Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats branching out

Options
  • 17-04-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

I was just reading about their Summer School, really good idea, Irish College at a cheaper price. I know they don't get the stay overs but should mean more students get the lift they need. What is Terry like? I've heard mixed reports, he seems to have his finger on the pulse though, credit where due!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I didn't hear of this,any more info?
    Doesn't miss a trick that man. As shrewd as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Not my idea of a Gaeltacht though. For me, the whole point of a Gaeltacht is to go away on a summer camp, have the craic, make new friends etc. while learning a bit more Irish.

The Gaeltacht I went to years ago didn't involve classes, it was for already fluent speakers who simply wanted an oppertunity to be immersed in the language for 2 weeks solid - it was amazing craic and got one of my first shifts there :pac:

I thought the whole point of Irish Schools is that you become fully immersed in not only the language, but the culture too. You'll only fully get that in a Gaeltacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Terry is a hard business man. I did not like him at all. I went to yeats college. When it was in father griffin road they used to have too many students in such a small building. He was pushing as many as he could in there. If i went back i would not have gone.

He will probably pull in alot of people with this any way. he is good at advertising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If he was a shrewd businessman he'd set it up in Dublin instead.
    Tbh, this sounds like a need to generate business, grinds dressed up as 'summer school'

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    If he was a shrewd businessman he'd set it up in Dublin instead.
    Tbh, this sounds like a need to generate business, grinds dressed up as 'summer school'

I don't think you can argue the point that he isn't a shrewd businessman.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Wonder how much he got for the Supermac's ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

what supermac ad? What does he have to do with that?

Haha is it true he came up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I thought the whole point of Irish Schools is that you become fully immersed in not only the language, but the culture too. You'll only fully get that in a Gaeltacht.

I'd agree that for a student form overseas ... but surely anyone living in Ireland is fully immersed in Irish culture, it its many forms.

For some folks, the point of Irish Schools is simply that they learn enough of the language to get the Leaving Cert pass that they need to get into the local university.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

evoke wrote: »
    what supermac ad? What does he have to do with that?

His band play and sing the 'Tasty and Tempting' Supermac's sig tune.

It is pretty standard if you have a property that is only used for a certain amount of the time each year to try to find alternative uses while you aren't using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I heard of it from a few neighbours kids who aren't going to traditional Irish college as it costs too much. I can understand the arguement that this isn't as good in truth as it's not 100% immersive. That said, seems to be popular in this part of the city where parents can't afford the €900 for Irish college, this is only a third of that. He's well able to make money though! I know when I used teach in Irish Colleges many parents weren't happy unless it was all exam focused, no doubt this will be.

Advertisement