Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City the worst EVER for drinking

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I have lived in Cork for about 7 years originally from Tralee, I like the place but don't feel the need to blindly defend it like some (not all) natives. The truth is entry is way stricter here then in other places around the country. I'm not saying bouncers refuse people for no reason, but they do seem to set the bar higher.

As for I got stopped but the guy in front of me was pissed and got in, In fairness there are going to be inconsistencies in anyones judgement and how drunk you are is fairly subjective. Looking them in the eyes and be polite seems to work for me, but if you do head out in Cork be prepared to get knocked back a few times, but don't let it put you off there is great nights out to be had here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

mackg wrote: »
    I have lived in Cork for about 7 years originally from Tralee, I like the place but don't feel the need to blindly defend it like some (not all) natives. The truth is entry is way stricter here then in other places around the country. I'm not saying bouncers refuse people for no reason, but they do seem to set the bar higher.

As for I got stopped but the guy in front of me was pissed and got in, In fairness there are going to be inconsistencies in anyones judgement and how drunk you are is fairly subjective. Looking them in the eyes and be polite seems to work for me, but if you do head out in Cork be prepared to get knocked back a few times, but don't let it put you off there is great nights out to be had here.

Went out in Galway all the way up until I moved to Cork fulltime. Galway is way stricter than Cork to get in. So that doesn't slide. Not defending bouncers completely, but if you go out on a sober night for whatever reason and you see the crap they have to deal with sometimes. It's no wonder people get turned away.

Having said that I've seen some moments of power trips too. But its not a regular occurance by any means from my nights out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭rachos89

Have to say I find the bouncers for the Brog and Stevie Wong to be wonderful gentlemen! They're always friendly and you can have a bit of banter with them. Now Havanas and Cubins are a different matter, it's true, but tbh the most bother I've ever had there was trying to get them to drop the age limit if there's one in the group who's 20 instead of 21s on a 21s night for instance. Last night I was in Havanas actually and the girl in front of me in the queue had her bag searched and a Volvic bottle taken off her because there was vodka in it. She spun a rather unlikely tale about her brother replacing her actual water with vodka and was left in despite the bouncer saying that if they find drink they're supposed to refuse someone in. So I guess it just depends really! Must say though as a 21 year old girl I've never had any bother with bouncers being aggressive or anything like that at all, nor have my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 glasto

I've lived in Cork since 2003, before that I was in London for 13 years, and I've travelled all over. I have to agree that the bouncers can be pretty tricky in some places. I've never had any problems personally, but when I go out with my friends its always tricky to get us all in somewhere, probably because we are a fairly mixed group age wise. The last time we tried to go out in the centre each bar we approached turned away a different one of us, and we were all sober! We eventually got in the Crane lane. So we just go to Fionbarra's now, good to see someone else give it a mention! Or we don't go out at all!

Advertisement