Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City the worst EVER for drinking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's usually quite simple.

Alot of "student bars", will quite possibly turn away say, a middle-aged couple, Influx will turn away someone who looks like a scobe, the Kat Club will turn away a Goth/Metal head.

Now, I will admit that there are Doormen who go on power trips, I remember one who worked at the Bróg years ago, and he was a royal pain in the arse.

My personal experience is that most are fine, Long Island for example is a decent place and the Doormen are pretty relaxed as well.

For the student bars it would be just as easy for the doorman to say to a middle aged couple that there is a student crowd in and that they are welcome to come in but may prefer to go elsewhere rather than just refuse them. This would give these bars a better reputation.

For bars like Influx which cater to a specfic social scene then I can understand them having a stricter door policy. Not sure about the Kat club clientele as I've never heard of it and Google was no help.

I've never really had hassle with the doormen anywhere either, have probably been stopped a maximum of 5 times and rarely refused entry. That being said it would be a positive step if the bars instilled in the doormen that they are the first point of contact for the bar and to treat people with the same respect as the bar staff are expected to. There will always be occassions when the doormen have to assert their authority but sometimes common courtesy seems beyond them.

It's usually quite simple.

Alot of "student bars", will quite possibly turn away say, a middle-aged couple, Influx will turn away someone who looks like a scobe, the Kat Club will turn away a Goth/Metal head..

:confused:

Influx is a gay pub/club, you don't get gangs of scobes going there I imagine. The Kat club?? As in Cork Arts Theatre?? Not a pub or club really, surely they only have functions every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mudokon wrote: »
    So what criteria do they use to judge who gets in or not? As for good bars, surely that is a subjective term.

Half the problem is that without an official policy, you are at the mercy of the doormen who don't ever provide a reason for you not being allowed in.

Aren't bouncers required to provide a reason for refusal to entry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The worst doorstaff in Cork are Reardens, by a considerable distance in fact. Soho would be 2nd.

Most other places I actually find are very good for a hello and open the door for you etc.

Rudest bar staff gong goes to Tom Barrys though. They are in a class of their own for downright obnoxiousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Any pub that needs a bouncer is not a real pub

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gimmick wrote: »
    Rudest bar staff gong goes to Tom Barrys though. They are in a class of their own for downright obnoxiousness.

+1 to that

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Have to agree with the original poster here about the city in general. a few years back I was refused
    1) entry to a place because I was not wearing proper attire. WhateverTF that means. I was wearing jeans, a shirt, and those old ellesse shoes.. he said they were innappropriate. the place was a ****hole. I was sober, as I was driving that night. I wouldnt mind but most folks in there were plastered.
    2) a pint of water in a different pub because I was driving home (I had 1 pint about an hour earlier). the bartender (about 23 I'd say) said I had to buy a drink. again, the whole place was a raging session.. most people in there were buckled drunk.

I had the same series of interview questions every time i've gone to a late bar or nightclub in the city.

there is a certain arrogance about the doormen there in general that just isn't as bad in other places around the country. i can't stand it, so i just don't bother going out in the city any more and i'm there a few times a year. Like the O/p, I'm mid thirties... too old for that BS.... it annoys me to say all this as i'm from cork originally.

As for the pub business having a hard time of it... that's part of the reason why ye're having a rough time of it! the eejits on the door.... rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Buceph wrote: »
    He asked us what society we were with, which explained what was in all our bags and suitcases (society gear,)

Yeah, the ganga growers society is one of the best up there alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

God we had the pleasure of heading to town on Saturday night and why oh why. I wouldnt be a mad fan of the old night clubs but feck it we went to the Bodega and being my 2nd visit to the place I can defo say I will never be going back in there again. Shocking and people have gotten so rude...

I agree with the bouncer thing in Cork too a lot of them are on such power trips, and yep they should give you a ligit reason for not letting you in but what do you do if they say no and to bugger off waste your time arguing with them...Twats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Seeing as many of you are posting from an older perspective I guess I'll jump in with a young person/student one.

I go to college in Limerick but seeing as I'm from Cork I also go out allot here too...and Cork is indeed truly bad for bouncers!

The worst by far is Havanas,where the odd you getting in as my friends in UCC say are 50/50!.I once got rejected for being too intoxicated...I didnt even drink that night,and when I asked to speak to the bouncer to tell him I was told to get the **** away.I also heard of a Mother who went to ask what time they closed at(Not wishing to enter,had to collect him after a family accident at home)and she was told"Your too old so dont even try!".

