Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here we go again...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

While I think publicly funded companies should not display religious symbols I would think he should simply have to switch to wearing a cross. However their "equality and diversity" manager seems like a dick. How she can condone staff wearing a burka in company colours seems a bit hypocritical. I also don't think political posters like that of Che Guevara should be on display in a publicly funded business either...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

ShooterSF wrote: »
    While I think publicly funded companies should not display religious symbols I would think he should simply have to switch to wearing a cross. However their "equality and diversity" manager seems like a dick. How she can condone staff wearing a burka in company colours seems a bit hypocritical. I also don't think political posters like that of Che Guevara should be on display in a publicly funded business either...

^^ This, pretty much.
    As far as I'm concerned, he should be able to have a cross in his car, where he can see it. From that picture, though, it looks as if he's got it in a place where everybody BUT him can see it. I can sort of understand that the company may not be too pleased about that. There's a bit of a difference between having a cross dangling from the rear mirror, and having one placed like an announcement on the dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It's the Mail. Frankly, I wouldn't believe any of that unless it came from a creditable source.

It's the Mail. Frankly, I wouldn't believe any of that unless it came from a creditable source.

Part of me does think there's a side to this we're not seeing as the mail clearly has it's agendas. Also there was a lot of crap about his sick wife that has zero to do with the issue. Then again that's why I don't like newspapers, they never stick to the facts of the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Typical Daily Mail headlines:
    ARE THE GAYS GIVING OUR CHILDREN CANCER?
    IS CANCER GIVING OUR CHILDREN THE GHEY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Part of me does think there's a side to this we're not seeing as the mail clearly has it's agendas. Also there was a lot of crap about his sick wife that has zero to do with the issue. Then again that's why I don't like newspapers, they never stick to the facts of the issue.

facts dont sell newspapers, hysteria, ignorant statements and distracting the simple minded fools who buy them to begin with do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't see what the problem with a guy having a cross on his car is.
    That said, I'd like to read up more on the issue since the Daily Mail tend to be a bit hysterical and rarely tell the full story about this sort of thing. I recall the uproar they generated about that nurse who was sacked for wearing her cross necklace at work. It seemed like a genuine complaint until you read further into it. Turns out she had been repeatedly told not to have the necklace dangling outside her uniform (it's a health and safety rule, nothing to do with religion) and ignored the warnings.
    So I think I'll be forgiven for not taking the Daily Mail's word on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I also don't think political posters like that of Che Guevara should be on display in a publicly funded business either...

Why not? :confused:

Frankly I despise any sort of authoritarian rules by bosses/managers
    relating to clothing/designated uniform/shoes/appearance etc... &
    find it completely unjustifiable but it's pretty obvious that this rag is
    purposely misinterpreting the situation (i.e. the policy of one manager)
    to paint a picture of a war on christianity.

Had a skull & cross bones been displayed I doubt we'd read such a
    sympathetic story, more likely we'd read about satanism's rising
    ranks & how those exact skull and cross bones are responsible for
    that christian anti-gay couple not being allowed to adopt or something...

Still, I hope the guy challenges them and wins.

Why not? :confused:

If it was a private business then go for it. Hell I was one of the worst for breaking appearance rules in my jobs but state funded business should not show any allegiance to a political or religious belief in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Personally, I think people need to remember to draw a line of distinction between the company displaying symbols and an employee displaying symbols. The cab of a van is not exactly a public access area (or at least it shouldnt be) and for guys on the road it counts as their desk. How many people have crosses or stars or lucky-doo-dads in their cubicles?

If it were a bumper sticker or a set of blinged out "pope rims" then it would be a different story.

Overkill by middle management types. Hype by the Daily Mail. Yawn by me as a verdict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Am I the only one who thinks that article is at least three times as long as it should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Zillah wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that article is at least three times as long as it should be?

Lol. I thought that myself. Then I remembered it was the daily mail which has a certain quota of hysteria it must cram into every issue. I suspect they were short of ethnic minorities and peasants to villify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Because I'm in a video posting mood at the moment I thought that I would share this little sentiment regarding the credibility of the story in the OP:

I love this song, especially since it reminds me of Italia '90.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If the article is long people won't read the full thing and naturally assume that it was full of useful content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI.

How does one embed vids here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

legspin wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI.

How does one embed vids here?

You just do the youtube and /youtube tags. In the middle, put the 11 alphanumerical code.

like so:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What probably happened

Manager - Hi Colin. Would you mind taking down that cross from your dash board. Thanks

Colin - HOW DARE YOU!

Manager - Er, sorry Colin, but we don't want to give the impression that you are evangelising while on the job.

