Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adjusting stem height

• 16-04-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to experiment with a lower position on the bike so I've decided to lower my stem a wee bit to get the desired effect. Is it simply a matter of loosening the headset nut, taking off the cap and repositioning the existing spacers above the stem or is there a proper and complex procedure to it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

they way you described is fine,you just have a bit of steerer left over which you can cut down if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

they way you described is fine,you just have a bit of steerer left over which you can cut down if you want

Grand thanks, I think I'll try it out tomorrow. I probably won't be cutting the steerer until I'm comfortable with the change though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just make sure you readjust the headset (top bolt) and get that right, BEFORE tightening the stem bolts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

When you are finished apply the front brakes and push the bike forward and back, if there is play in the steerer you have done it wrong.

blorg wrote: »
    Just make sure you readjust the headset (top bolt) and get that right, BEFORE tightening the stem bolts.

Cheers Blorg took me a while to figure this one out

• Advertisement

macnab wrote: »
    When you are finished apply the front brakes and push the bike forward and back, if there is play in the steerer you have done it wrong.

Exactly what happened, needed a few goes but figured it out eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I was thinking of doing something like this, should I flip the stem or remove a spacer?

Its a Giant defy2, used for commuting and 60-100k spins at the weekends.

It has a fairly relaxed riding position and I'd like to get something sportier in time so I'd like to get used to that kind of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I did both over time. I went from stem up on top of three or four spacers to stem down on zero spacers. Flipping the stem is a pretty big jump, you could start by moving down one or two spacers and see how it goes. Then, to go a little further, flip the stem but move back up a spacer. Keep going until you get a bit beyond your comfort zone and then either move back or try it for a while and see do you get used to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I'll try a spacer in the morning so when I'm giving the bike a clean, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Is it simply a matter of loosening the headset nut, taking off the cap and repositioning the existing spacers above the stem or is there a proper and complex procedure to it?
    Cheers

Sounds good and if I were you, I would just leave the spacer on top. If/when you ever decide to resell the fork/bike, they'll want to know if the fork was cut and by how much.

Also, when climbing, you will want a taller fork so that you are standing as vertical as possible and not hunching over - restricting your breathing.

Just remember that "tightening" the top bolt on the new forks is not like the old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement