Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a historical society in Blackrock?

Options
  • 16-04-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

I'm doing some research for college into the history and architecture of the Blackrock area and can only seem to find a few, very out of date references to a Blackrock historical society. I'd be interested in getting in contact if they're still around. If anyone has any information let me know.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Sorry cant help, have you asked in local library?

Nearest next one along would be Mt Merrion Historical Society that meets first Thursday of month in community centre and Kilmacud that meets in Glen Albyn Centre in Stillorgan (second thursday of month?) Both would wind up this month for the summer and get going again October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Cheers for that but neither of those two are really the areas I'd be interested in. I did try the library but they don't really seem to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I guess maybe this is none.

I live near Blackrock and would read notices boards and local papers but can never remember seeing a meeting for Blackrock.

How about Sion Hill/Blackrock College teachers? perhaps someone has been involved in a local project and could help out?

Natiional Library and National archives would be places to look for historical material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I'm pretty sure there is one. Contact the Dun Laoghaire Society and they my be able to point you in the right direction. Alternatively go into Hewitt's shop on Carrickbrennan Road-they stock a lot of the Historical Society journals and there may be a current one there with contact details in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

A few years ago I'm sure I saw some old fella sitting at the bar in Breffni who were apparently meeting to discuss some sort of Blackrock Historical Society. I was ordering a pint and was curious about their documents. If you ever drink in there, you could ask the older bar staff if they still meet there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

There is the Blackrock Society. Not sure how active they still are but I've a load of publications from the 90s about the history of the area that they put together.

Only thing I could find on them is this: http://www.dublinheritage.ie/associations/index.htm

Might be worth a shot emailing that Paul Quinn fella.

Advertisement