Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the 'most Irish' Premier League club?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Cork City FC did not die as a legal entity, Cork City Investments FC Ltd was wound up, and during that liquidation process Cork City FC was taken over by the supporters trust.

This has already been done to death, you've already had this debate with OhNoYouDidn't, what exactly has this got to do with "What's the 'most Irish' Premier League club?"?

So between the intervention of FORAS and the court appointed demise of CCIFC who was capable of owning the assets ? Can an entity survive without the buffering of a separate legal personality, and all that it entails ?

It is a legal discussion,as opposed the Trigger style existentialist discussion about the longevity of sweeping brushes.

I agree, it has gone woefully off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Het-Field wrote: »
    So between the intervention of FORAS and the court appointed demise of CCIFC who was capable of owning the assets ? Can an entity survive without the buffering of a separate legal personality, and all that it entails ?

It is a legal discussion,as opposed the Trigger style existentialist discussion about the longevity of sweeping brushes.

You have been lazy with your terminology. You have been corrected. Move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Simply, CCIFL continued to exist in the hands of the liquidator, FORAS took over Cork City FC from the liquidator/CCIFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

You have been lazy with your terminology. You have been corrected. Move on.

My terminology does not negate the fundamental point. Seeking to compare Rovers with Cork City is lazy, and are chalk and cheese from a legal perspective.

The liquidator is the to dissipate the assets. Once the liquidator has control the entity has no hope of recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Yes I can. The point was made that the LoI is the same standard as the SPL minus the big two.

Actually according to the UEFA co-efficients they are worse (and thats including Celtics results)! With Rangers included they are better.

Rangers achievement in reaching the the UEFA Cup final wears off in two years time and unless scottish clubs start improving they will soon around the same level as the LOI which has been making slow gains for the past ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

John McKenna was one of the founders from Co Monaghan and was also the 1st Manager

Ah right sure that's the case you can add in at least 11 teams of the top my head that are Irish including Man United so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't know what happens in Britain because I simply don't care.

But in both Cork and Derry's case (and Shels) there was such a fundamental legal change in the ownership structure, from limited companies to trusts, the underlying legal entity was dissolved, although in Corks case that decision was in effect taken for them

Remember I was involved in Rovers doing this.

There was no 'new incarnations' of the teams.

Jaysus, is there any team in the LoI that hasn't been or isn't in bother.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, is there any team in the LoI that hasn't been or isn't in bother.

Is there any team in the EPL that hasn't been or isn't in bother....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

thread-derail-1953.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is there any team in the EPL that hasn't been or isn't in bother....

Well it was a rhetorical question so it didn't need answering.

And yes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

But in both Cork and Derry's case (and Rovers, Shels and Limericks) there was a fundamental change in ownership structure, specifically changing the clubs to fans owned trusts from limited companies.

In both cases, the underlying companies had to go.

You haven't a clue what you're on about. :rolleyes:

Please let me know about the fans trusts that now own Shels and Limerick.

Cork went out of existence and a new club was set up. Same with Limerick and Derry. That is fact that has nothing to do with who I support.

You can check the FAI press release that was issued before the 2010 season and it had no history beside Cork FORAS and the new Derry club.

In new Derry's case, the FAI needed to ensure there was no objection from the IFA to UEFA over a new club from their juristriction joining the LoI so the FAI ordered the new club to pay off the debts of the old club that were owed to Dungannon and Linfield (but not to players or businesses owed money by the old club).

If it was still the same club, there would have been no need for those debts to have been paid as there would have been no approval from the IFA needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

My terminology does not negate the fundamental point. Seeking to compare Rovers with Cork City is lazy, and are chalk and cheese from a legal perspective.

The liquidator is the to dissipate the assets. Once the liquidator has control the entity has no hope of recovery.
    There were differences between the two situations, but they weren't hugely far apart. There was no hope for the holding company CCIFL, but Cork City FC was then taken over by the supporters trust.

Delaney appeals for new Limerick club for 2007 season..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/wanted-new-limerick-club-to-play-in-first-division-64809.html

LoI website on new Derry-Cork FORAS game at start of 201 season:
    "It’s a new dawn at the Brandywell Stadium as the new Derry City take on the newly-established Cork City Foras Co-op in what should be a fascinating first match of the new season"

http://www.loi.ie/index.php/clubs/premier-division/derry-city/latest-news/1425-preview-derry-city-v-cork-city-foras-co-op

Laois_Man wrote: »
    England are always on about their famous defeat to Hungary at Wembley as their first ever home defeat. Yet 5 years earlier in 1949, Ireland beat England 2-0 at Goodison Park. This is not considered a home defeat. Why? Because in 1949, the Ireland team was so dominated by Everton players, and the Everton support base was so dominated by Irish emigrants, the game was effectively considered a home game for Ireland.

There were only two Everton players in the team which equalled the amount of Shamrock Rovers players in the team. In fact Tommy O'Connor the Rovers winger set up the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

So Everton then, yeah?

And they even have a young Irish lad, Seamus Coleman, playing in the first team!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Arsenal would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭LimeTime

So Everton then, yeah?

And they even have a young Irish lad, Seamus Coleman, playing in the first team!

Ah yeah, that makes them Irish:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Arsenal would be.

The Gunners are more French than English!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

So crap threads are allowed as long as they're about the premier league. I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

why is this thread still open but the other one the exact same as it got locked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

because the other thread was an obvious attempt at trolling, and while a bit misgiuded, this thread wasn't.

Des wrote: »
    because the other thread was an obvious attempt at trolling, and while a bit misgiuded, this thread wasn't.

Tough call imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I taught about closing this when it was started but I am not here to direct what people talk about,if this floats your boat who am I to say you cant talk about it even if its not my cup of tea.

Are you sure about that? Did you check your crystal ball?

Its either a daft topic for the lock or it isn't. And in this case, shockingly, a daft EPL thread was allowed run where the Irish one was huckled in seconds.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I taught about closing this when it was started but I am not here to direct what people talk about,if this floats your boat who am I to say you cant talk about it even if its not my cup of tea.

Thought.

If that is the case I'm sure you will repoen the other thread....

Thought.

If that is the case I'm sure you will repoen the other thread....

I did not lock it but it was an obvious attempt at trolling.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I did not lock it but it was an obvious attempt at trolling.

I agree. But this thread isn't?

I agree. But this thread isn't?

There are some people who like to talk about crap like this,as I said its not my cup of tea but we are not hear to direct the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gotta be Millwall. Sure we still have them to thank for Mick McCarthy bringing us the World Cup, after he learned his trade there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

to be honest they are both very obvious attempts at trolling, well thats the way it seems to me, just my opinion though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yeovil Town.... what them wearing green and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

The most Irish premier league clubs I can think of are

Sligo rovers
    Shamrock rovers
    Bohemians
    UCD
    Derry city
    Dundalk
    Drogheda
    Bray wanderers
    Galway united
    St Pats

Joke's been done, mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

edolan wrote: »
    The most Irish premier league clubs I can think of are

Sligo rovers
    Shamrock rovers
    Bohemians
    UCD
    Derry city
    Dundalk
    Drogheda
    Bray wanderers
    Galway united
    St Pats
    Derry?

CSF wrote: »
    Derry?

If they weren't Irish they'd be called LondonDerry :D

Joke's been done, mate.

This thread is a joke.

edolan wrote: »
    This thread is a joke.

You shouldn't state the obvious. It makes you look stupid :)

If they weren't Irish they'd be called LondonDerry :D
    Manchester isn't called LondonManchester, Derry can f*ck off back to the UK and take Limerick with them.

Manchester isn't called LondonManchester, Derry can f*ck off back to the UK and take Limerick with them.

Lol. Angry Shels fan is angry!

• Advertisement

You shouldn't state the obvious. It makes you look stupid :)

Go on ya header.

Lol. Angry Shels fan is angry!
    Have you not seen our last 2 results? I'm aggressively happy:D

Have you not seen our last 2 results? I'm aggressively happy:D

I was there for the Bohs match on Monday, mate :)

I was there for the Bohs match on Monday, mate :)
    Oh yeah, you're one of those now:)

Oh yeah, you're one of those now:)

Not the first time I'v been mistaken for a Bohs fan, yuck :P

Laois_Man wrote: »
    England are always on about their famous defeat to Hungary at Wembley as their first ever home defeat. Yet 5 years earlier in 1949, Ireland beat England 2-0 at Goodison Park. This is not considered a home defeat. Why? Because in 1949, the Ireland team was so dominated by Everton players, and the Everton support base was so dominated by Irish emigrants, the game was effectively considered a home game for Ireland. Again in 1995 when Ireland played the Euro '96 qualifying playoff at Anfield, Ireland effectively had that as a home game with huge support from both sides of the Merseyside divide. But that was against Holland.

It wouldn't happen in any EPL ground today that Ireland would effectively have a home game against England from the host clubs local support, but Everton is the only place it has happened, or could have happened.

Very few Everton players on the team. In fact the team had two Shamrock Rovers palyers on the team. At the time the English acknowledged the defeat as a foreign loss. Seems to have been forgotten about since as Hungary thumbed later on. Not surprising as Hungary were an amazing team at the time. A bit like Brazil or Barcelona.

• Advertisement
Advertisement