Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's left of the peoples park *Mod warning Post 44*

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sure the only thing that new section will affect is where the pigeons will sit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I totally agree its a disgrace and the new section is a complete eyesore, Im all for a new gallery if they have even attempted to blend it in with the existing building but they havent ...as a result they have ruined the entire building..and if memory serves me right the council were told there was to be no more development done in there by the russell familys desendant after the disgraceful apparments they built there...and there way of keeping him sweet was to use some of the money they got for selling the peoples land was to make a new enterance on the side facing colbert train station...which they claimed cost €50,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Sure the only thing that new section will affect is where the pigeons will sit...

that is true :D but whit that horrid department block on one side and now this what else is next? a Starbucks and a maccki Ds?

steveon wrote: »
    I totally agree its a disgrace and the new section is a complete eyesore, Im all for a new gallery if they have even attempted to blend it in with the existing building but they havent ...as a result they have ruined the entire building..and if memory serves me right the council were told there was to be no more development done in there by the russell familys desendant after the disgraceful apparments they built there...and there way of keeping him sweet was to use some of the money they got for selling the peoples land was to make a new enterance on the side facing colbert train station...which they claimed cost €50,000

plenty of buildings around limerick to move the art gallery for gods sake i.e. http://www.limerickevents.com/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/2808-friars-generous-gift-remains-unopened.html

what about putting all in to: http://www.limerickcity.ie/Environment/ParksandOpenSpaces/ArthursQuayPark/

just to name 2 hell ill even throw in the old Dunnes that could do with knocking down and made in t an art gallery

AND YES ITS THE "PEOPLES PARK" WE should have a say

Part of the new building is exactly that a coffee shop...no need there are plenty of coffee shops less than 2 mins walk from there a complete disgrace and as a local resident I am disheartened by it all

• Advertisement

steveon wrote: »
    Part of the new building is exactly that a coffee shop...no need there are plenty of coffee shops less than 2 mins walk from there a complete disgrace and as a local resident I am disheartened by it all

Sounds like we should change the name of the park to "hey you, smuck, ya you with the pocket fulla cash, you wanna build a burgermacking in here?"

thank you but no that you its an utter disgrace

and another ting across the road there was a block of old houses demolished why not build there? what to far to walk to the art place??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

But hey, it's tax free building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

As a regular user of peoples park I welcome the building especially if there is a coffee shop and a bloody toilet. I dont know how many times I have had to leave the park and the outside portaloo doesnt always work. There maybe coffee shops near the park but if you have children you have to take them out of the park to get a coffee.

Also no toilets in our public parks is an absolute disgrace, I love the park on the shelbourne road and we have to leave again no toilets honeslty in this day and age.

So I will welcome gladly the building

I have been recently to London where the parks had coffee shops and little cafes where the kids could have their lunch and then could play around the park afterwards as well, there is also an outside area where you could sit and watch the children. Something like this would be fab if it was properly run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

jesus h christ here we go again !

whats wrong with it ? nothing! if it makes more tourists go to the park and gallery happy days !

• Advertisement

But hey, it's tax free building.

lol so you would be coool if the moved the skate park to the peoples park? pave the whole park in crazy paving? taxfree? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

tonyheaney wrote: »
    lol so you would be coool if the moved the skate park to the peoples park? pave the whole park in crazy paving? taxfree? :rolleyes:

Its an art gallery, and an extension to an existing art gallery, in a beautiful area of the city, If they didnt build it there people on here would be giving out that the council had "abandoned" that area of the city. blah blah blah, The contrast between old and new is deliberate, and the light the glass will let in will be beautiful, as will the view from inside the gallery, across the park.

The park is massive, a small section used for public amenities is no loss at all, its an improvement.

AS for your skate park reference, whats the difference between that and the childrens playground, they tore up your precious grass to fit rubber tiled multicoloured flooring. Did that take away from the park or make it better?

A peoples park needs people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

One thing that could be done is to enlarge the park by moving the Parnell st/Edward St road and incorporate the large, mostly underutilised green space between the Park and the row of houses backing on to Jackman park.

It would be a massive job but it could alter the area significantly. If those houses are being knocked (a good few of them are shut now) that land could be given over to Jackman Park to help develop a proper little ground there.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

I havent been to the park since last summer. I visited two days ago and I was very Impressed with the building work.
    I thought ,Wow won't it be nice to be to see into the gallery and the art displayed through the large glass panels. Kind of bringing the gallery into the park and vice versa.
    Now if its a coffee shop it will be a bit of a shame but I'm sure it will be done tastefully.
    All that was there before was a corner of the park that had bushes where users went into, from the odd beer can, syringe , rubbish I saw on the one occasion i had to venture there, My daughter was bursting and being potty trained and I had to bring her to that corner as of course the public toilets were out of order.
    When I asked the warden why were the toilets closed he said because it was being used by junkies, and to never use them just go to the station instead.
    So at least now there will be an area we can get a drink and use the loos without having to go further into town.

The new extension is an eyesore and has ruined an absolutely beautiful building, they have covered it with glass on every corner instead of trying to make it look somewhat original so they have taken away the character of the existing building and turn it into an oversized greenhouse. As I already stated they were warned not to build any more in the park, 5 yrs previous they claimed they didnt need the space at the oppostite side of the park, destroying all the greenhouses there and houses that were hundreds of yrs old and taken in land that wasnt even there's in the first place..

