Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Deposition Question

• 17-04-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

As you might know, an Irish landform comes up on the Geography LC HL exam most years (if not all). I'm doing rivers, so for erosion I have a waterfall learned, and for deposition i have an oxbow lake.

My teacher is being indecisive and saying that an examiner mightn't accept an oxbow lake as a sample of deposition, but she won't give me a yes/no answer. With 8 HL subjects learning a delta on top of an oxbow lake is just annoying!! Can anyone tell me if I could just do the oxbow lake?

Yes I'm rambling on, but thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

If I were you I would go for a delta. There is a lot you can write on it and a lot of irish examples too. I am not really sure how you could write 13-14 SRPS on ox-bow lakes.

Also on a side not, the question nearly every year is "the processes that have led". I dont think it ever defines erosion OR deposition. I theroy you could just learn the waterfall. Thats what Im doing anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

river braiding is another option for deposition. 15 srps on it isn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I did Ox-Bow lake for a form of depisition for my JC pre's.

Got nothing for it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Why on earth would they give nothing for an ox bow lake?

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Why on earth would they give nothing for an ox bow lake?

Era..... Some teachers!

I even went home and looked it up straight after. First thing it says on wikipedia is that its a form of deposition. I don't understand why I got nothing either! I got the question perfectly right aswell! Would have gotten a B instead of a C...... if it was marked.

• Advertisement

That's shocking FatRat.I've notes from my teacher here and she has it down as an answer for deposition anyway.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    That's shocking FatRat.I've notes from my teacher here and she has it down as an answer for deposition anyway.

Not to worry. It was only the mocks! I'll do a delta or something else if it comes up in the Junior Cert. I suppose some correctors just don't think an Ox-Bow is right! In fairness though its more erosion then it is deposition, right? Since the river erodes the bank then deposits. Yeh, I reckon it's still deposition though. It should, by right, be a correct answer.

I do know what you mean,I was just having this conversation with someone the other day. They wouldn't give you 0 in the real thing. Even if they did,rechecks would give you marks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Normally they don't specify deposition or erosion, but they can do (so assume they will). Unlike a lot of people (so it seems) I did the sea instead of rivers, and we used the formation of beaches for deposition, and cliffs for erosion - there's a tonne of stuff you can write for each of those, you'd have 14 SRPs in no time!

I always found drawing out the diagram first to be helpful. You get an SRP for the diagram, but you can use that to guide you through your answer.

For the landform questions, the SPEED method works well.
    Statement
    Process that leads to the landform.
    Explanation.
    Example.
    Diagram.
    (doesn't have to be necessarily in that order, but preferably statement and process first).

If it was about how humans interact with erosion processes, I answered on the Courtown Co. Wexford beach - how they try and prevent erosion through various hard and soft methods.

If it was about how humans interact with depositional processes, I answered on the North Bull Island, Co. Dublin - the reason it formed was because they tried to prevent deposition in the Dublin Bay (so ships wouldn't run aground).

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Geography teacher here :)
    IF a question specified "deposition" only, then ox-bow lake could be risky as it is a feature of both erosion and deposition. If you were using it for that answer you would have to adapt your SRPs to concentrate on the processes of deposition in the essay. Often, the question simply asks for an account of the processes that have shaped an Irish landform of your choice - in this case waterfall or ox-bow lake is grand - just make sure you talk about the processes (deposition or erosion? Hydraulic action, abrasion etc etc)

If you're picking a deposition-only feature, then I'd advise you concentrate on something like a delta or braiding - where there is no chance your answer could stray off into erosion territory.

In the end, make sure you tailor your statements to the question you are asked, don't just blurt out everything you know about waterfalls or ox-bow lakes. Follow this pattern for physical geography questions:

Name feature (1 SRP)
    One named process (I SRP) -also discuss processes in more detail for SRPS
    One named Irish example (1 SRP)
    Quick labelled diagram (up to 2 SRPs)
    That's 5 SRPs in the bag
    That leaves 10 SPRs for examination of the feature and its processes

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

FatRat wrote: »
    I did Ox-Bow lake for a form of depisition for my JC pre's.

Got nothing for it :(

I did my JC last year. For my pres I did an ox bow lake for my feature of fluvial deposition and got full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nuggetclv

I think Levee for Deposition.
    Waterfall for Erosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

would I not be right in saying that you need only know either an erosional or depositional feature, but not both?
    I've been lead to believe I only need to learn the waterfall for this question.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nuggetclv

Actually, you only need one...
    2010- Erosion or Deposition
    2009- Irish Landform
    2008- Irish Landform
    2007- Irish Landform
    2006- Irish Landform (not one shown in photo above i.e. Coastal)

I think if you learn Levee or Waterfall you're safe.
    Also, Human Interaction with Rock Cycle comes up every year -except 2008 - (Quarrying, Geothermal etc.)
    Human Interaction with River/Fluvial Processes, Coastal or Mass Movement - Every Year.
    I think Igneous Rock this year too because..
    2009: Examine, with reference to examples from Ireland, the formation of sedimentary rocks.
    2010:
    Examine, with reference to examples from Ireland, the formation of metamorphic rocks.

they could always ask for one as it is on the curriculum to learn both, but I REALLY doubt they would change the style of question. You can get away with learning one.

And Nugget thanks for that tip about the igneous question, might knock that into my study play as well

Normally they don't specify deposition or erosion, but they can do (so assume they will). Unlike a lot of people (so it seems) I did the sea instead of rivers, and we used the formation of beaches for deposition, and cliffs for erosion

I would be carfull if I were you. Take a look at 2006,question two, part B. Might interest you (that is if you are still in LC)

Advertisement