Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City the worst EVER for drinking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Pubs definitely need bouncers. The pubs without bouncers generally have to deal with the **** that comes in themselves and have to deal with what they leave behind too if you try to get them out.

I agree in some ways with what the OP has said, however Cork is by far not the worst place to go drinking - the bouncers in particular pubs however do tend to be a bit power mad. Sometimes it feels like getting into a club is a great achievement to me. :rolleyes:

I still get ID-ed going into every bar, except for the ones I'd be considered a regular in, so I regularly get the interview from a bouncer. I've been asked things like "Are you sure this is your ID?" - WTF like no maybe I found it but it looked a bit like me so I'm chancing my arm??! :confused: Also I've been asked what I've drank & if I smoked.. Why - Only God knows!

BUt you can't say it's the worst city to drink in when you only drank in a few pubs. If you were able to take the time to post a rant about how crap your night was, maybe you should have taken the time to check the millions of threads here about where might suit you and where the locals would consider to be great places? It would probably have taken far less time and you'd have had a much better night.

Shame you didn't like it. You should come back and we could all take you and your missus on a proper tour of the best bars in Cork. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

NoDice wrote: »
    I still get ID-ed going into every bar, except for the ones I'd be considered a regular in, so I regularly get the interview from a bouncer. I've been asked things like "Are you sure this is your ID?" - WTF like no maybe I found it but it looked a bit like me so I'm chancing my arm??! :confused:

I was id'ed a year or two ago. I would have been about 24 years old. The bouncer asked how old I was so I told him. Then he asked for id, and I said I haven't needed to show id in about four years, as I pulled out my student card to give to him. He took a quick look at it and said, "This id is too clean to be real." What the ****? Of course it's too clean, I haven't had to take it out of my wallet for four years until you asked me for ID you plank!

Too eff'ing clean, so it's a fake, I ask you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

would always steer clear of washington St

much better vibe on McCurtain St - Bru, Bourbon St, LV in particular

Buceph wrote: »
    I was id'ed a year or two ago. I would have been about 24 years old. The bouncer asked how old I was so I told him. Then he asked for id, and I said I haven't needed to show id in about four years, as I pulled out my student card to give to him. He took a quick look at it and said, "This id is too clean to be real." What the ****? Of course it's too clean, I haven't had to take it out of my wallet for four years until you asked me for ID you plank!

Too eff'ing clean, so it's a fake, I ask you...

It's so embarrassing too! My worst experience with this (slightly off topic as it's not about a bouncer..) is when I went into Centra on Washington Street to buy cigs before work. I used always go there before I got my bus so they bloody knew me. This particular morning, I went in and the guy was stocking the fridge, I said "morning" and walked to the counter, expecting him to come over too as he was the only server - He didn't! So after a few minutes I politely said "Sorry but do you mind serving me, I have to catch a bus for work?". He gingerly got up, strolled over and I asked for my cigs. He said ID. I said I always come in and he always serves me. All he said was "I can't serve you if you don't have ID". I pulled out my passport, I said "I don't want to miss the bus" and opened the passport at the page he needed. He said it's a fake and he couldn't accept it!! He said it looked nothing like me - it obviously does, my hair was even the same at that stage!! I pleaded with him a bit and he actually had the audacity to say "You're lucky I'm not taking this off you and reporting you!" PRICK!!!! Never went back!!

/rant over!! Ha ha!!

Anyway, Cork has great bars! I'm looking forward to a few brewskies in the Franciscan Well and Bourbon Street this week in the sun!!! :D Great bouncers, barmen and atmosphere! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bourbon St???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

gimmick wrote: »
    Bourbon St???

Just off McCurtain street.

I think it was the LV years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Just off McCurtain street.

I think it was the LV years ago.

there are three bars beside each other at the sunmmerhill end of mccurtain st. - LV, BourbonSt and Bru - great buzz between the three - Bru is my personal favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

jacko1 wrote: »
    there are three bars beside each other at the sunmmerhill end of mccurtain st. - LV, BourbonSt and Bru - great buzz between the three - Bru is my personal favourite

Show's how often I go along there haha.

Have a nice little nook for myself in the Quad, such a great bar imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Whenever I get down to Cork I head for the Long Valley. Been going there since early eighties and never need to look any further for a good , friendly pub.

Bourbon Street used to be a gay bar(Flux) in between Bru & LV but it's now under new ownership and they're a live music venue. The place is completely revamped with a homely, jazzy feel. Every night they have live music on, they always have drink deals & you can get pizza there too. :) Love the place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

professore wrote: »
    Saturday night is get your head kicked in or beaten to within an inch of your life night around Washington Street / Grand Parade area especially after midnight.

Rubbish.
    There have been a couple of fatalities over the years

That is actually a very low figure. A tradgedy for the vitims + and families but it is a very low figure.
    One of the most intimidating places I have ever been in my life.

You need to get out of your back yard more.
    Running battles with Gardai. Scary stuff. Stick to Patrick Street or pubs in that area in future.

Washington St + North Main St + the top of Oliver Plunket Street are where it's at. Ptrk St. is dead in comparison. Running battels with the Guards? Source me.
    There are some great places in Cork - just not there.

Name them?

Cool, must check it out some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

That is actually a very low figure. A tradgedy for the vitims + and families but it is a very low figure.

Don't have to be fatalities - Denis Franklin, a former Limerick minor hurler and, CIT student is permanently disabled and hasn't been able to speak since he was attacked just off Grand Parade in Cork city centre on in 2001. That was just weeks after Christian Scully was given the beating at Sober Lane that eventually killed him.

Cit centre, especially Washington Street/Grand Parade has always been trouble 'cos that's where the most drunk people are concentrated.

With respect to those 2 lads, that was almost a decade ago. You will find trouble intown if you look for it. I have never, ever been in a fight in town, nor have I ever been hopped. Every City has trouble spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

NoDice wrote: »

Shame you didn't like it. You should come back and we could all take you and your missus on a proper tour of the best bars in Cork. :)

Lol. Might have to take you up on that

Could be the only way all the cork boardsies actually meet up - To prove you wrong!! Yeah man there are some really cool bars here, it's a pity you'd such a bad experience but I hope you stil don't think it's the worst EVER. :D

Worst bar I've been to was in Tunisia... I walked in just to get some water as it was roasting.. Everyone stopped doing what they were doing to stare.. The only noises were the cockroaches scuttling about and the barman walked away....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Washington Street is woeful - a meat market. And really flash, wanky posy-ness - ditto bars on its periphery like the Bodega, the Roundy, the Classic, Suas, Soho.
    Pubs on Barrack Street, McCurtain/Coburg Street, South Main Street (by the old Beamish brewery) and Oliver Plunkett Street and side streets off the latter are much nicer, much more chilled out - and more suitable for an older crowd. Ditto The Franciscan Well on North Mall and some of the small number of pubs off Patrick Street.
    Can't understand why your experience would put you off all Cork pubs tbh - just seems like over-enthusiasm for labelling. How would they all be connected enough to all share this ethos? Silly.

professore wrote: »
    That's right ... Saturday night is get your head kicked in or beaten to within an inch of your life night around Washington Street / Grand Parade area especially after midnight. There have been a couple of fatalities over the years. One of the most intimidating places I have ever been in my life. Running battles with Gardai. Scary stuff. Stick to Patrick Street or pubs in that area in future.

I've been going out in Cork for 12 years, I don't know what you are on about, I have never been intimidated on the streets of Cork and have rarely seen someone getting their head kicked in, on the few occasions I have seen trouble it involved parties that were both looking for it.
    evilivor wrote: »
    Don't have to be fatalities - Denis Franklin, a former Limerick minor hurler and, CIT student is permanently disabled and hasn't been able to speak since he was attacked just off Grand Parade in Cork city centre on in 2001. That was just weeks after Christian Scully was given the beating at Sober Lane that eventually killed him.

Cit centre, especially Washington Street/Grand Parade has always been trouble 'cos that's where the most drunk people are concentrated.

Very very isolated incidents, that Scully chap was apparently set upon for no reason at all, Denis Franklin and a friend of his were according to media reports involved in an argument with another group of lads, it resulted in 2 or 3 lads attacking him after he had become isolated from his friend. I think one person got done for assault and one for violent disorder for their part in it.

Cork isn't bad at all overall, one fatality/lasting disability is one too many obviously though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

RoverJames wrote: »
    I' Denis Franklin and a friend of his were according to media reports involved in an argument with another group of lads, it resulted in 2 or 3 lads attacking him after he had become isolated from his friend. I think one person got done for assault and one for violent disorder for their part in it.

In all fairness though arguments get started over the smallest thing,For instance in Carrigaline I said to my friend that this random guy looked like one our other friends and the doppelganger and his friends proceeded to threaten us with pool cues.

I find Patricks St. far more dodge as its usually quite at night cept for usually random gangs of scobes along it with large crowds up on Washington street.

And man how did I forget about Sober lane..that place is frikin awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Reardens is by far the worst. Their selection process appears to be every seventh person doesn't get in, regardless of their suitability and intoxication levels. They are rude. I mean, people are choosing to enter their establishment and they are greeted with grimaces and irrelevant questions e.g "where are coming from tonight?" What does that even mean? I bet they don't even know why they ask that question anymore. Just out of complete habit.

I wouldn't mind, but the place is a complete shíthole. Poor selection of drinks at pretty outrageous prices. I'm sure their only offer is a vodka/captain morgan's and a splash of coke for €6. I'm sorry, but that's not an offer. The place has no personality and even when it is crowded, it still doesn't have an atmosphere. I hate going there, but when all of your friends are going there and trying to convince them otherwise fails, I'm left with no choice.

Same goes for the Bailey, although the bouncers seem to be less intense there.

• Advertisement

blow69 wrote: »
    greeted with grimaces and irrelevant questions e.g "where are coming from tonight?" What does that even mean? I bet they don't even know why they ask that question anymore. Just out of complete habit. .

