Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crashes to miss dog. What would you do?

• 16-04-2011 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Thread on Motors forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056241219.

Driver swerves to miss dog and crashes into wall. OP wanted to know how much it would cost to fix car. Some posters said they would hit the dog instead as it would be safer esp. if there was other people in the car.

OP admited he was aware that the dog was someone's much loved pet so that's why he swerved into wall (turns out it was a neighbour's dog.)

If it was me I would swerve to avoid hurting an animal. What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Instinctively, I dunno tbh.

But logically, humans>animals. Straight through the dog unless it was big enough to cause me harm on hitting it. I can find a human at fault for being in the road and sue them for the damage. You can't sue a dog.

No question about what is the right thing to do here tbh. By all means move into a different lane if it's safe but foreiting control of your vehicle for any animal's sake is wrong...both morally and IIRC legally too.

Instinctively, I would crash I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Yep would probably crash, I'd do it without thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Isn't it an automatic fail on your driving test if you were to swerve to avoid an animal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

It only is if you are not safe to avoid hitting the animal.

I have avoided loads of dogs on roads,crossing slowly and everyone else does.
    I have luckily never ever come across it on motor ways.I would be heart broken if i had to run over an animal.
    I avoid rabbits and foxes all the time.
    Although i have seen scum bags who you see dont even flinch when they hit a cat or dog and drive on.:mad::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've swerved to hit an dog already recently..

.. I know I shouldn't, but I'm so close with my Yorkshire Terrier that I'd hate it if it happened him.

It's definitely a tough call though. As was brought up in the Motor forum, what if you swerved to hit a dog and mounted a kerb and god forbid hit a child instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

I'd like to think that if I found myself in that situation I'd hit the dog no problem, killing a dog is bad, but swerving and possibly hitting another car or pedestrian would be way worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It would depend on the circumstances although I wouldn't swerve unless I knew NO human lives were at stake, whether it be my own or my passengers, pedestrians or those behind or in oncoming cars. If swerving it would be very possible for the car to spin out of control with serious consequences to others.

I love animals and almost had my own dog knocked down recently, but there's no way in hell I would attribute blame or expect someone to swerve out of the way for the sake of Harley. Nor would I feel guilty about not swerving, even though I'd feel terrible hitting/killing an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I have often thought that an animal will cause me an accident some day. I would just instinctively swerve or jam on the brakes if an animal came out in front of me - I just could not help doing it. I adore animals and if any of mine were hit by a car I would be devastated. I know it sound selfish and perhaps irresponsible but I am only being totally honest here - instinct would take over and I would be helpless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I was always taught - brake for an animal, swerve for a child. Given you have a split decision, it's probably impossible to actually 'decide' in any rational way, your instinct and reactions would just take over, I think I'd slam on the brakes and not swerve off the road, but until you're in the situation you just don't know.

All the more reason for dogs to be under control and not running in roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I remember my OH slamming the brakes for a cat on the N81. My little sister was in the back seat. Luckily the guy behind us was a huge distance back but it's a busy road and I don't know TBH if my OH had had a chance to check. His instinct made him do it.

Same happened on a frosty morning 5am on the m7. He slammed the brakes and swerved for a cat. Missed it by mm's. Both times he was annoyed at himself for putting us in danger, but both times instinct took over.

He's one of the safest drivers I know usually. I think it's just a reflex.

Logically I'd like to say I would be able to do what I know I should do, but I honestly think I would swerve/ crash, I wouldn't even think. If I had time to think, I'd have time to safely stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Is the owner still not liable? Just checked my insurance and it covers me if my dogs are the cause of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I always brake havent come into a situation where I'd have to swerve.

Remember years ago in my grandads car, he was driving and a dog ran out in front of the car and a child ran out after the dog. Not swerving in that instance could have killed dog and child.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

paultf wrote: »
    Thread on Motors forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056241219.

Driver swerves to miss dog and crashes into wall. OP wanted to know how much it would cost to fix car. Some posters said they would hit the dog instead as it would be safer esp. if there was other people in the car.

OP admited he was aware that the dog was someone's much loved pet so that's why he swerved into wall (turns out it was a neighbour's dog.)

If it was me I would swerve to avoid hurting an animal. What would you do?[/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

galway23 wrote: »
    paultf wrote: »

If it was me I would swerve to avoid hurting an animal. What would you do?[/
    2 1/years ago i hated dogs, now i hve a ckc, who are at the best of times, not great at avoiding othr cars, i wud hve said " hit the thing", now I have my own little baby ( A CKC puppy, btw) i wud say if possible avoid hitting the dog, but if not, as painful as it is, u may end up hitting up the dog, i
    it happened to a relative of mine, as painfull as ir was, he eneded up hittin da dog, but the only other choice was a child, he made the right decision.

as regrds money, id still perfer to hit da wall, i cud live wit that much easier than dos but that just mho

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I'm an animal lover but best practice is generally to hit the animal...

Obviously it would completely depend on the circumstances - i.e. housing estate/town vs a rural road with hedgerows on either side - but swerving runs the risk of hitting pedestrians/oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I had an incident like this on the N5 only this morning. A Jack Russell ran out in front of me. I swerved to avoid him and missed him by inches. There were also no other cars on the road and it was a wide road so I had a lot of space. I also had my own two Jack Russells in the car with me. Didn't want to hit the little fella.

Having said that if it was a choice of me hitting the dog or me going into a lamp post /hitting another car I'd have probably hit the dog. I wouldn't want to but I'd prefer not to end up wrapped around a lamp post.

