loads of Sim work.

You would be surprised what wind you can fly in, the t-rex 600 would fly in it no bother. The radian we flew in gales once or twice, but its not all that nice flying in windy conditions. Much better in calm weather.

The flight sims are great. I have realflight g3, its interesting when someone wants to see what its like to try out wht the rc flying is like. I used it when i started with the heli flying a few years ago. I would find flying in reality easier than on the sim, but there is a bit of a bridge when you first try the real model, as you dont have any reset mode if something goes wrong. But they certainly are great.

I collected her just there so im on my lunch break so I can't do much with it yet, set up etc. Cheers for the advice robbie and crew ill let ye know how I get on the weekend, weather I crash it or not:pac:

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The flight sims are great. I have realflight g3, its interesting when someone wants to see what its like to try out wht the rc flying is like. I used it when i started with the heli flying a few years ago. I would find flying in reality easier than on the sim, but there is a bit of a bridge when you first try the real model, as you dont have any reset mode if something goes wrong. But they certainly are great.

I was looking around on the internet and I seen you can use a mono audio lead to pick up the spectrum remote on the pc but I can find much information on how to do it.Do you have any idea how to do this Robbie

I was looking around on the internet and I seen you can use a mono audio lead to pick up the spectrum remote on the pc but I can find much information on how to do it.Do you have any idea how to do this Robbie

It can be done with adaptors, but i never bothered. The mono lead is actually the same lead used as a buddy box connecting lead. It takes the PWM output from all channels in a train and this is whats used for buddy box setups.

I had a really cheap sim before that worked from the spectrum radio connected straight into the mic input on pc to work it.

But the simplest way is to get one of the cheap flight sims that come with a controller, thats what we did. The controller is really just a double joystick in the shape of a radio.

I must look into the spektrum adaptor things, im making a pwm controller for a childs tractor at the minute which is based around the same sort of setup.

Where are you living? Maybe you said already?

I was planning on flying it at the weekend but the weather was dry and it was still bright so I said I'd give it a shot this evening. The battery was charged in work today, I made sure it was solid green as thats when the charge is complete. Setting it up was straight forward enough, nothing too complicated their. I set everything the way its supposed to be. I brought it out to a field, it wasn't that big, there were trees behind me and then bushes all around the perimeter. For an experienced flyer it would be grand but not a newbie.

Now onto the flying, I made sure all the moving parts were all ok, I tested them and made sure the throttle was working. Everything worked the way it was supposed to. So I gave it about 3/4 throttle the threw it, it stayed nice and level and I brought the elevator up and the plane when up, quite steep now, so I tried to level it and back down it went, I managed to get it level enough so then I started to turn. Very hard I thought as any time I turned the plane banked and went into a dive so I had to pull her back up. The controls felt very sensitive even though I put the control rods in the last hole on the linkage on both the rudder and the elevator.

It was not without a hitch, I flew it three times and crashed it three times. The first crash was into a ditch with grass and wasn't that bad, The second crash kind of snapped the fuselage half way down, it was not completely snapped only a small bit but a bit of tape will fix it. I also broke the battery strap from its foundation. The last flight was into the next field but saying that the last crash even though it was out of view was probably the least roughest crash judging the way it landed. Pure fluke:)

During the last flight I started getting a bit of confidence I went straight up almost vertical and then levelled it. I flew it around for a while until it crashed it the next field. In total I say I probably flyed a total of 2 - 3 minutes max. It was a bit windy out so I suppose that didn't help, the fact that it wasn't the largest field didn't help either and also I had no one experienced to get help off.

I plan on doing a small bit of DIY on it over the next day or two. Im hoping its not windy on the weekend and if so I'll bring it to a much larger field and try fly the thing with a bit more confidence. Is their anything I can do to make the controls less sensitive? And also I do recommend an experienced pilot with a newbie:eek:
    All in all I don't think I did disastrously bad, far from good though.
    Any input/help/advice would be great.
    Cheers.

There is a high and low rates switch on the radio, marked hi and lo. In low there is less movement.

Would the radio set on low and also the control rods in the last hole on the linkages be too less of a movement or should it be ok for me? Also is it ok to bring it up to a near vertical angle to get some height?

