Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hybrid bike for the daily commute

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wannabe7a

brian77 wrote: »
    Hi Mate,

I just bought a La pierre sharper 700 2011, great great great bicycle!

My budget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was on an upright hybrid as a commuter for years, and moved to a tourer with drops... what a difference! Far from being fragile, the tourer is a much harder bike, and more comfortable too. The rims are narrower, so it takes 28mm instead of 35mm tyres, which means it feels a bit bumpier on the road, but overall, I wouldn't switch back to upright handlebars.

Get a bike with drops, you won't regret it!
    I'm very glad I got a tourer. Great for carrying loads, more comfortable than a hybrid and tougher too, as you said. Hybrids really don't carry loads all that well (though better than racing bike).

You can fit larger tyres to most tourers. Mine came with 700x32, I think, but I switched to 700x28.

The wheels are tough too, with 36 spokes instead of a hybrid's 32. (I think I'm correct in saying that. Someone will correct me, I'm sure!)

Okay. I made the decision and I am going for the Specialized Sirrus Elite.

Probably a road bike would be the best for the serious commute but I only need to do 22km a day. Beside I will need to have the pannier and bags hanging from the bike. I did not come across many road bikes having this on the bikes. I did not see many brands: only saw Trek which is not really appealing, Giant, Felt, Form. Though the Trek 7.5 looked okay enough but that was a bit on the expensive side for almost EUR 1,000. I saw one particular Giant which seemed okay but in the end I went for the Specialized Sirrus Elite. It has enough speed and is comfy enough. I hope it will meet my expectations on durability/reliability.

Thanks for all the feedback.

blorg wrote: »
    The Sirrus is a nice bike, I had one myself but eventually converted it to drops. I wouldn't rule out drops, my point is you can get a drop bar bike that will take wide tyres, mudguards and a rack, and will as or more durable than any hybrid. While also being faster and more comfortable over longer distances. Skinny-tyred racers are not the only drop bar option.

I changed my mind and I will go for a road bike. I got the point! Just looking for a bike that takes wide tyres and a rack. Do you think the Giant Defy 3 is okay? I want to stay below the 1,000 euros all together. Thanks all for convincing me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

wannabe7a wrote: »
    I changed my mind and I will go for a road bike. I got the point! Just looking for a bike that takes wide tyres and a rack. Do you think the Giant Defy 3 is okay? I want to stay below the 1,000 euros all together. Thanks all for convincing me!

Friend is selling his Defy 4, for 450. Think it's a large one!

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    Friend is selling his Defy 4, for 450. Think it's a large one!

Thanks for letting me know, but the Defy 3 will be cheaper than that with the bike to work scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Hard to find a road bike that will take wide tires. One of the reasons I like the hybrid and cyclorcoss types. The Lapierre hybrid (Onyx) comes with mudguards and back spring rack. Good solid bike. I have one.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=38653

Black Bloc wrote: »
    Hard to find a road bike that will take wide tires. One of the reasons I like the hybrid and cyclorcoss types. The Lapierre hybrid (Onyx) comes with mudguards and back spring rack. Good solid bike. I have one.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=38653

Yeah, I noticed. I went yesterday to one of the bike shops to inform about the Defy 3, but the widest tyres it takes was 25 mm (I think, I am not familiar with tyres). For me it did not seem that much different compared to normal road bike tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

You should look for something that takes 28 or higher. Maybe a tourer as Blorg mentioned? If I was getting a second bike thats what Id go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most 28s seem to be a good bit narrower than 28mm, at least the racy ones do. Haven't measured the height, maybe that varies more.

I don't think 28s feel that much different to 25s, not night and day anyway.

28 to 32 is a much bigger step up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

blorg wrote: »
    Note many cross bikes will come with two sets of brake levers so you still have them with your hands on the tops.

A drop bar bike will be faster due to the position of the rider- by far the greatest force you have to overcome on the road is air resistance. But obviously you would need to be comfortable with that position.