I am not against the gallery been extended or a coffee shop and I agree there should be toilets in the park but this should have been done in the space they build horrible appartments in and the gallery could have been moved to perhaps where KINGS John castle is..perhaps as its is all empty and again another waste of money..

I live beside the park and I hate it being ruined by idiots that dont know what there doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think some people are losing the run of themsleves, how much of the park is actually after disappearing with all the buildings that have been erected in recent years?

The best suggetion I've seen here is to extend the park to take in the green area between Hyde Rd and the park itself, it would mean religning the roads there but it's doable.

I wouldn't be in favour of moving the gallery either, it's close enough to the city centre and anything that keeps people in the city centre is only a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

"Won't somebody please think of the children!"
    :eek:

phog wrote: »
    I think some people are losing the run of themsleves, how much of the park is actually after disappearing with all the buildings that have been erected in recent years?

The best suggetion I've seen here is to extend the park to take in the green area between Hyde Rd and the park itself, it would mean religning the roads there but it's doable.

RE: I wouldn't be in favour of moving the gallery either, it's close enough to the city centre and anything that keeps people in the city centre is only a good thing.

What about the old dunnes or ther church near it??

tonyheaney wrote: »
    What about the old dunnes or ther church near it??

How much would it cost to move the gallery to either location? You'd probably have people moaning that there's no suitable parking in the neighbourhood as well. Sometimes it feels like it's better do nothing than try and improve something.

I really dont see the issue with extending the current gallery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats the best suggestion I have heard!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be in favour of moving the gallery either, it's close enough to the city centre and anything that keeps people in the city centre is only a good thing.

It would also completely alter how people see Limerick when they arrive at the train station.

Imagine arriving and instead of seeing a semi derelict street you saw a top class park, much like you see in Galway. If the houses by Jackman are being knocked there's really a massive chance to change that entire section of town for the better.

It would also completely alter how people see Limerick when they arrive at the train station.

Imagine arriving and instead of seeing a semi derelict street you saw a top class park, much like you see in Galway. If the houses by Jackman are being knocked there's really a massive chance to change that entire section of town for the better.

Right maybe everyone here should write to Clr. Maria Byrne and get her moving on this before she vacates the mayors office, it will give her a chance to lay down a marker for her year in the office.

Plus i could meet her and get her to meet us if we wanted to go down that route (have connections) but if you wrote to her she could meet us too - is time for a new thread perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

You could easily just widen the road from Colbert Station to Careys Road Junction and make it a two way...thus eliminating the need for the road in front of the park. This would make it easy to extend the park outwards.

Actually messed around with the aeriel view of the park on Google maps and it looks pretty straight forward.

Rather than writing letters to the Mayor, people should gather together and find out if whoever runs the park wants it extended, who actually owns the People's Park and who owns the land, etc. Start a proper movement, a once off letter campaign will lead nowhere.

It's also worth asking, imo, is why that land wasn't in the original park. Was it intended as a side of Georgian buildings, did something else stand there, how long has the road been there, what was there before etc?

If people are serious about this they need to accept it'll be a long, long struggle that will take a lot of reports, consultations about rights of way, discussions with community groups etc.

As sure as anything, this incredibly obvious suggestion must have occurred to other people before.

Still, it's a project worth pursuing if people think they have the stomach for it.

Last night I got the city councillors email addresses and sent them off an email about extending the park I also linked this thread. Lets see if I get a response.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

http://maps.google.ie/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.658014,-8.627143&spn=0.003339,0.00677&t=h&z=17
    Here is an arial picture of the park. It's quite obvous that the area taken by the extension is tiny compared to the size of the park. Also those apartments, while not that pleasant visually didn't really take any land that was in use to the public. They were built on the area that the wardens stored their equipment.
    While i like the idea of taking in the green area outside the park, I can't see an easy solution to rerouting traffic from Edward St on to Parnell St though without removing more of the green area than your gaining by taking in Boherbuoy Rd.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.658014,-8.627143&spn=0.003339,0.00677&t=h&z=17
    Here is an arial picture of the park. It's quite obvous that the area taken by the extension is tiny compared to the size of the park. Also those apartments, while not that pleasant visually didn't really take any land that was in use to the public. They were built on the area that the wardens stored their equipment.
    While i like the idea of taking in the green area outside the park, I can't see an easy solution to rerouting traffic from Edward St on to Parnell St though without removing more of the green area than your gaining by taking in Boherbuoy Rd.

They could keep the road there but still have the green area enclosed as part of the park if anyone has ever been to Boston it could work like Boston Common
    http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&ll=42.354469,-71.068443&spn=0.002577,0.006539&t=h&z=18

Mc Love wrote: »
    Plus i could meet her and get her to meet us if we wanted to go down that route (have connections) but if you wrote to her she could meet us too - is time for a new thread perhaps?

hehehe well i did start off this tread but by all, means

• Advertisement

Last night I got the city councillors email addresses and sent them off an email about extending the park I also linked this thread. Lets see if I get a response.

Phog hope tyhey know it was my genisis idea hehehehehehehehe :D;);)

Advertisement