I was planning on flying it at the weekend but the weather was dry and it was still bright so I said I'd give it a shot this evening. The battery was charged in work today, I made sure it was solid green as thats when the charge is complete. Setting it up was straight forward enough, nothing too complicated their. I set everything the way its supposed to be. I brought it out to a field, it wasn't that big, there were trees behind me and then bushes all around the perimeter. For an experienced flyer it would be grand but not a newbie.

Now onto the flying, I made sure all the moving parts were all ok, I tested them and made sure the throttle was working. Everything worked the way it was supposed to. So I gave it about 3/4 throttle the threw it, it stayed nice and level and I brought the elevator up and the plane when up, quite steep now, so I tried to level it and back down it went, I managed to get it level enough so then I started to turn. Very hard I thought as any time I turned the plane banked and went into a dive so I had to pull her back up. The controls felt very sensitive even though I put the control rods in the last hole on the linkage on both the rudder and the elevator.

It was not without a hitch, I flew it three times and crashed it three times. The first crash was into a ditch with grass and wasn't that bad, The second crash kind of snapped the fuselage half way down, it was not completely snapped only a small bit but a bit of tape will fix it. I also broke the battery strap from its foundation. The last flight was into the next field but saying that the last crash even though it was out of view was probably the least roughest crash judging the way it landed. Pure fluke:)

During the last flight I started getting a bit of confidence I went straight up almost vertical and then levelled it. I flew it around for a while until it crashed it the next field. In total I say I probably flyed a total of 2 - 3 minutes max. It was a bit windy out so I suppose that didn't help, the fact that it wasn't the largest field didn't help either and also I had no one experienced to get help off.

I plan on doing a small bit of DIY on it over the next day or two. Im hoping its not windy on the weekend and if so I'll bring it to a much larger field and try fly the thing with a bit more confidence. Is their anything I can do to make the controls less sensitive? And also I do recommend an experienced pilot with a newbie:eek:
    All in all I don't think I did disastrously bad, far from good though.
    Any input/help/advice would be great.
    Cheers.

For a beginner you did well but id say that wind was just too strong this evening to be flying. that maybe have been a reason for the plane been hard to control. I still havnt even thought about taking mine out yet and i have it a week. This wind looks like been here for a while yet looking at the met website.

Would the radio set on low and also the control rods in the last hole on the linkages be too less of a movement or should it be ok for me? Also is it ok to bring it up to a near vertical angle to get some height?

I would of left the links in the hole they were in, and just set the radio on Lo. It may seem too sensitive but thats likely just you over correcting. Gliders can vary in responsiveness a lot in flight, as the air speed over the wings and control surfaces varies quite a lot from powered climbing to gliding, and also from turning into the wind and down wind etc.

As for the climb, about 45 degrees is not too bad for the radian at full throttle.

I would of left the links in the hole they were in, and just set the radio on Lo. It may seem too sensitive but thats likely just you over correcting. Gliders can vary in responsiveness a lot in flight, as the air speed over the wings and control surfaces varies quite a lot from powered climbing to gliding, and also from turning into the wind and down wind etc.

As for the climb, about 45 degrees is not too bad for the radian at full throttle.
    Yeah, I will move them in one hole and set them to low on the transmitter so, would you recommend that? Your right about over correcting it, I was panicking:P I know the idea of the sail plane is to get up to a high altitude and switch of the motor and glide. I wasn't very high to start with, only maybe 40 foot at the highest. Should I just go up a couple of hundred foot and then switch it off? At least with lots of altitude I might get a bit better with the controls.

Yes up about 400 or 500 feet would be more like it. On a nice calm day, flying them is possible in very windy conditions, but for learning, very calm is what you want.

• Advertisement

Yes up about 400 or 500 feet would be more like it. On a nice calm day, flying them is possible in very windy conditions, but for learning, very calm is what you want.

400 - 500 foot sweet Jesus:eek: Thats normal is it? So thats the plan then, I'll launch it at roughly a 45 degree angle up to that height, once up I'll level it and switch off the motor, it should stay up for a while and at least then it wont be that hard to correct any error.

Advertisement