Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the 'most Irish' Premier League club?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote: »
    therefore they are the "most Irish"? I'm just joining in for the buzz now

They could be, I've no idea what the OP's criteria is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Xavi6 wrote: »
    They have the most Irish support.

But only from one community in the Republic. Thats not what the new Ireland needs - it just breeds hatred, religious extremism and fear. Any time I go to Dublin everybody tells me they are a Shamrock Rovers supporter but dont go the matchs a bit like pub supporters really.

Anyway, if Irishness was based on support it would be Manchester United - an open and shut case. Or if we were debating in the 70s - Liverpool as Irish people are ficke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'd say Wigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

West O' Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Carlisle.

Obviously.

Roddy will have them in the EPL in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They're English so it's a bogus proposition.

Also the idea of say, United or Arsenal being an Irish-oriented club at various points in history is bogus just because they happened to have top Irish players there down the years. England or Scotland is the first (and usually only) port of call for Irish players who leave the country. We're a cheap source of culturally similar playing talent - nothing else.

In terms of support, I would say United just shade it over Liverpool for the best supported EPL clubs in Ireland but only imo - how can you really know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Harchester Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

spiralism wrote: »
    The only clubs that can really claim the whole "irishness" thing are hibs and celtic. After that it's much of a muchness really, utd, pool and arsenal all have substantial irish followings. chelsea not so much, maybe due to the much stronger "british" image than the other 3 but there's a decent amount of them around

Why sure both Everton and Liverpool were set up by an Irish man too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Anyway, if Irishness was based on support it would be Manchester United - an open and shut case.
    :confused: Liverpool have many more supporters than United in Ireland. I would say its 3:1, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why sure both Everton and Liverpool were set up by an Irish man too

Any proof that Liverpool was set up by Irishman???

First I heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

MancHeSteR UnIted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The Muppet wrote: »
    MancHeSteR UnIted
    Manchester Unireland

First I heard of it.

John McKenna was one of the founders from Co Monaghan and was also the 1st Manager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Who cares if a club has Irish roots or not.....I support Liverpool because I fell in love with the city & the club,not because they were irish or had good Irish players.

If you need to feel all woolly and good about yourself because loads of Irish people support your team there is something wrong with you IMO.Support your team whoever they may be,it does not matter how many lads down the local also support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Irelandpool!

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    Who cares if a club has Irish roots or not.....I support Liverpool because I fell in love with the city & the club,not because they were irish or had good Irish players.

If you need to feel all woolly and good about yourself because loads of Irish people support your team there is something wrong with you IMO.Support your team whoever they may be,it does not matter how many lads down the local also support them.

How could you fall in love with the city of Liverpool, It's fallng down, you obviously never made it as far as beautiful Manchester.

How could you fall in love with the city of Liverpool, It's fallng down, you obviously never made it as far as beautiful Manchester.

Ha ha,Manchester is to fake for my liking.

Ha ha,Manchester is to fake for my liking.

The Park does a decent pint to be fair.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

....I support Liverpool because I fell in love with the city

Funny how few Irish football fans fall in love with Rome, Florence, Prague etc. The really great cities of Europe. Always seem to be depressed Northern English post industrial kips that happen to have top football sides. Funny that.

• Advertisement

Funny how few Irish football fans fall in love with Rome, Florence, Prague etc. The really great cities of Europe. Always seem to be depressed Northern English post industrial kips that happen to have top football sides. Funny that.

Rome and liverpool are pretty similar architecturally.

You left London out ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    You left London out ;)

Fair enough. I don't know many Irish Arsenal fans who support them because they like Picidilly Circus.

Sounds like another daft justification to me, but I agree with him substantively. I'm quite happy that the barstoolers laughed the 'Irish' English club theory out of the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Very few Irish emigrated to Rome, Florence, Prague etc. although that does raise the question of the lack of Irish support for American, Canadian, Australian clubs.

Rome and liverpool are pretty similar architecturally.

I can only assume thats a wind up. No smilies makes it hard to tell

Very few Irish emigrated to Rome, Florence, Prague etc.

What has that got to do with the topic in hand? Which is fans of Liverpool in Ireland are fans of Liverpool because they fell in love with the city.

Fair enough. I don't know many Irish Arsenal fans who support them because they like Picidilly Circus.

Sounds like another daft justification to me, but I agree with him substantively. I'm quite happy that the barstoolers laughed the 'Irish' English club theory out of the water.

Well my love for London did play a part for me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

We're talking about Premier League clubs, not SPL clubs. Please stay on topic, thanks.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the Indian Premier League. Eoin Morgan is doing a good shift out there.

I'd love to start a thread: "Whats the most English League of Ireland Club"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

What has that got to do with the topic in hand? Which is fans of Liverpool in Ireland are fans of Liverpool because they fell in love with the city.