Suas and expecially Bróg/Gorbies are by far the best.By far the most friendliest and helpful bouncers,You may get the odd one or two but in general they are dead on.

But yeah as people are saying Cork bouncers in general are some of the most unfriendliest and rudest compared to other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Kensworld

Was in Tom Barry's last year with my now ex-Girlfriend, my housemate and his girlfriend. My housemates girlfriend had a bit too much to drink so they stopped serving all 4 of us. He took her home and myself and my ex stayed on thinking that since we were sober they would serve us again. How wrong we were. Had a 15 minute debate with the bar staff over the matter before we got up and left. Shame that for such a nice pub their staff treat people in such a way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Not sure how it compares to other places really but Cork can be pretty bad.
    Haven't been out much recently but I have been refused twice at Crane Lane, both times for being too drunk. Once was fair enough, the other absolutely was not, I'd had five cans over about two hours so I wasn't stone cold sober or anything but I was far from too pissed. I'd also walked ten minutes in the fresh air to get there so was much more sober than when I'd left the house. One bouncer let in my other two friends (who in any case were drunker than me) but I got some prick and he just wasn't budging, really annoying because I'd been at a birthday party and we were going in to meet everyone else. My friend came back out to argue with him and he was loving it, spewing out the lines and waving other absolutely pissed people past him inside because he was enjoying that particular little power trip enough so he didn't have to bother looking for another one for a while. Eventually I just wandered off down the street and into the warm smelly embrace of the Brog :( Apart from that I've generally found them sound enough at Crane Lane though.

I wouldn't bother with Washington Street anyway, pretty much all ****-holes, though Preachers is good enough actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I know Cork people hate to hear anything bad said about Cork (:D) but I have to agree on this one. Nowhere in the world have I experienced such bad bouncers as I have in Cork. Being a girl I've gotten off pretty lightly really but the way I've seen some of my male friends and just random strangers I've seen trying to get in to places treated, it's ridiculous. I haven't been out in Cork city centre in ages, I was hoping it had changed a bit, obviously not. The city is well known for it's asshole bouncers. Whether you agree with that or not they don't have the bad name for no reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

RoverJames wrote: »
    :confused:

Influx is a gay pub/club, you don't get gangs of scobes going there I imagine. The Kat club?? As in Cork Arts Theatre?? Not a pub or club really, surely they only have functions every now and then.

You'd be amazed how many scobes try to get in to Influx.

I've probably got the name Kat Club wrong, it was down one of the allies off Oliver Plunkett Street years ago, no idea if it's still there though.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I know Cork people hate to hear anything bad said about Cork (:D) but I have to agree on this one. Nowhere in the world have I experienced such bad bouncers as I have in Cork. Being a girl I've gotten off pretty lightly really but the way I've seen some of my male friends and just random strangers I've seen trying to get in to places treated, it's ridiculous. I haven't been out in Cork city centre in ages, I was hoping it had changed a bit, obviously not. The city is well known for it's asshole bouncers. Whether you agree with that or not they don't have the bad name for no reason!

I have to admit I am quite surprised by all the negative comments, but I guess it's because I go to a certain few bars around the City that seem to have good Doormen.

In my experiences, at the Bróg, The Quad/Slate, Long Island, Súas, Door 51, Fred Zepps, and Sober Lane have great bar staff, and doormen.

But then looking at some of the choices people are going to I'm not entirely surprised by the outcome (Havana's etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I have to admit I am quite surprised by all the negative comments, but I guess it's because I go to a certain few bars around the City that seem to have good Doormen.

In my experiences, at the Bróg, The Quad/Slate, Long Island, Súas, Door 51, Fred Zepps, and Sober Lane have great bar staff, and doormen.

But then looking at some of the choices people are going to I'm not entirely surprised by the outcome (Havana's etc)

To be fair a lot of places are fine and I guess it isn't fair to tar them all with the same brush. Maybe we should change the thread title to Washington Street :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

RoverJames wrote: »
    As said Saturday night in Cork is not student night.

That's right ... Saturday night is get your head kicked in or beaten to within an inch of your life night around Washington Street / Grand Parade area especially after midnight. There have been a couple of fatalities over the years. One of the most intimidating places I have ever been in my life. Running battles with Gardai. Scary stuff. Stick to Patrick Street or pubs in that area in future.

There are some great places in Cork - just not there.

