Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which Irish network offers the best flexibility for data roaming charges?

Options
  • 16-04-2011 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

hi folks, which Irish network, offers the best data roaming flexibility for data roaming charges in France / Spain?

ie data roaming addons

flexibility in adding on a roaming add on ( ie not having to wait until bill day to do so)

and cost.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you got a billpay contract already or planning getting one based on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Davy wrote: »
    Have you got a billpay contract already or planning getting one based on this?

have bill pay contracts, on a 30 day contract so can swap networks easily.

i can always get a bill pay contract with SFR but I dont want to be carrying around 2 phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Only vodafone and o2 offer somewhat affordable data roaming options in Spain or France.

So it's really only two choices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

A local sim would be better though if your device is unlocked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Kensington wrote: »
    Only vodafone and o2 offer somewhat affordable data roaming options in Spain or France.

I wouldnt call it affordable:D

• Advertisement

cookie1977 wrote: »
    A local sim would be better though if your device is unlocked

I was in Brazil and used a local sim. Cost 20euro for a months internet. So i agree fully with Have an unlocked phone and a local sim......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Vodafone is somewhat affordable, O2 is just short of outrageous and the others don't even try.

I think it would have been like 40 euro a day with o2 in Brazil for 50mb a day......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

racer1 wrote: »

I wouldnt call it affordable:D
    Well compared to €7 per megabyte with Three, or €10.24 per megabyte with Meteor, it's a bargain!

O2 are just under €20 per day for up to 50 megabytes while in Europe.
    Vodafone are €2 plus your standard daily rate (39c or 99c) for up to 50 megabytes in Europe.
    Certain billpay packages entitle you to use roaming data out of inclusive data.

And do you know how much it costs the network to buy data per megabyte?
    No more than 80c ex. VAT.
    And it'll be no more than 50c ex. Vat from 1st July of this year.

That's if they don't cut a wholesale deal with foreign operators to buy data in bulk, in which case it'll cost them even less, perhaps next to nothing.

Or, if you're O2 or Vodafone, you own networks across Europe (Vodafone and O2 have substantial interests in European networks - Vodafone under the Vodafone brand, O2 Telefónica under the O2 and Movistar brands). In that case it essentially costs them nothing.

Advertisement