Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City the worst EVER for drinking

Options
  • 17-04-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Have to say. I've drank all over the world; Paris, Barcelona, Berlin, London, Rome, Hong Kong, all over Australia, New York, Vegas, Florida, and a lot more towns and cities too. I've drank all over Ireland too; Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Donegal, Waterford, and a heap more in between. There's been a good few places I really wasn't in a fit state, and yet, there was no problems with getting into pubs/bars/nightclubs. Door staff never gave me any hassle. And I wasn't interested in causing any. I never got kicked out of a bar or nightclub. I wasn't there to look for, or cause any trouble. But Cork City. Wtf?

I had 4 pints in Costigans, and myself and my wife decided to move to another pub, as you do. She had 3 small bottles of west coast cooler. First after that, was the Washington, I think it was called, and we were "interviewed" by a young bouncer, who didn't give us a reason to refuse us entry. Second was a place we didn't even bother to take the name of, where the bouncers , while nice and sound, "preffered" we didn't enter. We finally ended up in some pub/late bar where the response of the bouncer was "oh, go on", after being asked the usual 2 questions, obviously standard with Cork bouncers:

Where are ye coming from?
    How many have you had?

I wouldn't mind if we were flaming, or even well drunk, for that matter. We were well dressed and we're not scumbags. If we were part of a crowd, well then maybe I could understand that; A gang causing trouble would be harder to control than one or two people. But a COUPLE. Man and wife in their thirties?

Of all the places, no, cities, I/we have ever went out in, Cork City was by FAR the worst for scrutiny.

I have no desire to ever go out in that city again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

In before thanks whoring 1st post ninja lurker.

I think this is about bouncers rather than Cork City tbh - maybe you just hit some bouncer turbulence?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

In before thanks whoring 1st post ninja lurker

Ummmm. I'm lost

Maybe we did, but it's pretty odd to meet that many on the one night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Its the bouncers and the street you were on Washington street.

I agree bouncers here are on power trips and sadly we must put up with them or don't go out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ummmm. I'm lost

Maybe we did, but it's pretty odd to meet that many on the one night

True, but there is a good chance you just got unlucky - I can't imagine that bouncers in Cork City are any more 'choosy' than say Limerick or Waterford or Dublin.

The door security industry should be way more professional though for sure. It'd be good for customers to see that they had some sort of accreditation and it would probably weed out the assholes who get off on the power of being able to ruin someones night if they feel like it.

I've had my fair share of being stopped for no good reason and know how frustrating it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

That's the thing. I left Cork with the impression that the nightlife with regarding to bouncers was crap. I know bouncers have to weed out the "good from the bad" but we couldn't have been bad, even if we tried. The reason I stated some of the cities I drank in was to show that the bouncers in Cork seem to be way off the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Seems ridiculous to me. I am the same profile as the OP and I would be fairly miffed if my self and the wife were refused access by a bouncer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

You were on Washington street, student central, its your own fault. If you were out with your wife there are plenty of other places you could have went and this thread wouldnt even exist.

CHealy wrote: »
    You were on Washington street, student central, its your own fault. If you were out with your wife there are plenty of other places you could have went and this thread wouldnt even exist.

Thats grand for you to say but how is a visitor to the city supposed to know that??.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

depending on your age bracket you do seem to have landed on the younger crowd pubs, the wash i wouldnt even goto anymore and im only 26

maybe next time try, suas, the classic, long island

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Thats grand for you to say but how is a visitor to the city supposed to know that??.

By the crowds of students standing around, the signs that say "Student Prices" and so on.

I've been drinking in Cork for many many years, and just like you across the U.S. Europe and Australia. But I've never encountered hassle with bouncers here, and I even worked as a bouncer for a while.

9 times out of 10, if a bouncer says no, it's because you're not suited to the bar you're trying to get into, they don't think you'll fit in, enjoy it or simply like it.

Honestly, putting Cork down as a bad place to drink based on your interactions with doormen at two separate bars is just plain silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Never get refused by bouncers but then again I wouldnt be trying to get in somewhere full of people 15 years younger then me. Ive drank in all of your list except hong kong and florida and plenty more beyond that and wouldn rate corks bouncers as being any worse then average. How you would assume all the bouncers were in the wrong in place after place and not ye is beyond me. Stupid thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Bouncers from Cork are terrible. OP is dead on the money. There nothing wrong with 30 somethings drinking on Washington St.

Im from cork and have been around the country drinking and totally agree with his post.

