Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft goggles...

• 17-04-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

Right so I have been using these (obviously just the $15 pair off RSOV, sprayed camo and with drop-downs added to hide the gap between them and lower face-mask) for the last year or so while airsofting and have to say they have been great

Goggles_airsoft_greentree_camo_faceprotection_paintjob.jpg

Gogglesandlowerfaceshield_airsoft_greentree_camo_faceprotection_painjob.jpg

Gogglesonlowerfaceshield_airsoft_greentree_camo_faceprotection_painjob.jpg

However two recent things have made me wonder about changing them. Firstly they broke yesterday at the end of play (either the last BB that hit me hit a weakpoint on the frame or something was placed on top of them on the way home so the frame split....can be gleud but with eye-wear would rather not!)

Secondly tried on a pair of yellow lens bolle safety glasses recently and was AMAZED at how much better your vision is behind yellow glass lenses as opposed to mesh or even clear glass.....everything seems far brighter.

Now the draw back to them was that because they were safety glasses and i tried them on after a couple hours of play in the heat they fogged up within a minute of putting them on!they also did not provide as much protection as my setup as they could not have dropdowns added.

So where this has all led me is that I am thinking of getting Goggles with yellow lenses for airsofting. These would give me the face protection i want and would also be easier to keep demisted than glasses that sit almost against the skin.

So what I would love to know:

1.Fan goggles, thermal lenses, lenses with anti-fog coatings.... do they work as advertised?
    2. Do they add alot of bulk, make it more difficult to use optics (most of mine are high profile anyway because i have the lower facemask)
    3. What are good goggles to get?

thanks in advance guys,

Ste

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

The goggles that I use are these ones here: http://www.rvops.co.uk/oakley-si-ballistic-goggles-black-clear-2076.html

They fit comfortably on my face but you will lose a bit of your peripheral vision but not enough to affect you when playing.

To prevent fogging you will have to use an anti-fogging solution on them. With the anti-fogging you will not get any fog on your goggles and I'd be playing a game for about 6 hours with sweat flowing off me and I'd still have good vision through the goggles, because there is goggles you can get where even with anti-fogging they still fog up but not these.

I've had a few straight hits to the goggles and not even a scratch was left on them. You can even sense from the hit just how tough they are.

I've had no problem aiming with a scope with them and I've never had them slip on me when I'd be running. They aren't heavy either so that shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing that might put you off getting these is the price. They come in at £70 (~€80) but if for some reason that my current goggles broke I'd buy the same ones again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I have tried every type of google/mask I could get my hands on and all that weren't mesh fogged at some stage.I used themals/full mask with fans and 2mm holes drilled around the edge/glasses and mesh.Iv tried all sorts of anti-fog and at some stage they all fail.I like you was going to try the bitterend stamped steel glasses but found them much to dark.I then looked for steel mesh glasses but they cant be got(a pair that are any good anyway).I was then going to try make my own from buying my own wire mesh but I couldn't get it right.I also find anything other then goggles/glass very cumbersome and hot.I'm now running ESS advancer 12 goggles and I love them.They still fog sometimes but its something iv chosen to live with.I find it hard to recommend you anything as everyone is different when it comes to eye/face protection.

Best of luck

http://www.bitterendgoggles.com/bitter_end_goggles.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I use the Desert Locusts which have interchangeable lenses depending on the weather...
    You get smoke (great for sunny days) clear and the high contrast (yellow-fantastic for forests and cloudy days...but a real bitch to wear in sunny weather...makes it too bright and painful for your eyes) hence the advantages of having changeable lenses.
    They still fog up but since I removed the foam all around the glasses they don't tend to fog up as much. And I keep meaning to try an anti-fog wipes on them.
    Note they only fog in high temps or when I'm perspiring heavily.
    Until the hot weather last weekend I had no problems with them.

Below is a review and an idea of what they look like

http://www.canadianwildernesssurvival.com/reviews/Reviews/Revision%20Desert%20Locust%20Goggles%20Review.html

Advertisement