Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's left of the peoples park *Mod warning Post 44*

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Got my first reply today out of about 16 councillors, hasn't committed to much.
    Hi ,

Thanks for message and observations.

I will have a look and walk around after easter re this proposal.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

which one sent this to you?

tonyheaney wrote: »
    which one sent this to you?

Rather not say at the moment, I sent each of them a link to this post and they are free to join the discussion here if they so wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

http://maps.google.ie/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.658014,-8.627143&spn=0.003339,0.00677&t=h&z=17
    Here is an arial picture of the park. It's quite obvous that the area taken by the extension is tiny compared to the size of the park. Also those apartments, while not that pleasant visually didn't really take any land that was in use to the public. They were built on the area that the wardens stored their equipment.
    While i like the idea of taking in the green area outside the park, I can't see an easy solution to rerouting traffic from Edward St on to Parnell St though without removing more of the green area than your gaining by taking in Boherbuoy Rd.

Half of the land taken in by the apparments was in fact in use by the public, I grew up beside it and used to pick both blackberries and strawberriers there. Alot of the local kids also played football there. There was also 3 or 4 old style cottages that should have been a protected structure instead they were demolished and eradicated from most peoples memory.

The local authority claimed they didnt need the land despite the fact that it housed many greenhouses and stored there equipment, now they rent a space in the apparment at the back ...again which most people dont know aboiut..

ALL LAND IN THE PARK BELONG TO US the people of Limerick it does not belong to the local authority and therefore every square inch should be protected and cherished, now we have an ugly building especially when coming from the mallow street enterance..

steveon wrote: »
    Half of the land taken in by the apparments was in fact in use by the public, I grew up beside it and used to pick both blackberries and strawberriers there. Alot of the local kids also played football there. There was also 3 or 4 old style cottages that should have been a protected structure instead they were demolished and eradicated from most peoples memory.

The local authority claimed they didnt need the land despite the fact that it housed many greenhouses and stored there equipment, now they rent a space in the apparment at the back ...again which most people dont know aboiut..

ALL LAND IN THE PARK BELONG TO US the people of Limerick it does not belong to the local authority and therefore every square inch should be protected and cherished, now we have an ugly building especially when coming from the mallow street enterance..

RE: ALL LAND IN THE PARK BELONG TO US:

If any government official is reading this you must step up and do something. I know many like the idea of a coffee house with its safe toilets and it is greeted by some and hated by others, and an art gallery is nice to have im sure but the fact is this is peoples land not Local governments.

As one person here has mentioned here regarding the boarded up houses being an eye sore and the large green in front and the stupid one way round the green traffic system all outside the bus station perhaps they would be better suited to knock the houses make a 2 and 1 way traffic system with new shops and art gallery on the green and make the view to new arrivals to limerick something nice to write home about.

once done then simply leave the peoples park alone

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Got my first reply today out of about 16 councillors, hasn't committed to much.

A month later and no other reply received and no update from the reply that I received, is it any wonder why people have lost faith in politics.

I will send them all a reminder.

I wonder if I asked to attend a photo shoot how many would have replied by now.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I'm not surprised you got no reply from any of them, I wonder what Jan o Sullivan would have to say about it as her office is right across the street in Hartstonge street

Sent them all reminders and got a few replies.
    You can contact me at
    087xxxxxxx
    many thanks for your email, i will read the relevant boards to gain a broader view of peoples concerns and suggestions, the whole careys rd / hyde rd area is subjet to a new local area plan and i agree that this area represents a wonderful opportunity for city hall to create a great first impressions for those visiting the city
    I have looked at your suggestion of amalgamation of the two pieces of land to make a super park, this was raised three years ago by myself, there is a local development plan being worked on to include Hyde Rd, Calls Park, Carey's Rd, and that area, I am not in a position to give any more information on this as I do not know the outcome of the proposed plan, you might for me clarify your first paragraph, you state there is a thread on a forum of mis-use at the Peoples Park, then you state you do not agree fully, and then you state that Limerick City Council could do more with a valuable resource, (which resource are you referring to) in my opinion there was mis-use of public land at the Peoples Park, there should NOT have being a development on this land, this Park was gifted to the People by Lord Perry for the benefit of the people, if I was an elected representative at the time I would have opposed the use, as I will should any proposal arise in the future, I correct you, this land belongs to the people it is a resource for the people, and is not at behest of Limerick City Council.
    You identify a major sector of the city which needs development and the area has been discussed on a number of occasions recently within the Council. You might also be aware that other areas also face similar challenges and for example plans will emerge at today's Council meeting regarding the Nicholas Street area which have taken some time to develop and where Nicholas Street is crucial also from a Tourist perspective. Plans for the development of large areas develop over time, the slow down in the economy and scarce funding is delaying this process even further and the Patrick Street situation is evidence of this problem. I was heavily involved in a campaign six months ago to relocate a Council housing project from the only green space remaining off O'Connell Ave to the area you are concerned about as a lot of space is available there whereas green space is very precious at Vizes Field but that campaign failed. The area is being given active consideration within City Council. Jackman Park may become available as it now looks certain that soccer will return to the Market's Field and the last of the flats should be vacated soon. When these final pieces of the jigsaw fall into place development of that area will be closer. With 3000 people on the Housing waiting list I will be supporting the construction of small layouts of houses constructed in the area somewhat similar to those built newer the Barracks on Edward St. some years ago. I agree with you that we need to think about that area in terms of a gateway into the city for visitors who arrive by train and bus. Anew bus station is to be built soon and this will be the beginning of this process. It is unlikely that the Council will move towards an enlarged Park as Council staff are currently overstretched and budgets are tight. I will be happy to discuss these issues with you again in the future and those are some of my thoughts on the issues you raised.