I was driving along the N4 one evening about 18 months ago and it was getting dark. There was a jeep coming towards me and a jeep towing a horse box in the hard shoulder. A deer jumped out in front of me (common enough in the area I live in). I didn't have time to brake and I couldn't swerve as I didn't have anywhere to go. I hit the deer. Lucky for me it didn't go up on the bonnet but hit the front bumper and wing and ran off even though I was doing 100kph. Lucky deer and lucky me.

I like animals but I'm not going swerve or brake dangerously for an animal if it puts me or other road users/pedestrians in danger. As a result I've hit a couple of rabbits, pheasants and a fox and a dog over the years. I'm not particularly lucky with animals on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Well to be honest. I would try avoid it if driving slow..I was driving last week, came upon a dog stopped at a pedestrian crossing.no human around,without thinking i stopped and the dog walks across.when i realised what happen,i sat there slack jawed.well trained dog or what.True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I wouldn't even slow down for something like a terrier or a cat. A large dog I'd slam on the brakes as it would do the car a good bit of damage. Would only swerve to avoid cows or horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I wouldn't even slow down for something like a terrier or a cat. A large dog I'd slam on the brakes as it would do the car a good bit of damage. Would only swerve to avoid cows or horses.

You can't be serious? You actually wouldn't even make any attempt to brake or slow for a terrier or a cat?

That is someone's pet, a part of the family in a lot of cases. Surely you couldn't just hit it without trying (if safe to do so) to avoid that situation?

[edited to reword post, previously sounded a bit accusatory]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Cocolola wrote: »
    You can't be serious? You actually wouldn't even make any attempt to brake or slow for a terrier or a cat?

What is wrong with you, that is someone's pet, a part of the family in a lot of cases. Surely you couldn't just hit it on purpose?

I dont believe he said on purpose as if he's aiming for them, but he's right, I was driving a back road once and a cat tore across the road, I had to fight my instinct to swerve, part of me wanted to swerve and the other had to stop me (sounds weird, but true) anyway I hit the poor bugger and it went flying, if I swerved to miss it, my options were I would have either ended up in a ditch or a wall, I didnt stop/get out to look for him lest I was ploughed down by the next car in some twist of karma.

Had there been any other cars around, swerving might have involved a head on. Id nearly rather hit them hard (no not accelerate) and kill them quick, hitting the brakes might have you ending up in a skid (and whatever comes of that) plus the animal might just get maimed and have them crawl off to die in pain somewhere, which sounds much worse to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Merch wrote: »
    I dont believe he said on purpose as if he's aiming for them, but he's right, I was driving a back road once and a cat tore across the road, I had to fight my instinct to swerve, part of me wanted to swerve and the other had to stop me (sounds weird, but true) anyway I hit the poor bugger and it went flying, if I swerved to miss it, my options were I would have either ended up in a ditch or a wall, I didnt stop/get out to look for him lest I was ploughed down by the next car in some twist of karma.

Had there any other cars around, swerving might have involved a head on.

Ok ya not on purpose, I'll edit that it came out wrong.

But you describe it differently Merch, as in you're driving along and suddenly a cat runs out right in front of you. There wasn't much you could do bar crash. And clearly you felt bad for hitting it.

oppenheimer1 made it sound like if they see a small animal on the road, they'll hit it regardless, even if there is time to brake safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd like to think that I'd swerve, but it all depends on instinct. I know in the past my instinct has been to jam on the brakes, I've never hit anything, yet, thankfully.

At crunch time if the option was to kill the animal or injure myself and anyone else in the car, then I'll go for the injuries, thanks. Modern cars are designed with plenty of protection for the occupants, and none for anything outside of the car. My car and my health are insured, I couldn't give a crap about some twisted metal and broken bones.

Obviously depends on the scenario though. I'm not going to drive headfirst into oncoming traffic or straight into a tree or a 12 foot ditch. No problem though glancing it off a wall or going straight into a road-level field.
    An animal running right-to-left across the road is easier to safely avoid because you can go "behind" it, whereas one running in from the left will get flattened if you swerve right. So I think I'd swerve for the former and brake for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I would stand up in my seat while driving & then just JUMP back onto my seat causing the cars suspension to kick in,resulting in me & the Car going Air-Borne and flying over the dog,I would then aim for a soft landing back onto the Run Way,I mean Road & try not burst Sump/Tyres etc...

What do you mean by a "terrier" or a cat? Why a terrier? I have two terrier crosses and you could not meet better dogs! This sort of comment makes me so livid I am hardly able to type!! A terrier and a cat are wonderful animals - why would make that distinction?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Shazanne wrote: »
    What do you mean by a "terrier" or a cat? Why a terrier? I have two terrier crosses and you could not meet better dogs! This sort of comment makes me so livid I am hardly able to type!! A terrier and a cat are wonderful animals - why would make that distinction?:mad:

I don't think he has anything against terriers - just using the example of a small dog.

I don't think he has anything against terriers - just using the example of a small dog.

OK - well why not just say small dog - its easier to spell!!:D But it might be better not to say either terrier or cat - some of us are very sensitive, especially on a Monday morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

When I was learning to drive I regularly had to drive past a house that was home to a mental German Shepherd. The house was on an open slope running down to the road (a main road, speed limit 100km/h). Any time he heard a car coming he would tear down the slope, onto the verge and run alongside the car snapping at the tires. The first few times I encountered him my reflex was to swerve hard to the other side of the road - the first time I nearly lost control of the car and the driving instructor nearly wet herself. It was great practice though, I'm now fairly rock solid and can do emergency braking and swerving without killing myself or anyone (or anydog, so far) else. The dog has since disappeared, he's either been restricted or met his maker.

I can't see how anyone could hit a dog or cat at 50km/h though. If you are paying proper attention there should be enough time to anticipate an animal/child and be able to stop. The only animal I've ever hit was a fox and that was at night on a main road with another car coming on the other side where it was simply impossible to avoid the fox.

Advertisement