Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLC course in Computer and network maintenance

Options
  • 16-04-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

i might be starting a course in September and i have a few questions.
    in year one i will get fetac level 5 cert in computer and network maintenance and options to do fetac level 6 in FETAC level 6 Computer and Network Technician in second year . is this worth it? will places employ you with this or would i have to get a degree?
    what place would take on work experience? or where would i look even?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

You have to weigh yourself up against other candidates for jobs at the moment.

If you're lucky or have contacts that can get your foot in the door somewhere with a higher cert then go for it. Maybe offer to work for free and see if they would keep you on afterwards.

It would stand to you much better to go for an honours degree, especially if you ever plan on going abroad to work.

I just wouldn't do the 2 years and then spend ages looking for a job. Have a plan like try to secure work experience nearing the end of the 2nd year and if you don't think it's going to happen then continue onto your degree (presume there's a path from the PLC to degree in a college).

Maybe contact IT service providers and ask to do work experience. See what respones you get. I know people that started off from FAS courses and got placement, they worked their way up from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

2 years is too long for that course. You could probably learn the exact same stuff in 3 months by reading the A+/Network+ books and taking the exams yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I agree with above.

Its grand for trying to get into IT with no relevant knowledge. I would only do the first years course however. During that first year I see no reason why you also couldnt get the MS Enterprise\Deskside support Certs and the Comptia A+/Network+ Certs.

If you came out of Year one with those + the Level 5 cert, I would have no problem offering Job Experiance. If you managed to get the CCNA or even the CCENT then all the better. You are showing me that you are willing to learn and are smart enough to get the certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

thanks for the reply guys.
    it cleared up a few thing

Advertisement