Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a new book

Options
  • 16-04-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Ok im in one of them awkward places where your waiting for the next one to come out. So im looking for suggestions!!
    Here is a list of what i read. Ramond e-feist, brandon sanderson, j.v.jones, Patrick Rothfuss, robert jordon, david gimell, tolkien, peter.v.brett there are others but its mainly just fantasy to be honest. Any suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Have you read Ursula LeGuin's 'Wizard of Earthsea'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

cant say i have ill check it out thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

If your into fantasy it stands to reason that you might enjoy historical fiction (At least that was the case with me when I was younger) Give I, Claudius by Robert Graves a go. If you want something less heavy then 'Imperium' by Robert Harris might be up your street. Both are set in Ancient Rome, so there is enough distance and myth making for it to be sort of like fantasy...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I should perhaps have mentioned that LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy was initially written with a young audience in mind, in case that sways you against it. Other more 'grown up' fantasy works that might interest you, if you haven't read them already, would be Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels, Susannah Clarke's 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' or Stephen Donaldson's 'Thomas Covenant' series

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Kate Elliott, Katharine Kerr, Robin Hobb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

As Bluewolf mentioned Robin Hobb series are well worth a read. Try Conn Iggulden if you want something away from the fantasy genre. His Emperor series or Khan series are both very good reads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sorry to hijack but what are Robin Hobb's trilogies like in terms of setting and themes really? I have an interest from the small bit of reading i've done on google but as usual am afraid to read to much about something before I give it a chance.

What I'm really looking for i guess is, are they modern/future or 'ye olde' set ? and are they suitable for adult readers as I have a feeling they maybe for younger readers?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

calex71 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but what are Robin Hobb's trilogies like in terms of setting and themes really? I have an interest from the small bit of reading i've done on google but as usual am afraid to read to much about something before I give it a chance.

What I'm really looking for i guess is, are they modern/future or 'ye olde' set ? and are they suitable for adult readers as I have a feeling they maybe for younger readers?

Certainly for adults, I've been slagged a few times that parents of friends read them rather than friends themselves.
    I don't know how to answer the first part except that she's an excellent writer and you're sucked right into the books. Give one of them a go :)

Advertisement