Any recommendations for a drop bar bike with two sets of brake levers that would also hand light off road / forest track cycling? I've been using a Kellys flat bar hybrid for the last year, and like the wider tyres and general versatility, but would like to transition to drops for greater comfort on longer spins and maybe a bit less wind resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

smacl wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a drop bar bike with two sets of brake levers that would also hand light off road / forest track cycling? I've been using a Kellys flat bar hybrid for the last year, and like the wider tyres and general versatility, but would like to transition to drops for greater comfort on longer spins and maybe a bit less wind resistance.

I cycle on the Phoenix Park "trails" on a road bike, with anything from 23 to 28mm tyres. That probably classifies as "light off road" - just a few smallish tree roots to negotiate. I'd no doubt be faster on a mountain bike (which I don't have) or cross bike with 35mm tyres (which I do have, but don't want to commute on 35mm tyres and can't be bothered swapping all the time), but it's not safe to go at race pace there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

smacl wrote: »

I bought a Giant TCX2 on Tuesday. I have only knocked up 60km but it seems OK. In an ideal world I would have afforded a Ridley or similar. I am riding country roads - some of the bohereens are more like tracks than asphalt. Mine came with Kenda brand tires. They seem a bit more 'rubbery' than Schwable tyres but get good reviews on the web. What swung me behind the Giant was the width of the bars. I am broad shouldered and heavy and a wide bar was a must (I reckon they are 44cm).

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Hey all -

I've just bought this bike (on a bit of a whim really,on bike to work), because I've always wanted a hybrid and fancy cycling to work (about 15k).

I haven't cycled regularly in about 10 years, and am completely out of touch with developments, and was wondering can anybody help, and advise if I should be looking to upgrade any of this kit?

SKU:
    Brand: Giant
    If you are looking for a fast moving. sporty bike, ready for the cross town commute then look no further.
    Frame: AluxX SL aluminium
    Fork: Carbon composite, aluminium steerer
    Handlebar: Giant Sport aluminium low riser
    Stem: Giant Sport aluminium ahead
    Seatpost: Giant Sport Aluminium
    Saddle: Giant Cross Trail D2
    Pedals: Resin anti slip, steel cage
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio 27 speed
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Brakes: Shimano M422 V Brakes
    Brake Levers: Shimano Alivio
    Cassette: SRAM PG950 11-28
    Chain: Shimano HG53
    Crankset: Shimano Alivio 26/36/48
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano ES25 Octalink
    Rims: Giant CR18 DW Aluminium
    Hubs: Shimano RM30 rear Formula front
    Spokes: Stainless steel
    Tires: Maxxis Columbiere 700x32mm anti puncture

Cheers

ps - I've already upgraded the tyres to Michelin Pilot Trackers, what with the bad weather on the way.

Hey all -

I've just bought this bike (on a bit of a whim really,on bike to work), because I've always wanted a hybrid and fancy cycling to work (about 15k).

I haven't cycled regularly in about 10 years, and am completely out of touch with developments, and was wondering can anybody help, and advise if I should be looking to upgrade any of this kit?

SKU:
    Brand: Giant
    If you are looking for a fast moving. sporty bike, ready for the cross town commute then look no further.
    Frame: AluxX SL aluminium
    Fork: Carbon composite, aluminium steerer
    Handlebar: Giant Sport aluminium low riser
    Stem: Giant Sport aluminium ahead
    Seatpost: Giant Sport Aluminium
    Saddle: Giant Cross Trail D2
    Pedals: Resin anti slip, steel cage
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio 27 speed
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Brakes: Shimano M422 V Brakes
    Brake Levers: Shimano Alivio
    Cassette: SRAM PG950 11-28
    Chain: Shimano HG53
    Crankset: Shimano Alivio 26/36/48
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano ES25 Octalink
    Rims: Giant CR18 DW Aluminium
    Hubs: Shimano RM30 rear Formula front
    Spokes: Stainless steel
    Tires: Maxxis Columbiere 700x32mm anti puncture

Cheers

ps - I've already upgraded the tyres to Michelin Pilot Trackers, what with the bad weather on the way.

I bought a Giant Defy 2 recently myself. I put a rack on the bike and using a pannier to carry some of my stuff for my commute. It is much better cycling this way without having to carry a backpack.

You got 32 mm tyres: that is well enough for slippery roads. I only tested my bike today cycling in the rain (25 mm). Was ok enough but then again I didn't had to use the brakes much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement