Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are pistols / Full Bore Semi-Auto's now banned in Eire?

Options
  • 17-04-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I was reading on some website that an Irish MP didn't want any more licenses granted for pistol renewals.
    Just wondering if gun shops in Eire are still supplying pistols via the restricted firearm application process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Can we ask where they were saying that?

And yes and no - you cannot apply for a licence for a restricted pistol (which basicly means any pistol over .22 in caliber, there are some other rules, but for a one-line explanation, that's the main one), but you can apply for a licence for an unrestricted one and those are being licenced still. There's a big red flashing notice at the top of the forum that lists all the details in full.

Also, moving this out to the main shooting forum 'cos it's more to do with the legislation than the sport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I was reading on some website that an Irish MP didn't want any more licenses granted for pistol renewals.
    Just wondering if gun shops in Eire are still supplying pistols via the restricted firearm application process?

In a word "No"

A few court cases ongoing.

If you want to see if it will be changed
    alan@alanshatter.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

We have TD's over here not MP's:).Basically the same though,cost and talk alot.:(. And NO they are not totally banned.Had a most enjoyable morning shooting mine with a few others of this select group this morning.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    We have TD's over here not MP's:).Basically the same though,cost and talk alot.:(. And NO they are not totally banned.Had a most enjoyable morning shooting mine with a few others of this select group this morning.:D

It's good to here that you're allowed to hang-on to your .22 calibre pistols. That's more than the English are allowed!

Thanks for the responses folks, I'll try and get more info from that link/email :)

Sparks wrote: »
    Can we ask where they were saying that?

And yes and no - you cannot apply for a licence for a restricted pistol (which basicly means any pistol over .22 in caliber, there are some other rules, but for a one-line explanation, that's the main one), but you can apply for a licence for an unrestricted one and those are being licenced still. There's a big red flashing notice at the top of the forum that lists all the details in full.

Also, moving this out to the main shooting forum 'cos it's more to do with the legislation than the sport...

It was on some website where it listed different country's gun laws. I didn't think it was 100% accurate... :)

• Advertisement

Might be nice to correct that!

proably cybershooters uk??;):rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    proably cybershooters uk??;):rolleyes:

Is probably the worst website for gun owners I've ever come across...
    And come to think of it, I think it was that place that had the link to it. LOL

I don't think it's the worst.
    I mean, even excluding the websites that are directly opposed to firearms in any shape or form, there are still worse places than that. I mean, even the old garda website pages on firearms ownership were worse!

Cyber shooters just needs to update their info once inawhile.The concept is sound,it is just let down by a bunch of clangers that need to be corrected in its gunlaw section especially on the ROI part.:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement