Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the 'most Irish' Premier League club?

• 17-04-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

Probably United or Liverpool....

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Sunderland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What do ye think?

Neither. Both are English clubs.

If you mean who has the most Irish supporters, i'd say liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

They're gonna love this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Essien wrote: »

Stick on the popcorn!:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Get in early and sit back eh? Out of interest are there many chelsea fans. Say over 25. I know 2 guys i work with, one lived in london and the other is spanish, has no spanish team but is a chelsea fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

lordgoat wrote: »
    Get in early and sit back eh? Out of interest are there many chelsea fans. Say over 25. I know 2 guys i work with, one lived in london and the other is spanish, has no spanish team but is a chelsea fan.

I only know 1 Chelsea fan under 25 (I'm 26:pac:), in my area I know maybe 10 or 12 Chelsea fans, all 30+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What do ye think?
    Seriously, go away with this ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Everton

lordgoat wrote: »

I've been to the supporters club in both Galway and Dundalk (Dundalk had me raise the oul eyebrows too!) In both sets of clubs the majority of fans looked 40's+ from what I could see, a few mid 20's and then the young lads. I'm guessing of the older generation a few of them might have worked over there and returned home since perhaps, purely speculation though.
    From the Superthread here, it seems to be a mixed bag agewise, which I'm glad to see personally.

Link of official chelsea supporters clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Celtic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Not a one, they are all English. Some have great Irish support. Liverpool and United by a country mile I'd say have the most Irish followers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm going to answer your question a different way; I would imagine Wolves having 7 Irish lads in the first team squad are the 'most Irish' Premier League club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

cson wrote: »
    I'm going to answer your question a different way; I would imagine Wolves having 7 Irish lads in the first team squad are the 'most Irish' Premier League club.

Plus the pseudo-irish legend that is Mick McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Kolkata Knight Riders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Leeds would have a fairly hefty Irish following I would imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

The only clubs that can really claim the whole "irishness" thing are hibs and celtic. After that it's much of a muchness really, utd, pool and arsenal all have substantial irish followings. chelsea not so much, maybe due to the much stronger "british" image than the other 3 but there's a decent amount of them around

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

mars bar wrote: »

Yep we are everywhere. Doesn't make the club in anyway "Irish" though. There is no point in deluding ourselves, we support an English club that have nothing to do with Ireland, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

eZe^ wrote: »
    Plus the pseudo-irish legend that is Mick McCarthy.
    And don't forgot our 10? Irish supporters :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

spiralism wrote: »
    The only clubs that can really claim the whole "irishness" thing are hibs and celtic.

If you're going by that yard stick you're forgetting my beloved Dundee UTD :D

As for what the OP is looking for, I'm going go with most Irish supporters, its a flip of a coin between man utd and liverpool I reckon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Celtic

Well aren't you the witty fellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

There would be a big following of Chelsea supporters over 40 in Ireland. They are probably concentrated outside Dublin though.
    I'm from Waterford and over 40 and I know loads of Chelsea supporters that age-group.
    Waterford and Chelsea had the same colours during the seventies and so it was a natural fit for kids, get the Chelsea gear and you also have the Waterford gear. and besides, both Chelsea and Waterford had really exciting sides then.

papagormo wrote: »
    I've been to the supporters club in both Galway and Dundalk (Dundalk had me raise the oul eyebrows too!) In both sets of clubs the majority of fans looked 40's+ from what I could see, a few mid 20's and then the young lads. I'm guessing of the older generation a few of them might have worked over there and returned home since perhaps, purely speculation though.
    From the Superthread here, it seems to be a mixed bag agewise, which I'm glad to see personally.

Link of official chelsea supporters clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

ha, i read the first line of this pretty badly on first look, i thought it was this:
    bullpost wrote: »
    There would be a big following of Chelsea supporters, over 40 in Ireland.

