Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C/2010 X1 (Elenin)

Options
  • 17-04-2011 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for you guys.Since this comet is passing relatively close to earth in October 2011, is it going to be spectacular like Hale-bopp was in '97?

halebopp3_pacholka.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

No one can say with certainty.
    Comets are unpredictable because if pressure builds up from the increased heat as it approaches the Sun it can cause explosions with gas, rock and ice being released. These events can make it increase in brightness by a few magnitudes.
    I can't remember the name but I think this happened a couple of years ago and it went from mag 11 to mag 5 (naked eye visible) but I might have that wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

backboiler wrote: »
    No one can say with certainty.
    Comets are unpredictable because if pressure builds up from the increased heat as it approaches the Sun it can cause explosions with gas, rock and ice being released. These events can make it increase in brightness by a few magnitudes.
    I can't remember the name but I think this happened a couple of years ago and it went from mag 11 to mag 5 (naked eye visible) but I might have that wrong.

I didn't have a telescope when bopp flew by all those years back ,I hope we will be able to see this clearly in the skies with a telescope.Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

backboiler wrote: »
    this happened a couple of years ago and it went from mag 11 to mag 5 (naked eye visible) but I might have that wrong.
    That was comet Holmes.

Current estimates for this particular comet are that it is underperforming somewhat compared to the models, so instead of being a spectacular comet it's looking likely to be a good binocular object instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Obviously the predictions will get more accurate closer to the time, but whatever happens, it'll be worth watching out for.

Advertisement