Just looks like the local business are after losing another paying visitor. Its their own fault

Sonics2k wrote: »
    By the crowds of students standing around, the signs that say "Student Prices" and so on.

Hardly students out on a saturday night in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Washington street is an acquired taste to be honest. Havn't been refused in years though, strange that the OP had so much hassle. Do you look a bit dodgey?! (messing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

In before thanks whoring 1st post ninja lurker.

I think this is about bouncers rather than Cork City tbh - maybe you just hit some bouncer turbulence?.
    what are you on about:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bah1011

bouncers in Cork are easily the worst i'v ever dealt with. Its just a luck of the draw most of the time if you get in and if your out in a group the chances of everyone getting in to the one pub/club are zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

9 times out of 10, if a bouncer says no, it's because you're not suited to the bar you're trying to get into, they don't think you'll fit in, enjoy it or simply like it.

That's not really a bouncers choice to make, if somebody is dressed respectably and not falling around drunk then there should be no issue. If people get in and they don't like it they leave again.

I've been drinking in Cork for many many years, and just like you across the U.S. Europe and Australia. But I've never encountered hassle with bouncers here, and I even worked as a bouncer for a while.

Honestly, putting Cork down as a bad place to drink based on your interactions with doormen at two separate bars is just plain silly.
    well if the mutton headed bouncers had any cop on they would of told the OP that the pubs were for young people and directed them where was best to go for a drink...

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Never get refused by bouncers but then again I wouldnt be trying to get in somewhere full of people 15 years younger then me. Ive drank in all of your list except hong kong and florida and plenty more beyond that and wouldn rate corks bouncers as being any worse then average. How you would assume all the bouncers were in the wrong in place after place and not ye is beyond me. Stupid thread.
    up the Dubs:p

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Have to say. I've drank all over the world; Paris, Barcelona, Berlin, London, Rome, Hong Kong, all over Australia, New York, Vegas, Florida, and a lot more towns and cities too. I've drank all over Ireland too; Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Donegal, Waterford, and a heap more in between. There's been a good few places I really wasn't in a fit state, and yet, there was no problems with getting into pubs/bars/nightclubs. Door staff never gave me any hassle. And I wasn't interested in causing any. I never got kicked out of a bar or nightclub. I wasn't there to look for, or cause any trouble. But Cork City. Wtf?

I had 4 pints in Costigans, and myself and my wife decided to move to another pub, as you do. She had 3 small bottles of west coast cooler. First after that, was the Washington, I think it was called, and we were "interviewed" by a young bouncer, who didn't give us a reason to refuse us entry. Second was a place we didn't even bother to take the name of, where the bouncers , while nice and sound, "preffered" we didn't enter. We finally ended up in some pub/late bar where the response of the bouncer was "oh, go on", after being asked the usual 2 questions, obviously standard with Cork bouncers:

Where are ye coming from?
    How many have you had?

I wouldn't mind if we were flaming, or even well drunk, for that matter. We were well dressed and we're not scumbags. If we were part of a crowd, well then maybe I could understand that; A gang causing trouble would be harder to control than one or two people. But a COUPLE. Man and wife in their thirties?

Of all the places, no, cities, I/we have ever went out in, Cork City was by FAR the worst for scrutiny.

I have no desire to ever go out in that city again.

Washington street is student territory. As you were an out of towner, the bouncer should have elaborated on his reason for refusal. Take your business elsewhere in Cork city. These bouncers need to do a course on how to be civil

• Advertisement

mudokon wrote: »
    That's not really a bouncers choice to make, if somebody is dressed respectably and not falling around drunk then there should be no issue. If people get in and they don't like it they leave again.

Actually, it is one of the duties of Doormen at good bars.

Perhaps not on official policy, but every doorman I've spoken to, mainly ones who are family or friends, do it as part of their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kensworld

My friend was in Belfast for the Ireland vs Wales game. They asked where the best place to watch the match was and they were directed to a local pub. One of his buddies was wearing runners and wasn't allowed in. Since they were close to their hotel, they waited at the door while the buddy went back and changed his shoes. When they eventually got in they saw a guy wearing a full Nazi uniform. Now that was a bouncer on a power trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Add the fact that a lot of the door staff on Washington St are all on the same walky talkies to each other as part of the "Washington Village" concept they tried a few years ago.

Seriously, Washington St is a terrible night out.

Shame that that hole has tarnished our City in your opinion. Give it another go, and avoid that place.

nightster1 wrote: »
    Washington street is student territory.

As said Saturday night in Cork is not student night.

I reckon either the OP or his wife looked well sloshed or else look scummy or something. I've never had trouble getting in anywhere in Cork unless I was in the company of someone intoxicated.

RoverJames wrote: »
    As said Saturday night in Cork is not student night.

I reckon either the OP or his wife looked well sloshed or else look scummy or something. I've never had trouble getting in anywhere in Cork unless I was in the company of someone intoxicated.

Op should post pics of themselves so we can decide if they look scummy or not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Not from Cork, but was out few weeks ago, cant think of the name of the pub its a big pub tho always has live bands and its near st Patrick street. Anyway got the the door and straight away the bouncer said come on in ladys to my gf and her two friends.

Away they went off in and i was just joking with the bouncer thats my gf can i come in too and he was just asking me how long we were going out and crap anyway off i go to walk in and out goes the hand to stop me. Got the how many had you to drink to night and any ID. I got in anyway but was a joke the way the acted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Actually, it is one of the duties of Doormen at good bars.

Perhaps not on official policy, but every doorman I've spoken to, mainly ones who are family or friends, do it as part of their job.

So what criteria do they use to judge who gets in or not? As for good bars, surely that is a subjective term.

Half the problem is that without an official policy, you are at the mercy of the doormen who don't ever provide a reason for you not being allowed in.

mudokon wrote: »
    So what criteria do they use to judge who gets in or not? As for good bars, surely that is a subjective term.

Half the problem is that without an official policy, you are at the mercy of the doormen who don't ever provide a reason for you not being allowed in.

It's usually quite simple.

Alot of "student bars", will quite possibly turn away say, a middle-aged couple, Influx will turn away someone who looks like a scobe, the Kat Club will turn away a Goth/Metal head.

Now, I will admit that there are Doormen who go on power trips, I remember one who worked at the Bróg years ago, and he was a royal pain in the arse.

My personal experience is that most are fine, Long Island for example is a decent place and the Doormen are pretty relaxed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thing is, in most places (not Cork) you won't be rudely turned away. As in you might be told "it's a young crowd tonight" but you won't be flat out refused entry. I used to take rude bouncers as part of the parcel in Cork until I moved to Dublin for a few years and became used to professional treatment. Quite often, the out of place couple could be calling in just to have a quick chat/buy a drink for someone (my parents called in to buy me a drink on my 21st for example). Only someone who's power intoxicated to the point where they can no longer see it for themselves would argue that they shouldn't be allowed to. Like someone else said, they'll leave of their own accord once it's obvious they're out of place. It's not a respectable middle aged couple is suddently going to start causing trouble and thrashing the place if they walk into somewhere studenty.

The best time was when a friend of mine was refused entry to a supposedly "trendy" establishment for wearing those River Island type tennis shoes that the bouncer referred to as "runners". Place closed down less than a few months later. I'm sure most places have copped themselves on now a bit since the "R word" hit, not that I would know, I try to avoid the city centre for the most part if I want to go for a drink when I'm down at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Cork is fairly crappy for bouncers, but I suppose I've only been to other cities for a weekend or so so it's hard to get an idea of what they're like. Usually I'd just say I'm up for the weekend and they'd explain what the story is.

That being said, I rarely go into the city anymore. I always go to a pub close to where I crash in the city (Cissie Youngs) and would only go into the city if there's some of with lots of cash and looking for a late bar. And then it's either the Quad or The Slate, where I've never had hassle. The Bróg as been crap since they knocked through to the Hairy Lemon and the Crannóg, a few cases of crappy bouncers, and one of the worst young crowds in the city.

The best place I've found for bouncers has been the rock bars, Freds and the Cruiscin. We were in town on New Year's Eve before heading to the house party for a few warm up drinks. We went to the offy before they closed and picked up two slabs and wanted to have one more drink before getting a lift to the party. Not a single pub would let us in, and we'd hardly be sneaking cans when we have two full slabs, would be kinda obvious. Went to Freds and not a bother, didn't even have to explain ourselves, bouncer just said "Heading to a party after" and opened the door.

Another story with The Quad. There was about 30 of us coming down from UCC from a society event. Went to the Quad and said to the bouncer, "We're a big group, coming from an event in UCC." He asked us what society we were with, which explained what was in all our bags and suitcases (society gear,) he checked a few IDs and waved us in. I doubt there'd be few places in the city that would have been like that.

Advertisement