Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm to buy veg ?

Options
  • 17-04-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Anyone know of any farms that you could drop by and buy veg in Kildare (near Naas if possible) ?

I hate farmers markets where everything about them has nothing to do with farms or local farm produce ... just imported, over priced, artisan crap.
    And the supermarkets have very little from here.

I suppose adding any other kind of produce would work as well fruit, meat etc ??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

the only place that I know of is http://www.castlefarmshop.ie/
    but i wasnt really impressed when i was there. They are only opening on the last weekend of every month now so maybe it might be better

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

great , well its a start ... looks lovely. but at once a month its not going to replace tesco :)

I didn't think it would be so hard to find farm produce ... I think I am starting a long voyage of learning about Irish farming.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hemrick's farm in Laraghcon just outside Lucan on the Clonee road (almost Kildare) sell their own potatoes and have Irish home grown vegetables in season.

Well worth visiting with potatoes at something like €3 for a 20 Kg bag :cool:

Edit: Should say that had only have potatoes when I was there two weeks ago as the snow killed off any Irish veggies. But I suppose that the new year crops will be available soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

hmmm I'll keep and eye out for that cheers ... keep em coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dos1965

Try Choiseul Farm Shop in TwoMileHouse. Opens Thursday - Saturday. Great spot.

http://www.farmfoods.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Rosahane wrote: »
    Hemrick's farm in Laraghcon just outside Lucan on the Clonee road (almost Kildare) sell their own potatoes and have Irish home grown vegetables in season.

Well worth visiting with potatoes at something like €3 for a 20 Kg bag :cool:

Edit: Should say that had only have potatoes when I was there two weeks ago as the snow killed off any Irish veggies. But I suppose that the new year crops will be available soon!

What "Irish veggies" would they have had if there was no snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Joe Public wrote: »
    What "Irish veggies" would they have had if there was no snow?

All the winter vegetables got snow/frost damaged in the fields and rotted. They would have had sprouts, kale, turnips, brocolli etc.

I think Hemricks only sell Irish grown vegetables so nothing yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

I've seen a few signs for a new "farmer's shop" selling "freshly grown veg, seeds etc.... at Peamount Hospital just beside Newcastle.......coming from Naas that wouldn't be too far. Haven't been there yet but it could be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Rosahane wrote: »
    All the winter vegetables got snow/frost damaged in the fields and rotted. They would have had sprouts, kale, turnips, brocolli etc.

I think Hemricks only sell Irish grown vegetables so nothing yet!

Thanks, I could only think of sprouts being out in the winter.

Advertisement