Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking

Options
  • 16-04-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

See attached a photo of the decking in my back garden. As you can see the staining is worn away in places and this is not due to a lot of traffic!

I put 2 coats of stain (at least I think it was stain - I used on of those mop type brushes to apply it) last summer (I also gave it a good clean and sanding before I applied the stain) but noticed within a day that the stain was literally peeling off like skin.

I didnt look into it any further at the time, but would now like to get it sorted before the summer.

Do I need to use some sort of seal after I apply the stain?

All advice is welcome 4 a novice gardener!

Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

any takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

PGL wrote: »
    any takers?

It looks like you may have used the wrong type of paint or stain. You have to use something specifically marked as "waterproof Deck Stain" or coating, not just any stain. It usually should last about 3 years between coats. I have used a clear or just slightly coloured type so that the wear is not so obvious.

MarchDub wrote: »
    It looks like you may have used the wrong type of paint or stain. You have to use something specifically marked as "waterproof Deck Stain" or coating, not just any stain. It usually should last about 3 years between coats. I have used a clear or just slightly coloured type so that the wear is not so obvious.

Thanks for the reply. I used Ronseal Perfect Finish Decking Stain. If this is the wrong product, what should I have used instead?

Thanks for the reply. I used Ronseal Perfect Finish Decking Stain. If this is the wrong product, what should I have used instead?

Did you use a waterproofing first? I have used a waterproofing with a colourant in it and didn't bother to use a stain. It lasts for about 3 years like I said and doesn't chip like your photo - it just wears away eventually. It was Thompsons and the tin looks like this:

http://www.arro.ie/Products/Ronseal-Thompsons-Water-Seal-5-Litre__RSLTWS5L.aspx

It goes on with the consistency of water and soaks into the wood. I use a broad brush.

I also found this article which might be helpful:
    http://theirishblogger.info/tag/waterproof-deck-coating/

MarchDub wrote: »
    Did you use a waterproofing first? I have used a waterproofing with a colourant in it and didn't bother to use a stain. It lasts for about 3 years like I said and doesn't chip like your photo - it just wears away eventually. It was Thompsons and the tin looks like this:

http://www.arro.ie/Products/Ronseal-Thompsons-Water-Seal-5-Litre__RSLTWS5L.aspx

It goes on with the consistency of water and soaks into the wood. I use a broad brush.

I also found this article which might be helpful:
    http://theirishblogger.info/tag/waterproof-deck-coating/

thanks for the info Marchdub

I didn't use waterproofing. Does this Thompsons product have a colourant in it already, or did you need to add this in?

• Advertisement

thanks for the info Marchdub

I didn't use waterproofing. Does this Thompsons product have a colourant in it already, or did you need to add this in?

The one I used had a colourant - seem to remember it was cedar tone or something light coloured like that. But that was a few years ago. When it is applied - and dry - you can see the rain bubble up on the wood so you know it has formed a barrier. Some people do add a stain but I didn't. It worked well and like I said it doesn't chip - just wears away. BTW I never have used a power cleaner or anything like that - just sweep the deck before to remover surface dust.

Advertisement