Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumping ground

• 16-04-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Hi,

the forest near my place has become a dumping ground for dead livestock in the past 2 years. So far I have found lots of dead sheep, goats, a cow (!!!) and today a dead calf.

216590_10150171604515889_169411475888_6828065_5991634_n.jpg

I keep reporting it to the DVO and they come out, look at them (ear tags ripped out which I told them before they come out) and then tell me there is little they can do.

TBH, I am getting sick of it. Granted it's a large forest with lots of entrances but surely the Council, Coilte or the DVO could install CCTV at some of them?

How much is it to have a cow, calf, sheep or a goat professionally removed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We have been charged €10 or €20 to cover the paperwork with a fallen calf. This would apply only if we delivered the calf to the knackery, if you have to call them out it gets more expensive.

We are probably not that far away from having a sufficient genetic database from which reliable parentage could be extracted to prove
    parentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

For some reason €80 is floating around in my head for collection. We'd a dead calf a few years back and had to get a call out. I'll find out tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Thanks John, I lost a pony a good few years ago and Green from Ballinasloe came to collect him, I think it was 65 Euro but that was years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Its a terrible act. Our county council have a mobile cctv kit. They put it up in a bog near to us a year ago to prevent illegal dumping and caught 1 non-national in the act. You should check with your county council.

On a further note - if your cow died and you dumped the carcus and then cut out the ear tag, how would you explain the loss of the cow to the dep of agriculture? Are you not supposed to have a receipt from the knackery to add to your herd register to show where the animal went??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Went missing, went down a boghole, got nicked etc pp. All they need to do is go to the Gardai and report them stolen/missing. DVO will accept it as long as you got a letter from the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Down here in kerry a calf costs E16, 48 month old and older cows E40, 2 to 4 year old cows E 100 and 6 to 24 month old stock E80 from what i can gather. Fairly expensive getting the knackery out:o

Advertisement