Colin - YOU ARE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST MY RIGHTS!

Manager - Er, again sorry Colin but you are public employee and that is a public van. You have stuck a religious symbol in a prominent position in your van, and while you serve the public while representing the council you should remain neutral in terms of these matters lest you appear to be evangelising on the job.

Colin -I'M GOING TO THE DAILY MAIL WITH THIS, THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!

The rest of the world to Daily Mail reading Christians, stop being muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

If it was a private business then go for it. Hell I was one of the worst for breaking appearance rules in my jobs but state funded business should not show any allegiance to a political or religious belief in my opinion.

As was I :D But I just don't understand what is so bad about Sandra
    having a poster of action man in her cubicle, or Timmy having a michelin
    man air freshener in his car, or bobby having a piece of spaghetti
    signifying the FSM placed over his insurance disk. None of these are bad
    but if you put a cross up somehow it's interpreted as preaching or
    something :confused: Doesn't make any sense, this is not like hanging a cross in
    a courtroom it's about a guy feeling comfortable in his workspace in a
    supposedly liberal society.

If someone interprets a cross or the michelin man or a death metal
    t-shirt as preaching or is offended by it, appealing to the lowest common
    denominator (i.e. appeasing them for not being able to think through a
    difficult line of thought) isn't going to solve any problems it's simply
    sweeping huge societal issues under the rug.

Also, if a cross is interpreted as company allegiance to christianity then the michelin
    man should be interpreted as company allegiance to michelin SCA corporation
    (if we were playing that tired old game of consistency) and as such it
    should also be banned, along with all signs of model of car the company
    uses for fear of showing biases to ford motors (or god forbid remind
    someone of ford's dark, nazi-linked history and thereby offend someone).
    If I wear a t-shirt by nike what right-minded person interpets that as some
    kind of allegiance to nike (or me condoning sweatshop conditions)? This is
    pure nonsense.

It may be company policy but it's entirely unjustifiable & I hope the
    guy challenges their ridiculous procedures & forces them to change,
    that's how progress is made - by rocking the boat.

Still, none of this excuses the sham-journalism in that article :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

All daily mail articles are longer than they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

MrPudding wrote: »
    I happened to be in the shop and spotted the headline. Honest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377684/Electrician-Colin-Atkinson-faces-sack-Christian-cross-van-dashboard.html

Poor little persecuted christians, and so close to easter as well. Do those evil secularists have no shame...?

MrP

This is daft honestly. Daft on the part of the company. If someone gets offended at a palm cross they just need to get over it :pac:

Jakkass wrote: »
    This is daft honestly. Daft on the part of the company. If someone gets offended at a palm cross they just need to get over it :pac:

How would you feel if a Dublin Bus driver put Koranic verses in full view at the front?

How would you feel if a Dublin Bus driver put Koranic verses in full view at the front?

I'd be totally OK with that. Dublin Bus doesn't really seem to have a strict policy of no religious symbols, particularly not in advertising.

In fact I have been in a taxi whereby the taxi driver had the Bible on his dash. I got into a conversation about his faith (he was a Seventh Day Adventist).

The only ones that seem to get offended at things like this are atheists, and as far as I see it there is no reason for this offense. It isn't like the van driver is putting a huge banner on the side of this truck.

I like the fact in a free society people can express their faith and engage others about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

I'd be totally OK with that. Dublin Bus doesn't really seem to have a strict policy of no religious symbols, particularly not in advertising.

In fact I have been in a taxi whereby the taxi driver had the Bible on his dash. I got into a conversation about his faith (he was a Seventh Day Adventist).

The only ones that seem to get offended at things like this are atheists, and as far as I see it there is no reason for this offense. It isn't like the van driver is putting a huge banner on the side of this truck.

I like the fact in a free society people can express their faith and engage others about it.

Just curious - would you be okay with a bus driver or taxi driver who put a big sign saying "There is no God - get over it" in the front window?

Personally I don't think anyone should flaunt their religion or lack thereof in a public space. It's just rude.

swampgas wrote: »
    Just curious - would you be okay with a bus driver or taxi driver who put a big sign saying "There is no God - get over it" in the front window?

A big sign would be taking that liberty too far. If one had The God Delusion or some other atheist book on the dash because they would like to read it, I would consider that perfectly OK. Just as I wouldn't say that putting a huge banner saying "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger" on the dash. Having a Qur'an, a Bible, or small religious / philosophical symbols on the dash IMO is fine.

If a cross makes you more comfortable in your space, go for it just be reasonable about exercising such liberties. I think Christians should try to be on the same page as their employers in respect to their work, and I think God would want us to try and get our employers on our side rather than being against us in the workplace.
    Personally I don't think anyone should flaunt their religion or lack thereof in a public space. It's just rude.

