Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a plane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I was flying yesterday, was good and windy alright, did`t notice it with the chopper, the cularis was not too bad in it, its flyable with the radian, but it would be far easier in calm weather. A lot nicer too. Them radians are very nice on a dead calm evening. They almost fly themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I was flying yesterday, was good and windy alright, did`t notice it with the chopper, the cularis was not too bad in it, its flyable with the radian, but it would be far easier in calm weather. A lot nicer too. Them radians are very nice on a dead calm evening. They almost fly themselves.

I learned my lesson on my last outing with the radian not to take on the wind with the level of experience I have. Its going to have to be acalm day for me to venture out again so that I can regain confidence. Did my repair work last night with the radian using the gator glue and 3M tape. happ with the results this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Is anyone near Kilkenny who can fly?

It does indeed but its made me realise (finally) that life is short and so its there to be enjoyed. Therefore, I'm going to dust my birds off and get them back up in the air as flying is what I enjoy most in life. Nothing like watching my lovely Radian gliding gracefully around the sky or swooping overhead like a bird of prey.

The next step for me is fpv I think and I'm looking at this system for starters:
    http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-fy21ap-ii-stabilization-system-and-rth-unit-with-new-ap-p-174.html

These little boxes of tricks serve two functions:
    1. A flight stabilisation system to keep the plane steady in high winds
    2. A return to base system for when the radio link is lost or when you want the plane to fly back to the launch point on autopilot.

They can be paired with a set of fpv goggles http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=15126 linked to a base station. As I use 2.4ghz txs, I'd have to invest in a 5.8 ghz system. Its not cheap but I'd love to fly fpv using the goggles as it would be the next thing to a "birds eye view". I might have to invest in a new, bigger glider as all that equipment, including a camera would be a tight fit inside the Radian.

That system seems to have the radar position thing i was talking about as well, thats a big plus so. I would like to set up a cularis for the FPV. Its a lot better in wind than the radian, and a fair bit faster while gliding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I wonder why there's a sudden interest in rc flying on this forum, particularly the Radian. I know its a great plane to learn on but for months there were tumbleweeds blowing through this forum:D

The Radian can be flown in winds but it tends to be an exercise in getting it to hover out in front of you. If the wind flips it over and it takes off with a tailwind, it can get real "interesting" trying to get it back to you against a strong headwind. Not something i'd recommend to someone with limited/no flighttime. Best to wait until the wind dies down to a breeze, i.e. the leaves on the tree might be rustling but the tree istelf isn't swaying.

I'd recommend the "Phoenix" flight sim to practice flying the Radian on as its pretty close to the real thing. You connect your transmitter up to the pc via a usb cable to control the virtual Radian. The one difference is that the rudder is on the left stick as opposed to being on the right stick when controlling the "real" thing. There are loads of other models to try out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Derby47

@ plug, there's a good few people flying in portlaoise, you can check out the website so find out details. www.airlaois.com

So time for a bit of an update. Today in work I was talking to a plane guru who was giving me a lot of handy tips. He told me only do short flights and then land. Also to take a break for a few minutes to relax before going for another flight, the reason being you might be a bit excited after flying a good one.

So I brought the plane outside this evening for a bit of a flight. It was still windy, maybe a bit too much. I said to myself Im going to get it up nice and high and fly it from there. So first flight I got it up about 50 foot, flying for about 40 seconds then it hit an ESB wire, luckily I was going slow enough and also lucky it didn't hit the second wire as that would have melted it:( Also the canopy broke away from it so me and my brother were looking for it for about ten minutes. Then we finally got it!

The second flight was a lot better, I brought it up at a nice angle to a decent height. I managed to fly it around for about two minutes before landing it. I had to relax for a minute as I was sweating bullets. A good flight it was. After that I brought it up 3 or 4 more times and they were all successful. All nice landings too. As the flights went on the higher I went but the wind was a bit of a killer, the motor was struggling to get against it.

I can safety say Im getting good at this. Slowly but surely, though today was the big one. Even with that wind I was still able to fly. so hopefully the next day I fly they will be no wind. I can fly the next time with confidence, onwards and upwards from here:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 byrneair

Hey Plug, good to hear your making progress, where abouts in Kilkenny are you flying?

byrneair wrote: »
    Hey Plug, good to hear your making progress, where abouts in Kilkenny are you flying?
    I found a nice spot today. Its near the watershed, a big enough area with high grass. Its up near Bank of Ireland 365. One of the lads on the Kilkenny city forum recommended it. Also there are closed roads which would be great for a runway. Are you in Kilkenny yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 byrneair

Hey, Yep from Kilkenny, check out my Christen Eagle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLYxz9mOr9A mainly from in Portlaoise, but would be good to meet some fellow kilkenny flyers

• Advertisement

byrneair wrote: »
    Hey, Yep from Kilkenny, check out my Christen Eagle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLYxz9mOr9A mainly from in Portlaoise, but would be good to meet some fellow kilkenny flyers
    I watched it there a few minutes ago from the link Derby47 gave me. That thing is huge, do you need any special licence to fly it? Do you fly around Kilkenny much? I could do with a few lessons:P

Plug wrote: »
    flying for about 40 seconds then it hit an ESB wire, luckily I was going slow enough and also lucky it didn't hit the second wire as that would have melted it:(

That would be unlikely to happen in reality, the melting bit.
    As the flights went on the higher I went but the wind was a bit of a killer, the motor was struggling to get against it.

If you are climbing then the penetration into wind is reduced. If you have full throttle and keep the plane level, it will be very effective at making headway into wind.
    I can safety say Im getting good at this. Slowly but surely, though today was the big one. Even with that wind I was still able to fly. so hopefully the next day I fly they will be no wind. I can fly the next time with confidence, onwards and upwards from here:)

Wait till you try it in dead calm now, you will find it simple now that you are making good progress, and also very nice to fly it.

I want to fly this evening. Its too windy though but that might not stop me yet. I need somebody to belt some cop on in to me!

I say go out and fly, keep it upwind and you will be grand.

I say go out and fly, keep it upwind and you will be grand.

On your head it is ! :D Ill report later on if I get the repaired radian flying again

poteen wrote: »
    On your head it is ! :D Ill report later on if I get the repaired radian flying again

I was thinking your plug there, he seems to be doing well. Maybe better till its calm. Im lost now as to who is who:eek:.

Hi Im plug nice to meet you:D

Im robbie the electrician, hows that for a plug.

poteen wrote: »

I had a half hour flight of the cularis just there, fairly windy alright.

I had a half hour flight of the cularis just there, fairly windy alright.
    I had a half hour flight of the Radian just there, fairly windy alright:P
    I had a great evening flying, I was doing backflips and all. Really getting the hang of it. However she ploughed into the ground and made absolute **** of the fuselage. The propeller and spinner are broke too:( It was down to pilot error, Im fairly sure the throttle was on fully when it hit the ground, I can't remember but I checked the electronics and they all worked fine. My friend told me the propeller was spinning. Im going to try and repair the fuselage. But also im going to buy one and buy the prop and spinner. Where can I buy these from?

• Advertisement

so glad i kept my radian indoors this evening. It was just way to windy for a beginner. plenty of other days to damage it !

Anyone have any idea's on how to fix the rudder, it completely broke off from the fin. What could I use for hinges? The control rods and linkages are ok. any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

I had an "incident" with my Radian when I had been flying for about 8 weeks. I tried to impress my kids by doing a loop. However the plane was too low to the ground and it ploughed straight in. The kids were really impressed with the crash though:rolleyes: Thats why you should fly high if trying any manouvers.

Anyways, I had to order a new fuse as the original one was totally smashed up and beyond repair. The new fuse arrived and I noticed that the rudder was almost detached from the tailfin. As it would have cost me more to ship the fuse back than what I paid for it, I used blenderm 3M surgical tape to attach the rudder to the tailfin. This was done over 14 months ago and its still holding in place.

The procedure is to unhook the control rod so you can move the rudder by hand without damaging the servo. Bend the rudder over as far as it will go and then attach the tape to the tailfin, run it into the crease and then attach it to the rudder. Do this on both sides and then reconnect the control rod.

With regard to spares, I buy from this guy all the time as his prices are competitive (if you see something cheaper elsewher, he'll price match) and his service is excellent:http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/parkzone-radian--radian-pro-spares-122-c.asp

Spot I there Dave. I detached my rudder on impact last week too. Like you Plug, The control rods and linkages were ok. I Spent the other evening doing what Dave did with the tape and reconnecting it. I havnt flown since but ground tests of the rudder seem good. You should be able to get that tape in any Chemist. I also had a spilt on the Fuselage above the wing. i repaired that using Gator glue and taped it up for extra strength using the 3M surgical Tape.