How can someone fall in love with a city theyve never been to? My edited post kind of takes your side of the argument though.

Well I have history with the city going back to the 1800s,not that I need to justify anything to you.

• Advertisement

Well I have history with the city going back to the 1800s,not that I need to justify anything to you.

You have what?

You don't have to justify anything to me, I don't care who you follow. But I just wish some of you would just be honest. 'I follow (insert random foreign team here' because its the easy option'. Not the contrived reasons, the latest being that you happen to be in love with the city.

You have what?

You don't have to justify anything to me, I don't care who you follow. But I just wish some of you would just be honest. 'I follow (insert random foreign team here' because its the easy option'. Not the contrived reasons, the latest being that you happen to be in love with the city.

Why do you find it hard to believe that maybe for some that played a part.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why do you find it hard to believe that maybe for some that played a part.

I find it hard to believe many Irish people would fall in love with Bolton, Wolverhampton, Sunderland, Blackburn, Leeds etc over Dublin, Galway, Cork, Kilkenny etc.

hats before we take into account that 95% of Irish 'fans' of various overseas clubs have never been next or near a home game or the city in question.

Jesus Dub , How old are you?;)

I find it hard to believe many Irish people would fall in love with Bolton, Wolverhampton, Sunderland, Blackburn, Leeds etc over Dublin, Galway, Cork, Kilkenny etc.

hats before we take into account that 95% of Irish 'fans' of various overseas clubs have never been next or near a home game or the city in question.

Those 95% don't like real football, they prefer the made up stuff the english clubs play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Would any poster on this site deny that the EPL its precursors and subordinates have fostered huge links with the Irish Nation, enjoy a long history of interaction with Irish football, and have provided the Irish diaspora in the UK with a chance to identify itself with something which is inherently British.

This fails to mention that the EPL, its precursors, and subordinates have provided many good players to the National League, in the wake of the same players failures to make a success of themselves.

It would be hard to define what English club is "most Irish", however, it is almost impossible to deny the crucial link between Ireland and the English Leagues, and the potential for Irish people to identify with English teams on the basis of nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Most Irish people identify with the English team that won the league when they were ten.

Following an English team has always and will always be absurd to me, you can try to justify it any way you want. I'll never understand it, nor do I want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I cannot understand the fascination Irish men have with the EPL, when I hear the we and us I just cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

First I heard of it.

Everton are the Catholic team in Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You forgot to mention the bit where they won the league when you were ten.

Been in Liverpool once, got robbed.

I fail to understand why Irish men always have to butt into other people's business and give out to people for liking something. Why do you even watch football then?

Since it's an English game surely it should hold nothing over you and you should all be GAA fans. I follow the GAA in Ireland where it was first developed and I support football in England and go to the odd LOI match but I realistically hold no support for a game being played at low standard in a country where there is as good if not better sport being played at a very high octane and exciting pace and high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Liam O wrote: »
    I fail to understand why Irish men always have to butt into other people's business and give out to people for liking something. Why do you even watch football then?

Since it's an English game surely it should hold nothing over you and you should all be GAA fans. I follow the GAA in Ireland where it was first developed and I support football in England and go to the odd LOI match but I realistically hold no support for a game being played at low standard in a country where there is as good if not better sport being played at a very high octane and exciting pace and high standard.

what would this be now??? :confused:

flas wrote: »
    what would this be now??? :confused:
    Watching hurling and (Gaelic) football is much more exciting than the rubbish that is peddled out by the LOI these days imo. I know a few players who play LOI and they're no great shakes tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

alot of pool fans dont know this but Liverpool are the Rangers of Merseyside and Everton is the Celtic

lordgoat wrote: »
    Get in early and sit back eh? Out of interest are there many chelsea fans. Say over 25. I know 2 guys i work with, one lived in london and the other is spanish, has no spanish team but is a chelsea fan.

Thats why I dont get it when I hear alot of foreign players say its their dream to play for Chelsea

• Advertisement

The most supported EPL team in Ireland is ABU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

alot of pool fans dont know this but Liverpool are the Rangers of Merseyside and Everton is the Celtic

Ridiculous nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And where on earth did you come up with that statistic? Of the lads i know who follow english teams, i'd say 95% have been at home games if only even once. At leats 60% of them go over a few times every season.

There is no religion in merseyside football.

Everton are the Catholic team in Liverpool

You should really get your facts right I did not know Methodist ment Catholic, anyways what has religion got to do with football

Everton was founded as St Domingo's in 1878 so that people from the parish of St Domingo's Methodist Church in Everton could play a sport in non-summer months – cricket was played in summer. A year later, the club was renamed Everton F.C. after the local area, as people outside the parish wished to participate

• Advertisement
Advertisement