It would also completely alter how people see Limerick when they arrive at the train station.

Imagine arriving and instead of seeing a semi derelict street you saw a top class park, much like you see in Galway. If the houses by Jackman are being knocked there's really a massive chance to change that entire section of town for the better.

I mentioned this proposal on twitter recently and I got a prompt to send an email to environment office at the council.

My emails to the councillors fell into a black hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

It's a really nice park and almost has a feeling of St.Stephen's Green Dublin about it...the Georgian architecture of Pery Square makes that area feel quite grand,there's nothing like it in Cork or Galway. As for the green area by the station..it has huge potential now that all those ugly flats are empty and ready to be torn down..

• Advertisement

It's a really nice park and almost has a feeling of St.Stephen's Green Dublin about it...the Georgian architecture of Pery Square makes that area feel quite grand,there's nothing like it in Cork or Galway. As for the green area by the station..it has huge potential now that all those ugly flats are empty and ready to be torn down..it's just a pity that it's so close to Hyde Rd!

I personality think they should re extend the park to cover the old green across the road. Its one of the beauties that new visitors see when the arrive and if extending it makes it better then by all means do it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

phog wrote: »
    I mentioned this proposal on twitter recently and I got a prompt to send an email to environment office at the council.

My emails to the councillors fell into a pot hole.

fyp ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: I have edited one post and deleted two others. Rather than send three seperate PMs I shall give my reasons here in thread.

I don't want to see any comments that consist of a sweeping generalisation about any individual areas in Limerick city or that could be taken as a put down to all residents in that area. It is offensive to any posters living in those areas or to any posters with relatives or friends in those areas. Most areas in Limerick could be said to have problems, but the problems do not define the areas, and they certainly do not represent the majority of folk living in various areas.

So no further sweeping generalisations regarding entire areas or all the people in specific areas.

As for the posts I deleted. I only deleted those as they either quoted the comment I had to edit, or were conversation regarding the comment. I felt that the thread could have been derailed, and also because I did not wish to give any oxygen to anything that could help link any sweeping comment to a specific area.

There have been some good posts and great ideas in this thread, so let's try to focus on that.

Hey all, Just to reiterate again my OP was that the green across from the park could have been better served for the apartments and the art center or even to extend the park into that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think something needs to be done with all the junkies and alco's roaming the park too , It can be very intimidating for people who don't know them ,and most ppl do know the main ones i'm talking about im not mentioning them though

Kess73 wrote: »
    Mod Post: I have edited one post and deleted two others. Rather than send three seperate PMs I shall give my reasons here in thread.

I don't want to see any comments that consist of a sweeping generalisation about any individual areas in Limerick city or that could be taken as a put down to all residents in that area. It is offensive to any posters living in those areas or to any posters with relatives or friends in those areas. Most areas in Limerick could be said to have problems, but the problems do not define the areas, and they certainly do not represent the majority of folk living in various areas.

So no further sweeping generalisations regarding entire areas or all the people in specific areas.

As for the posts I deleted. I only deleted those as they either quoted the comment I had to edit, or were conversation regarding the comment. I felt that the thread could have been derailed, and also because I did not wish to give any oxygen to anything that could help link any sweeping comment to a specific area.

There have been some good posts and great ideas in this thread, so let's try to focus on that.

What is *Mod warning Post 44* :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What is *Mod warning Post 44* :confused::confused:

You just quoted it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

An old fashioned style tea rooms would have been nice in the park if they wanted a café set up there.Zest just doesn't seem right there

bigpink wrote: »
    An old fashioned style tea rooms would have been nice in the park if they wanted a café set up there.Zest just doesn't seem right there

Judging how busy it is it seems to have the mark.

You just quoted it...

yes but what does it mean

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

yes but what does it mean

When threads get longer mods often need to step in to reset the thread after it's gone too far off topic or something, often there's no point in putting a warning in the first post as most users will just go to the end, by the mod putting a note in the subject line like that it alerts posters that there's an on thread warning and their posts should be within the rules (as they always should of course)

Yeah it is busy but not in character of the park.Tourists and locals would like something a bit differnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Zest's lack of an entrance into the park is the only thing that bothers me but maybe that's to try and get people into the Gallery.

Still it would have been nice to have had some seating outside Zest in the park during the good weather.

A cafe without a smoking area loses marks from me! :P

Zest prob put in the highest tender but a different style would have been better for the park.An art vibe place,tea rooms,or an organic fair trade place would have been cool

bigpink wrote: »
    Tourists and locals would like something a bit differnet

Aside from your own personal opinion, what are you basing this statement on?

Zest's lack of an entrance into the park is the only thing that bothers me but maybe that's to try and get people into the Gallery.

Still it would have been nice to have had some seating outside Zest in the park during the good weather.

Yes an entrance directly to the park and a "tea garden" would be nice.

Though thinking of the noise created here and elsewhere when some of the park lands was being given over for the building I'd hate to go looking for an outdoor area for the restaurant now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Looks like there might have been an accident/trouble there yesterday evening, was on the way in to town and a squad car pulled up and they jumped out and ran into the park, then an ambulance passed us thinking the gates were open but obviously they were closed. Wasnt able to stick around, anyone see what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Yes! I could never understand how they missed such a trick. Even from inside there isn't much of a view of the park. An outdoor area would be lovely, even in the colder months with a few outdoor heaters.

Even though I'm not a smoker, I'd rather sit outside and people watch :)

Advertisement