Had a good chuckle :pac:

But to answer the question none of them are remotely Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

mars bar wrote: »

What about Reading? Plenty of young Irish lads playing for them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Celtic
    Kolkata Knight Riders
    spiralism wrote: »
    The only clubs that can really claim the whole "irishness" thing are hibs and celtic.
    theteal wrote: »
    If you're going by that yard stick you're forgetting my beloved Dundee UTD :D

We're talking about Premier League clubs, not SPL clubs. Please stay on topic, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What about their bitter rivals, Reading? Plenty of young Irish lads playing for them...

I'm scratching my head at all of this, in particular the above to be really honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

We're talking about Premier League clubs, not SPL clubs. Please stay on topic, thanks.
    Don't start threads on stupid topics then;)

None of them are Irish, in any way shape or form. Manchester United have followers in Korea, are they Korean too? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

It's an overused term on the net but I genuinely had a facepalm moment when I logged onto the soccer forum 5 minutes ago and saw this topic high up on the first page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What defines an Irish club?
    Playing in Ireland?
    Having Irish players?
    Owned by an Irishman?
    Pay taxes to the Irish government?
    Have Irish fans that go to a match every 3 or 4 years?
    Just wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

cson wrote: »

Was going to say Wolves too but it's only 5 really in the first team squad;
    Foley, Ward, Hunt, Doyle and Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

reading.

no wait... Leeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

In terms of what, OP?

Support base?

Involvement of the Irish at the founding?

Number of players in the squad, at the moment?

Or and this is the one I most highly suspect - Are you trying to justify supporting an EPL team by fooling yourself into believing they're 'Irish' enough to overwrite the fact that they are in fact in English?

Stick on the popcorn!:pac:

Funny, aren't yas?
    Celtic

Cute.

Funny, aren't yas?

Cute.

Quick question, has any of the posts that you quoted been offensive in any way or are you simply not a fan of those sort of posts?

Now admittedly, my first post in the thread wasn't what I would call overly contributary to the thread, but I would consider my second post to be. If the OP or a mod considered any of the posts quoted by yourself to be harmful/dis-respectful etc, I'm sure they would have been removed by now.

Quick question, has any of the posts that you quoted been offensive in any way or are you simply not a fan of those sort of posts?

Not a fan.
    If the OP or a mod considered any of the posts quoted by yourself to be harmful/dis-respectful etc, I'm sure they would have been removed by now.

Don't count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Liverpool possibly have the only tangible claim? Seeing as one of their founding members, John McKenna, was Irish.

Not a fan.

thats fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well simply because they only need the addition of the letter "I" and the moving of another letter,

I'm going to say Sundireland.

We are? Only, the thread title doesn't specify you meant the ENGLISH Premier League. Therefore Celtic is as reasonable an answer as any.

We are? Only, the thread title doesn't specify you meant the ENGLISH Premier League. Therefore Celtic is as reasonable an answer as any.

Righteo, Bohs, Rovers, UCD, Pat's, Drogs, Galway, Sligo etc would all be Irish clubs in the Premier League of a particular country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Eirsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

BOHtox wrote: »
    Righteo, Bohs, Rovers, UCD, Pat's, Drogs, Galway, Sligo etc would all be Irish clubs in the Premier League of a particular country

West Brits don't count. :P

• Advertisement

West Brits don't count. :P

Get out

Yep but combined they'd probably have less Irish support than Celtic.

Yep but combined they'd probably have less Irish support than Celtic.

point being?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

irelandengland.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Isen't Liverpool the English city with the highest population of Irish emigrants in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I think it would be Galway as its nearest the Gaeltacht althought I think thats a very old fashioned view of looking at Irishness. Its really the Premier division club that interacts most with the community. So I suppose then it would be a club thats owned by the fans maybe Shamrock Rovers. Bit of an odd thread though as you exclude first division clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Has to be Everton. We all know about Liverpool fc turning away the Irish in the past whereas Everton never did.

point being?

They have the most Irish support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I usually detest people who decide to post their disapproval of a thread on said thread. But this one is particularly retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

They have the most Irish support.

therefore they are the "most Irish"? I'm just joining in for the buzz now

• Advertisement
Advertisement