Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning smell upgrading ram

Options
  • 16-04-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
    but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
    permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Darith wrote: »
    Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
    but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
    permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

If everything is working okay, I'd say nothing bad has happened. Though, if you get any problems with the ram in the future, send them back under warranty, I really mean as soon as you get problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

I did something very similar last year. Its not good I'm afraid. My motherboard died. It taught me the lesson not to do pc repairs after coming home from the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nitro Snail

ha - I made that mistake with an Athlon xp 1800, years ago - 3/4 of ram sitting in arseways powered it on and then a dirthy burning smell n smoke and the memory stick was red hot - it still worked but would freeze from time to time so I changed all the ram and no difference - Motherboard must a got a little messed up in the process - Change the ram cus its probably 15 or 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Darith

Would the hard drive and cpu have been damaged also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

I did this when I built a new pc recently (never build when you need sleep).

I found varying information, but in *my* case, the RAM was fine, but the ram slot on the motherboard was buggered. I lost dual channel, so I just went out and bought a replacement board - will use the other with an experimental build.

Check to see if your computer is recognising the amount of ram it should be - if not, test the sticks one by one to see if you can boot with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

How can you install ram the wrong way round? The notches won't match up and the clips either side won't close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

sink wrote: »
    How can you install ram the wrong way round? The notches won't match up and the clips either side won't close.
    ye was thinking that too??????????

Advertisement