To be fair a lot of places are fine and I guess it isn't fair to tar them all with the same brush. Maybe we should change the thread title to Washington Street :)

Very true :P

I never go past The Long Island, not a bad bar at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

It was a Saturday night that we were there, so the obviuos student-only entry to bars would have less apparant than week nights, when the students are the usual clientel to some of the pubs we went to get into. So to say that we(as out of towners) should have known better is nonsense.

It was the Brog that we ended up in. And at that, like I said, we were greeted with a " ah, go on in so", after been checked out first. As I said already, we were not drunk, or scumbags, but in out thirties. So that was the only reason why I could think we were refused.

Only thing is, as I stated in the first post, we drank all over the country/world, and had no trouble geting into any type of pub/bar, whether the crowd was old or young or middleaged. In fact, more often than not, the crowd would have been younger than us, but it seems in Cork, that can never happen. Maybe it was just because we picked these "student" pubs, but in every city in the world, this never mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

You might change it to Washington Street,Grand Parade and South Mall. The bottom feeders on the doors at Soho and Electric seem to think they're interviewing for suitors to marry their daughters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Have to say. I've drank all over the world; Paris, Barcelona, Berlin, London, Rome, Hong Kong, all over Australia, New York, Vegas, Florida, and a lot more towns and cities too. I've drank all over Ireland too; Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Donegal, Waterford, and a heap more in between. There's been a good few places I really wasn't in a fit state, and yet, there was no problems with getting into pubs/bars/nightclubs. Door staff never gave me any hassle. And I wasn't interested in causing any. I never got kicked out of a bar or nightclub. I wasn't there to look for, or cause any trouble. But Cork City. Wtf?

I had 4 pints in Costigans, and myself and my wife decided to move to another pub, as you do. She had 3 small bottles of west coast cooler. First after that, was the Washington, I think it was called, and we were "interviewed" by a young bouncer, who didn't give us a reason to refuse us entry. Second was a place we didn't even bother to take the name of, where the bouncers , while nice and sound, "preffered" we didn't enter. We finally ended up in some pub/late bar where the response of the bouncer was "oh, go on", after being asked the usual 2 questions, obviously standard with Cork bouncers:

Where are ye coming from?
    How many have you had?

I wouldn't mind if we were flaming, or even well drunk, for that matter. We were well dressed and we're not scumbags. If we were part of a crowd, well then maybe I could understand that; A gang causing trouble would be harder to control than one or two people. But a COUPLE. Man and wife in their thirties?

Of all the places, no, cities, I/we have ever went out in, Cork City was by FAR the worst for scrutiny.

I have no desire to ever go out in that city again.

Yeah Cork is some $hit hole alright, the bouncers are a joke

especially the inbred ones working in reardens, is that red head still there...:pac:

In before thanks whoring 1st post ninja lurker.

I think this is about bouncers rather than Cork City tbh - maybe you just hit some bouncer turbulence?.

nope, thats bs

i am all to familiar with the stories the op goes on about..

RCB : "how are you?"

RCB : "had you many?"

RCB: "oh, its friday night im sure you had one huh?"

Punter: " hmmmm"

RCB: "had you one?"

Punter: "........!"

RCB: "oh, right cant go in so boy, off you go."

Bye Bye Cork, I must drop reardens an email some day...

LoL

* retarded cork bouncer

sober lane alright

probably the ONLY decent bouncers in the entire city of cork

they also have very decent beer, so its a win win situation.

reardens with their run of the mill pi$$ on tap..meh

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Can't say I have any problems with the bouncers in Cork myself. I do see them turning people away though that I don't see any problem with. I'm just glad I don't need to show i.d. anymore. Not sure if I even have any. It seems in Dublin as if bouncers nearly want you to come in. The main reason being competition. There is no competition in Cork. Small selection of pubs means bouncers can pick and choose who they want in the establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

What a load of crap. In the last 15 years ive been out in cork once/twice or three times just about every week. Being polite and not in the habit of behaving like a skanger or getting completely boloxed i have rarely ever been refused anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe you're the infamous "regular" in "sorry, regulars only tonight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

155876.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

padma wrote: »
    Any pub that needs a bouncer is not a real pub

Lol. You are one of "those" people?

What is a proper pub them son?

Yes, thats right, now run along....

Yes, thats right, now run along....

Yeah I'm trying to figure out what Padma meant to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Yes, thats right, now run along....[/QUOTE]

Classic case of bouncer wannabe

Advertisement