It's to engage you in conversation to establish if are you after one too many and also to gauge your reaction. If you are abrupt or gruff in your response then you won't be getting in. They don't actually give a feck where you have been for the night.

I as going into Reardens with the missus once. There were 3/4 fellas ahead of us about 21/22ish. Bouncer asked them all for ID, which they all produced. Bouncer looked at them,, gavem them back and aksed had they had a few drinks already. The usual answer of "2 or 3" was the response. So the bouncer says

"Lads, I don't want to leave ye in, but I have no reason to stop ye, but rest assured, I will have my eye on ye for the night. Make sure all of your first drink is a glass of water. If I see ye spill so much as a drop, ye are out. Take this as a warning, a yellow card if you will....and have a good night".

They then went in! Jesus H Christ like. I am usually too quick to point these things out, but the missus actually pinched em to shut me up pre emptively as we were going in for her friends birthday or soemthing.

before I would EVER allow someone talk to me like that,a nd then take it. Its because of moronic automotons like these is why the place is so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I as going into Reardens with the missus once. There were 3/4 fellas ahead of us about 21/22ish. Bouncer asked them all for ID, which they all produced. Bouncer looked at them,, gavem them back and aksed had they had a few drinks already. The usual answer of "2 or 3" was the response. So the bouncer says

"Lads, I don't want to leave ye in, but I have no reason to stop ye, but rest assured, I will have my eye on ye for the night. Make sure all of your first drink is a glass of water. If I see ye spill so much as a drop, ye are out. Take this as a warning, a yellow card if you will....and have a good night".

They then went in! Jesus H Christ like. I am usually too quick to point these things out, but the missus actually pinched em to shut me up pre emptively as we were going in for her friends birthday or soemthing.

before I would EVER allow someone talk to me like that,a nd then take it. Its because of moronic automotons like these is why the place is so popular.

Hate the place, the missus loves it, only ever go in there for an event........................ I am more of a mutton lane, An Bodhran man myself though so probably like smaller pubs with a bit of atmosphere and culture not like in Reardens where everyone is wearing "Check shirt and Jeans"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Cork needs a few more late licences for the busier times of the week. Places get so packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Regarding the bouncers telling the guys to drink water when they went into readans, I can say I find this somewhat funny.

I'm sure people will know Stevie Wong. He once asked me how much I was after when I was 18. I told him 2 or 3 (it was alot more). He then said, stand on one foot and hop around. I did. He laughed, as did I. Told me to "get in ya eejit". Never had any hassle from him. Friendly banter. He is/was a good bouncer. Not sure if he's still around.

There does seem to be alot more scumbags in Cork going around the streets too. Shaved heads, gold chains, stripy jumpers. Stereotypical, yes. If I was an owner of a pub in Cork, I wouldn't want this type of clientele. I'll base it purely on looks.

However, there are some bizarre situations where people are refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i am sure i have posted this before, but i had garda id refused in reardons before, they only accept passport and full licence:eek:,
    im sure that was a lie though, i dont see why they would refuse a garda id,

the brog was hilarious, a guy i used to live with in the q in front of me absolutely hammered, says hey to the bouncers and walks in,
    me after 3 cans of heineken, "no, not tonight"
    this happened loads of times, always similar reasons, one night i actually was after way to much and they let me in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Dudess wrote: »
    Can't understand why your experience would put you off all Cork pubs tbh - just seems like over-enthusiasm for labelling. How would they all be connected enough to all share this ethos? Silly.

Simple. Of 100% of the pubs I tried, all, but Costigans gave me greif. We may have inadvertently stumbled upon pubs that we were not the sort age range that suited them to have in their places. But is that what Cork is like? From my experience it is. I stated in the first post that we never had any issue getting into any pubs/clubs/bars anywhere else in the world, never mind Ireland, yet we managed to find 3 places, on a random night out( for us) in Cork, that prompted me to start this thread. Hence, the title.

Probably, there are plenty of pubs there that don't treat possible customers like this in Cork, but I'm just stating our experience. You can call that silly all you want, but I've lived long enough to know the difference

I'm sure people will know Stevie Wong. He once asked me how much I was after when I was 18. I told him 2 or 3 (it was alot more). He then said, stand on one foot and hop around. I did. He laughed, as did I. Told me to "get in ya eejit". Never had any hassle from him. Friendly banter. He is/was a good bouncer. Not sure if he's still around.
    Hate him. Creep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

I can't imagine that bouncers in Cork City are any more 'choosy' than say Limerick or Waterford or Dublin.

from experience, In waterford and limerick if you can stand up then you can enter!

i have to agree, ive been out in cork 2 or 3 times and the bouncers were awful bastards. One of them wouldnt let me into a pub i cant quite remember the name of it saying i was 'already locked' and i was the designated driver! i think it was because of my accent (im from waterford, i cant help adding 'boy' to the end of every sentence!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

Hate him. Creep.
    Thats a bit harsh,know the guy one of the most down to earth doormen i ever came across in 20 years going out in cork.

Advertisement