Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations of a good "il Trovatore" version

Options
  • 17-04-2011 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a version of "il Trovatore" by Verdi to buy on CD. Don't mind how much it would cost as long as it is worth listening too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

A question I'd been considering too!

The ever-helpful Presto Classical suggests the Callas/Karajan version is still the one to go for:
    “Leonora was one of Callas’s finest stage roles and this recording is wonderfully intense, with a dark concentrated loveliness of sound in the principal arias. Karajan conducts with that almost insolent mastery of score and orchestra which made him such a phenomenon at this period of his career. Whatever you do, don’t miss this set” Gramophone Magazine

“Callas is on commanding form as Leonora, Di Stefano is at his best and the whole performance is knit together with superb dramatic flair by Karajan. This is one of the most memorable and enduring recordings ever made of Il Trovatore.” International Record Review, January 2011

I might just get it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

Thanks for that and also the website which looks good for research!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 junket79

This website:
    http://www.operacast.com/trovatore.htm
    provides a comprehensive guide to the recorded history.

It singles out Cellini's 1952 set and Karajan's 1962 set live from Salzburg as by far the best.

I have the Karajan, with Corelli, Simionato and Price, and it is absolutely brilliant. (Also gettable on d****oid.) As for the other, Bjoerling sings Manrico at his peak, and it is surely well worth getting for the price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdi-Trovatore-Bjoerling/dp/B00008W7WG

i.e. about 11 euros. I'm ordering it myself today.

Advertisement