Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini vs. beetle vs. fiat 500?

Options
  • 16-04-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

In a specific price range it is possible to get a 2007 beetle, 2007 mini or a brand new Fiat 500. Assuming a relatively low mileage and good condition for the first two cars ...... what would you go for?! thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What's it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mac89

would do about 12,000 miles a year in the car .. would pay around €11K -€12K for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Imo the beetle is off the list as it has nothing going for it other then styling(if you like them of course).

The mini, even in standard 'one' form would be the best drive by a mile of those 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would pick the Mini everytime out of those 3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

As top gear said....fiat 500 ,fiat 500, fiat 500 ,fiat 500.....:D

abarth

• Advertisement

ive asked this question to a few people before on various threads and there seemed to be strong opinions against the beetle .. any particular reasons why? im no expert on these 3 cars really .. yet!! but would like ppl's opinions!! thanks!!

Mac89 wrote: »
    ive asked this question to a few people before on various threads and there seemed to be strong opinions against the beetle .. any particular reasons why? im no expert on these 3 cars really .. yet!! but would like ppl's opinions!! thanks!!

Its just a mk4 golf under the attempted retro body, which is a....less then average(at the risk of upsetting the vag heads) car at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Its just a mk4 golf under the attempted retro body, which is a....less then average(at the risk of upsetting the vag heads) car at best.

I suppose I am a VAG head but I completley agree with you. The Bettle isnt in the same league as the other two..

Nice Mini here..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The flower and vase in the centre of the dashboard tells you all you need to know.
    42-17454339.jpg?size=67&uid=95b37970-8424-461f-8f86-827242059fb8&uniqID=eaca2d29-ecc2-4dac-8b8b-81739c6d8a6c

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Its just a mk4 golf under the attempted retro body, which is a....less then average(at the risk of upsetting the vag heads Audi TT owners) car at best.

FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If its a throw up between a 4 year old mini or a new 500 then the 500 has to be the one.
    Curious as to your budget, an 07 mini is worth way more than an 07 beetle. I'd have thought both would be cheaper than the 500 unless they're high spec models

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I love the 500 myself, id be happy to own one.....BTW alot of lads on here will say all those cars are gay but pay no attention to them!

Regards the budget, the beetle and mini would have to be in very good condition with less than 40,000 miles on the clock to be worth spending that much on .. seem to be able to pick them up for around €11K .. and yes the beetle is slightly cheaper. The Fiat 500 starts at €12,695 or €9,995 with scrappage which i think is quite good for a brand new car.

I am edging towards the Fiat 500 .. but still have concerns about the reliability of Fiat compared to the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Regards the budget, the beetle and mini would have to be in very good condition with less than 40,000 miles on the clock to be worth spending that much on .. seem to be able to pick them up for around €11K .. and yes the beetle is slightly cheaper. The Fiat 500 starts at €12,695 or €9,995 with scrappage which i think is quite good for a brand new car.

I am edging towards the Fiat 500 .. but still have concerns about the reliability of Fiat compared to the other two.

But your getting a 4 year warranty with the 500 as opposed to 12 months max with the other 2. It's a no brainer imo.

just curious .... has anyone got any opinions on the daihatsu copen? its another one i had my eye on. I love the exterior styling of them, .. that kinda retro look, but its a good bit pricier and is a bit .. tiny?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I would guess that the downside of the fiat 500 would be the depreciaton...
    -its a new car
    -its a fiat
    = big depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

500s hold their value very well, actually!

The mini or the VW aren't going to be any more reliable then the 500..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I would guess that the downside of the fiat 500 would be the depreciaton...
    -its a new car
    -its a fiat
    = big depreciation.

What rubbish.

- it's a new car - has a comprehensive warranty. & low tax
    - it's a FIAT - not a 'minus' anymore. Not since the '80's, in fact. The VW will spend more time in the garage. And with bigger bills, as well.
    - depreciation - not on a Fiat 500 - have you actually seen what they're getting, used ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

+1 for the Fiat

• Advertisement
Advertisement