Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI 3 Year Physiotherapy Programme

Options
  • 15-04-2011 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey, new to Boards.ie.

I just got accepted to the three year Physiotherapy programme at RCSI and I'm absolutely delighted. :D

Can anyone tell me what to expect over the next three years? It would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hey there, well done on getting accepted :)

I'm not doing physio in RCSI but I'm doing medicine and have a few friends in physio so I know a bit about the course. Because you're in the three year course you'll be skipping pre-physio which is basically just premed. You'll be doing a lot of anatomy in the same lectures as the 1st med students and a lot of manual work, so be prepared to get to know your classmates very well! You get fewer holidays than the 1st meds, so prepare to be jealous around this time of year when they get two weeks off and you only have the bank holiday. When you start 2nd year you'll be doing rotations of 5 weeks placement and 5 weeks rotation.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mel87

Hey,
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know approximately how many hours a week the physio students are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 batmanandrobin

Hi Mel87,

Congrats on getting in! That's the easy bit done! i did the 3 year Physio degree in RCSI. I loved it! Be prepared tho because it's going to be pretty tough!

First year is pretty intense. Something like 8 exams in January and May and a 3 week placement in June. Its probably the least stressful year tho.

Second year is less hour heavy for lectures but the difficulty of the subject matter increases. Then there is the 3 placements. There's a 5 week and 2 4 week blocks. Usually the placement coordinator gives a good mix.

Final year has even less lecture hours but there's more presentations, hand ups and the research project which is now a research proposal but you'll hear more about that in time. Placement wise it's a 6 week and 2 5 week blocks and then you have the 2 FCA's during those placements! The FCA (formal clinical assessments) can be pretty intense but you'll be well prepped by the time they come around!

Keep focused on the practical exams in first and second year. They are only 15-20 minutes long but its rapid fire questioning while demonstrating practical skills.

It's a fantastic course, with fantastic lecturers who really are outstanding academics and leaders in their fields!

RCSI as a college is a mixed bag with a real international feel to the college. There are some great clubs and socs you can get involved with and the facilities are pretty high end!

Good luck with your studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Mel87 wrote: »

I just got accepted to the three year Physiotherapy programme at RCSI and I'm absolutely delighted. :D

Hi, i'm interested in this course. What course did you have complete upon applying for this course or did you get in on your Leaving Certificate points? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MisterL

Hi,I just got accepted to the three year physiotherapy programme at RCSI too. I was just wondering if anyone is or knows someone that is in this programme now. I am looking for a copy of your/their timetable to get an idea of the hours. I understand that the first year is really full on but I think i will have to work part-time. Has anyone done this before and was it possible?Hope you can help.

• Advertisement

Hi Mel87,

Congrats on getting in! That's the easy bit done! i did the 3 year Physio degree in RCSI. I loved it! Be prepared tho because it's going to be pretty tough!

First year is pretty intense. Something like 8 exams in January and May and a 3 week placement in June. Its probably the least stressful year tho.

Second year is less hour heavy for lectures but the difficulty of the subject matter increases. Then there is the 3 placements. There's a 5 week and 2 4 week blocks. Usually the placement coordinator gives a good mix.

Final year has even less lecture hours but there's more presentations, hand ups and the research project which is now a research proposal but you'll hear more about that in time. Placement wise it's a 6 week and 2 5 week blocks and then you have the 2 FCA's during those placements! The FCA (formal clinical assessments) can be pretty intense but you'll be well prepped by the time they come around!

Keep focused on the practical exams in first and second year. They are only 15-20 minutes long but its rapid fire questioning while demonstrating practical skills.

It's a fantastic course, with fantastic lecturers who really are outstanding academics and leaders in their fields!

RCSI as a college is a mixed bag with a real international feel to the college. There are some great clubs and socs you can get involved with and the facilities are pretty high end!

Good luck with your studies!

Thank you so much for the reply. Although I knew that the course would be pretty intense, it's great to actually know what to expect now. Were you able to work part time while you were studying? Also, with regard to placements can you choose where to do them (as in can you choose to stay in Dublin or is it a prerequisite to complete placements in other counties?).

NotExactly wrote: »
    Hi, i'm interested in this course. What course did you have complete upon applying for this course or did you get in on your Leaving Certificate points? Thanks.

This course is for graduates only from any discipline. I have an LL.B (Law degree) and last year I completed a healthcare assistant course. I also worked as a healthcare assistant voluntarily in a nursing home and shadowed a number of physiotherapists. I think that helped with my application.

Hope this helps!

MisterL wrote: »
    Hi,I just got accepted to the three year physiotherapy programme at RCSI too. I was just wondering if anyone is or knows someone that is in this programme now. I am looking for a copy of your/their timetable to get an idea of the hours. I understand that the first year is really full on but I think i will have to work part-time. Has anyone done this before and was it possible?Hope you can help.

Hey MisterL,

Congrats on getting a place. Looking forward to starting the course. I'm looking for a sample timetable too. I emailed RCSI about this and about a booklist but got an out of office reply. If I get hold of a timetable or booklist I'll pm you and forward them on.

I'll have to work part-time as well...so we'll have to find a way!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 batmanandrobin

Mel87,

Yeah I worked weekends because I genuinely didnt have time to during the week. The placement thing is somewhat flexible. You have to do the core placements e.g. musculoskeletal, respiratory and neurology. In final year you can ask for certain placements but its up to the coordinator to make that happen. The first placement at the end of year one is an observational type one and they place you close to home but other than that you can be sent to any of their teaching hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Trish1990

Hey new to Boards.ie,
    I was hoping someone could maybe help and give me some advise. I have an interview for RCSI physiotherapy 3 year course and am just wondering what exactly do they ask in the interview? are the questions based on the content of your personal statement etc or...?
    would really appreciate any information at all with regards to interview prep or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jenson86

Hi all, just wanted to find out a few things about the course if anyone is still about on this thread.

First of all, what sort of things do they ask in the interview?

What is the timetable like?

What is the course in general like?

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Any more info on this programme? Considering going back as part of the Grad entry route.

Advertisement