I had a half hour flight of the Radian just there, fairly windy alright:P
    I had a great evening flying, I was doing backflips and all. Really getting the hang of it. However she ploughed into the ground and made absolute **** of the fuselage. The propeller and spinner are broke too:( It was down to pilot error, Im fairly sure the throttle was on fully when it hit the ground, I can't remember but I checked the electronics and they all worked fine. My friend told me the propeller was spinning. Im going to try and repair the fuselage. But also im going to buy one and buy the prop and spinner. Where can I buy these from?

There is a fair chance the motor shaft will be bent also, which would make the glider unflyable. You can run it as slow as possible without anything on the shaft and see if it is bent. They can usually be straigtened easy enough.

Ok lads surgical tape it is then. Robbie I just tested the motor there just this second and I can confirm its not bent. Thank Christ for that! two questions, i have a propeller for another aircraft, could this be fitted? It is only a 2 blade non folding type, also it has no spinner. The second question is anytime I turn on the transmitter and receiver the throttle won't work unless I turn them off and back on. Any idea's? I was messing around with the throttle trim the other, maybe thats the problem?

Ok lads surgical tape it is then. Robbie I just tested the motor there just this second and I can confirm its not bent.

The bend can often be very slight, when you inspect it, look straight down the shaft so you see the flat end of the shaft straight at you. Now see that its not wobbling off centre. It might be ok anyway.

two questions, i have a propeller for another aircraft, could this be fitted? It is only a 2 blade non folding type, also it has no spinner.

Dont put anything except a folding prop on, you will have more drag but thats not the main problem, the main problem is on landing it will catch the ground unless it happens to stop in a near horizontal position, you wont want to be worrying about that. A fixed prop could be windmilled around as well, the motor ESC has an electrical brake to prevent this, but a fixed prop would still probably be forced around during any reasonably fast airspeed movements, where as a folding one wont. We have an aeronaut prop and collet setup on one of our 2 radians becuase the first props parkzone had on the radians used to break in mid flight, something i had happen twice.
    They have since vastly inproved their prop.
    The second question is anytime I turn on the transmitter and receiver the throttle won't work unless I turn them off and back on. Any idea's? I was messing around with the throttle trim the other, maybe thats the problem?

It might just be the radio is not connecting to the receiver, i have that now and again with the cularis, needing a second off and back on.

The throttle on the dx5 is the only failsafe channel on the dx5 so it might be more noticable on the throttle when the tx does not link to the rx. You could try a rebind and see of that helps. But if its linking on the second go i would not be too concerned with it.

Were the other channels working and just not the throttle? Dont forget also, the throttle has to be at minumum for the motor ESC to arm, otherwise it wont run, assuming its the motor and ESC you are using to test the throttle. I keep a spare unused servo fitted with servo arm handy for testing such things.

Time to give up flying with this weather, wind for about 5 weeks non stop now.

Too bloody true Robbie.

Jeez, I can't remember the last time we had a calm or even calm-ish day.

I spent the weekend doing maintenance on my planes and blowing the dust off them as they haven't had any flight time in over a month. However, I think the winds are to die down enough towards the weekend to finally get the planes back up where they belong. I have a new F4 Wildcat that I want to get airborne to see how well she flies. She has re-inforcing spars in the wing and tailplane that will allow high speed dives without fear of the wings ripping off.

• Advertisement

Too bloody true Robbie.

Jeez, I can't remember the last time we had a calm or even calm-ish day.

I spent the weekend doing maintenance on my planes and blowing the dust off them as they haven't had any flight time in over a month. However, I think the winds are to die down enough towards the weekend to finally get the planes back up where they belong. I have a new F4 Wildcat that I want to get airborne to see how well she flies. She has re-inforcing spars in the wing and tailplane that will allow high speed dives without fear of the wings ripping off.

I flew the cularis the other day, and the t-rex 600, thursday i think, was good and windy, not too much problem though, but just not as nice as a nice calm evening, although little difference to the chopper except if in a hover.

Nice smooth exits from the dive is the way to go with the F4, id say even the best re-enforced wings could be broken in a severe enough pull out of a dive, not that you need advice at all. The p51 mustang i have, a nitro one, does some fast dives, used to dive it full throttle for a few seconds, i`d probably be a bit more cautious in my old age now:eek:.

I remember the plane i learned on, the Hi-Boy, it had a semi-symmetrical high wing profile, so when you dived it straight down, it tended to balloon out of the dive and stress the wings, it was not really possible to smoothly curve out of a dive with them. No such problem in the low wing more symmetrical wing of the F4 though.

Advertisement