I disagree with you. It isn't always rude. Personally I express my faith to non-believers publically if it comes up in a conversation. What did you do this weekend for example. Church inevitably comes up. If a conversation leads to a faith based subject then yeah I'll discuss it, and most people I have discussed with have done so on their own impetus rather than mine.

I don't see why I should have to hide my faith from others.

Personally I found the Bible on the taxi drivers dash as an opportunity to ask him about what he believed and it was a civil and enjoyable conversation. What's wrong with that?

As long as they do it in a personal fashion, then sure, go nuts. Wear a cross, tattoo your face for all I care. But the state should not show favouritism for any religion, and that includes prominently displaying symbols on vehicles of a public coporation.

I disagree with you. It isn't always rude. Personally I express my faith to non-believers publically if it comes up in a conversation. What did you do this weekend for example. Church inevitably comes up. If a conversation leads to a faith based subject then yeah I'll discuss it, and most people I have discussed with have done so on their own impetus rather than mine.

I don't see why I should have to hide my faith from others.

Personally I found the Bible on the taxi drivers dash as an opportunity to ask him about what he believed and it was a civil and enjoyable conversation. What's wrong with that?

In my experience it is unusual for someone to put a bible in a visible location - their office desk, or their (public) taxi, unless they are trying to make a statement of some kind. It's almost like a challenge - I dare you to question my right to put my bible here. Or maybe, an invitation to a bit of proselytising. That's what is rude about it - it is being a little pushy.

I'd be happier with a sign in the cab that said "Driver is happy to discuss religion" without specifying which one.

I have noticed that the person with the bible rarely wants to hear my take on why atheism makes more sense than theism. Seems to be a one way street that.

In my experience it is unusual for someone to put a bible in a visible location - their office desk, or their (public) taxi, unless they are trying to make a statement of some kind. It's almost like a challenge - I dare you to question my right to put my bible here. Or maybe, an invitation to a bit of proselytising. That's what is rude about it - it is being a little pushy.

I don't see how it is. The Bible on the dash doesn't say anything. By the by, personally I bring one with me wherever I go. The exception being work, due to the fact that I work in a place where it wouldn't be good to leave a Bible around.

In university and in any other context I bring a Bible with me. I think if the taxi driver would like to read the Bible at any other stage during his shift I don't see why that should concern me (leaving aside the fact that I believe reading the Bible is great, and that God uses the Bible to change lives).
    I'd be happier with a sign in the cab that said "Driver is happy to discuss religion" without specifying which one.

Just because there is a Bible on the dash doesn't mean that you have to talk to them about this. In fact if the driver decided that he didn't want to talk about the Bible or his faith I would have stopped. I was genuinely curious and we only started talking because I asked him about it.
    I have noticed that the person with the bible rarely wants to hear my take on why atheism makes more sense than theism. Seems to be a one way street that.

If that is true that's a sad reflection. Personally I would like people to do this in real life, because I would be really surprised if there was anything that suggested that atheism made better sense than Christianity.

I don't see how it is. The Bible on the dash doesn't say anything.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Often it is there quite intentionally. It would be very easy to put the bible in the glove box when it's not being read.
    By the by, personally I bring one with me wherever I go. The exception being work, due to the fact that I work in a place where it wouldn't be good to leave a Bible around.

In university and in any other context I bring a Bible with me. I think if the taxi driver would like to read the Bible at any other stage during his shift I don't see why that should concern me (leaving aside the fact that I believe reading the Bible is great, and that God uses the Bible to change lives).

And just because you feel the bible is wonderful doesn't mean that other people would be comfortable discussing it.

Most people when confronted with someone eager to discuss the bible are trapped by their own good manners and refuse to tell the bible-pusher they really not interested.
    Just because there is a Bible on the dash doesn't mean that you have to talk to them about this. In fact if the driver decided that he didn't want to talk about the Bible or his faith I would have stopped. I was genuinely curious and we only started talking because I asked him about it.

Fair enough.
    If that is true that's a sad reflection. Personally I would like people to do this in real life, because I would be really surprised if there was anything that suggested that atheism made better sense than Christianity.

I have no problem discussing god, religion and atheism in an appropriate forum - that's why I'm posting here, where people want to discuss these things. But when rubbing along with fellow strangers in public, it's easier for most people to avoid discussing contentious issues - I wouldn't want to discuss abortion or politics with every cabbie I met either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

....because I would be really surprised if there was anything that suggested that atheism made better sense than Christianity.

How many times dude? Logic, reason and rationality! :rolleyes:

Advertisement