Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pan European home servicing ?

• 17-04-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

Any owners out there with a view on if carrying out routine servicing such as oil changes on a 10 year old pan european is straight forward enough to be carried out by a keen but skill limited owner. Looking maby in the summer at getting one and just am a bit worried this bike might need special tools or equiptment to service.

I know it was a slightly less high tec model but I started out on a Kawasaki AR 125 and it drove me crazy having to strip off most of the fairing just to check the spark plug. I'm just seeking a bit of reassurance that I wont have to take the bike to a garage every time that an oil change is needed.

Any one out there carrying out self servicing ?

How do you find it to work on this bike ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

210 wrote: »
    .. a keen but skill limited owner. ...

Any one out there carrying out self servicing ?

No idea of the Pan , but if you are keen you should get the Official Workshop manual. This gives you all the info you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Oil and filter drain and change is easy enough. Have not tried changing the brakes or spark plugs yet but I am told it is easy too. Not too much fairing to take off for the oil. 6 screws (I think) and take the belly pan off, out with the drain plug and off with the oil filter and et voila! I do it every 5k miles just to be sure to be sure :)
    Didn't need anything special tool wise, I just used the tool kit from the bike TBH.
    Think I have the workshop manual on PDF somewhere if you would like it. PM me and I can e-mail it to you if it would be of any use.
    Great bikes by the way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jayok wrote: »
    No idea of the Pan , but if you are keen you should get the Official Workshop manual. This gives you all the info you need.

Forget the workshop manual get a Haynes instead. It tells you the level of difficulty of each job, any special tools required and has pictures of each step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Thanks folks - any tips on problem areas to check before buying. I see the exhausts & collector box are pretty expensive, but should I be aware of any other areas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Check swingarm, it's prone to rotting, but more likely on older models than what you're looking at.

The downpipes/collector box/cans is the biggie, if you can get one with stainless fitted so very much the better.

Look for extras such as heated grips (preferable Honda), topbox (again preferably Honda), wind deflector kit, custom saddle etc.

Go ABS if at all possible and needless to say FSH.

It will be obvious if it's a well minded bike, Pan drivers are generally not your purple headlight wheelie merchants! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Thanks folks. I was looking at a bike today and the only problem I see is a small but noisy enough blow out in the joint between the right downpipe and the collector box. The pipes themselves seem to be stainless and sound. I see on ebay that some of the exhaust gasket sets and clamps for the pan come with a third slightly smaller gasket and clamp which I assume must be to fit the joint of one of the downpipes entering into the collector box ? The bigger gaskets seem to fit the collector box to silencer joints. The bike I looked at doenst seem to have any clamps on the downpipes to silencer box joints. One of the joints (the left) though seems tighter than the right.

What I was wondering is should there be a clamp on the right downpipe to collector box joint & does the left downpipe to colector joint not need a clamp ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

210 wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I was looking at a bike today and the only problem I see is a small but noisy enough blow out in the joint between the right downpipe and the collector box. The pipes themselves seem to be stainless and sound. I see on ebay that some of the exhaust gasket sets and clamps for the pan come with a third slightly smaller gasket and clamp which I assume must be to fit the joint of one of the downpipes entering into the collector box ? The bigger gaskets seem to fit the collector box to silencer joints. The bike I looked at doenst seem to have any clamps on the downpipes to silencer box joints. One of the joints (the left) though seems tighter than the right.

What I was wondering is should there be a clamp on the right downpipe to collector box joint & does the left downpipe to colector joint not need a clamp ?

Not too sure about the exhaust for a Pan, but all joints should be clamped. Can you look at a similar one in a shop.

But if someone can't get the basics of an exhaust right what else have they messed up.

Advertisement