Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chrono Trigger V Final Fantasy VI

• 17-04-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

The 2 best rpgs on the snes, some would say the two best rpgs on any system ever, but which is the better game and why?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think ChronoTrigger is the best rpg of the two.
    That said, there are some serious Earthbound fans here who may disagree and I really liked Zelda.
    Not sure either would qualify as the best rpg games ever, or even so far.
    I have really enjoyed the next gen delights of Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and found it to be one of my favourite fantasy based rpgs ever, can't wait for episode 5.
    And aside from that, Mass Effect 2 and Knights of the Old Republic were enormous fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They all have lovely bottoms!

Chrono Trigger has in my experience fewer difficulty spikes, but they both have great stories. CT if I had to pick, but sure just play both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Chrono Trigger. It's one of my favourite games of all time.

I liked FF VI, but don't think it's as good as people make out.

I can hear Retr0gamer running towards this thread with a big box version of Earthbound, ready to crack everyone over the head with it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    I liked FF VI, but don't think it's as good as people make out.

It's those cursed random battles. So many of the feckers. Makes walking in a straight line a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Chrono Trigger was a great step forward in RPG design.

And its replayability is through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Again zelda's not an RPG!

Anyway despite being a massive Earthbound fan I'd probably choose Chrono Trigger over it because it's just consistently brilliant the whole way through while earthbound has random battles and its genius isn't really apparent until the end storywise.

Now FFVI and Earthbound is much tougher. Loved both but think I'll go for earthbound since narratively it's got the bigger pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Tough choice but forced to choose I'd pick FF6 on the basis of the opera scenes alone. Wonderful stuff.

SNES era though they both get pipped by Mother 2 for me. That and Ganbare Goemon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oops Earthbound had no random battles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Should really give Star Ocean on the SNES a mention too. And Terranigma, Dragon Quest V and Secret of Mana!

Still Mother 2 pips them all though, but only just!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Should really give Star Ocean on the SNES a mention too. And Terranigma, Dragon Quest V and Secret of Mana!

Still Mother 2 pips them all though, but only just!

I picked ff6 and chrono trigger because popular opinion considers these to be the best 2 rpgs on the system, of course we all have our personal favs, mine is shadow run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Terranigma for me, ahead of anything else on the SNES. Of the two mentioned, FFVI get my vote.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, I love Star Control 2 on the 3DO, nearly forgot that one, kept me glued to the telly for ages, great stuff, the battles were epic!

Advertisement