Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving and Phones J-1 visa

Options
  • 17-04-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Im going to be in New York for the summer on a J-1 visa Im wondering is it possible to get a motorbike or car license while over there, I currently only have a learning license here in Ireland. And is it possible to take a Irish mobile phone over there and get it unblocked to call US numbers or would it be better to buy a US mobile phone.

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

As explained here, you can drive with your Irish drivers license. However, I don't know the regulations for an international permit. It might be worth contacting the NYS DMV about.

You can buy cheap phones in the US or you can bring an unlocked phone and buy a sim card. Bare in mind that Pay as you Go is not common in the US, most people are on bill pay so finding a sim card store and stores to top up at can be difficult. There are some phone companies that offer a month to month contract which you should look into. I wouldn't suggest using your Irish phone though, it would be way too expensive.

Advertisement