Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midlands shoot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dev110 wrote: »
    It was just on lane 4. All the others were crawling

Must find out who was in that lane, although, you know for next time you might win it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Thanks to all who gave me a digout getting zeroed in time for the competition. Just a pity the light barrel wouldn't stay on zero.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Will make the next one. Missing too much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

exellent videos there poulo ,going mad i couldn't make it ,,roll on the next one

ian ...

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Great video Paul,
    enjoyed the outing and met one or two from off here.

DSCN5740.jpg

Team PSE was bit ....well, not so great...we'll be back:)

DSCN5741.jpg

DSCN5743.jpg

edi

• Advertisement

Edi what happened? I heard your name was etched on the trophy??

Tac,
    don't think I'm great at the quick shots.
    I should have used my light remmy that I used all year but I wanted to give my old sako with the new mag system a good test. Just love shooting that rifle.
    edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

ejg wrote: »
    Great video Paul,

DSCN5740.jpg

DSCN5741.jpg

DSCN5743.jpg

edi

Cheers edi.
    I am looking forward to calling down to you for a look at your new stock. I liked the feel of the one you had up on Sunday.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Cheers edi.
    I am looking forward to calling down to you for a look at your new stock. I liked the feel of the one you had up on Sunday.

Paulo

You will not be disappointed with Edi's stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

Great video Paul,

DSCN5740.jpg

DSCN5741.jpg

DSCN5743.jpg

edi

Ah Edi that was only because you didnt have me there.:D:D

• Advertisement

The shots out of your WSM would've gone automatically into the deer necks :). Next time join in.

One thing could be improved in future competitions though, that is getting some kind of feedback where the shots are actually landing. Not much use firing round after round not knowing what one is doing wrong.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Shoot'n'See targets perhaps? They'd be about the right size for the scoring zone as well. I put in a suggestion at the last one I was at to make scoring a hit/miss affair, using a clay on a stick. That'd be a nice reactive target and would give good feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

It was just the moving deer that was impossible to judge if what you were doing was right or wrong as the target was black so the bullet strikes were not visible.
    If it was the red target like what was on the stationary targets it would have been easier.

The hit/miss idea couldn't really work as then it could be a draw between more than 20 people for 1st place. The scoring for points is the only thing that would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

what about the person holding the stick with the clay getting lumps of broken clay showered on them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

bazza888 wrote: »
    what about the person holding the stick with the clay getting lumps of broken clay showered on them:)

Did butt duty and appreciate your concern ;)

Shanmoll308.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

well give them an umbrella:)

Couldn't results be radioed to the range officer after every shooter has taken there shot. i don't see why in a couple of seconds you couldn't have the results, and then take your next shot

safety first shamoll:D

ssl wrote: »
    well give them an umbrella:)

Couldn't results be radioed to the range officer after every shooter has taken there shot. i don't see why in a couple of seconds you couldn't have the results, and then take your next shot

Radio is patchy and only one way at a time.

Electronic Methods is mad expensive

If you are used to Radio's you know there limitations with cross over etc.

There are several competitors shooting at the same time, the results are radioed back at ceasefires and tally'ed by the Tally Officer.

The RO has the job of Running the shoot, not Scoring.

http://english.kme.no/elektroniske_skyteskiver/U2A.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The shots out of your WSM would've gone automatically into the deer necks :). Next time join in.

One thing could be improved in future competitions though, that is getting some kind of feedback where the shots are actually landing. Not much use firing round after round not knowing what one is doing wrong.
    edi
    Shoot'n'See targets perhaps? They'd be about the right size for the scoring zone as well. I put in a suggestion at the last one I was at to make scoring a hit/miss affair, using a clay on a stick. That'd be a nice reactive target and would give good feedback.
    It was just the moving deer that was impossible to judge if what you were doing was right or wrong as the target was black so the bullet strikes were not visible.
    If it was the red target like what was on the stationary targets it would have been easier.

The hit/miss idea couldn't really work as then it could be a draw between more than 20 people for 1st place. The scoring for points is the only thing that would work.

Isn't the whole point of the target is that you can't see the hits - much the same as the other forms of target shooting. It adds that bit of luck to the shooting competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

clivej wrote: »
    Isn't the whole point of the target is that you can't see the hits - much the same as the other forms of target shooting. It adds that bit of luck to the shooting competition.
    Er, what now? You can see the hits in almost every other form of target shooting, whether by someone signalling from the butts or from the target being on a carrier that comes back to you after every shot or from looking at the target through a scope after every shot, or from an electronic display, or from seeing the clay dissappear in a cloud of dust, or from seeing the little metal silhouette go flying, or the metal popper target fall over or whatever. Shooting matches should be about skill, not luck :p

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Er, what now? You can see the hits in almost every other form of target shooting, whether by someone signalling from the butts or from the target being on a carrier that comes back to you after every shot or from looking at the target through a scope after every shot, or from an electronic display, or from seeing the clay dissappear in a cloud of dust, or from seeing the little metal silhouette go flying, or the metal popper target fall over or whatever. Shooting matches should be about skill, not luck :p

You can test Zero on the same range as the Comp.
    You then fire in the comp.

Your skill is knowing your "hunting rifle" enough that you can aim at and hit a moving target, or a target with a short timed exposure.
    The range is set, the time is set, the variables are wind and pre-empting where the target may appear

Having shot in 2/3 of the comps, believe me there is more skill than anything involved.
    Especially when choosing the right mag to shoot on, and what ammo to use to match the conditions and the correct lead time on a moving target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Lads using high magnifications would have an advantage?

well a min of 10x would be my choice, I had mine on 20x when I fired at the wrong target :o so that was too much. when I had it on 14 I got 78/80

You can clearly see movement, but more of the target to give a more precise aim.
    after all you are prone so you are mostly in line with target

For the moving target I used my lowest mag and it was just perfect because on to high of a mag it would be alot harder to follow target successfully.

I only ask as I haven't fired .204 at them yet :eek: and my VX III has 20x as highest setting but I usually use it on 8-10.

For the moving target I used my lowest mag and it was just perfect because on to high of a mag it would be alot harder to follow target successfully.

Ah, but your target was galloping:D
    what mag were you on timed exposures?

Ah, but your target was galloping:D
    what mag were you on timed exposures?

12x

12x

And if your scope had a wider field of view you could have gone to 14 or even 16x

The on thing I notice when I look through your scope is the narrower field of view.

Anyway, I MUST get back to study, looking out at the beautiful sky out the room window does not help :(

Next comp Bunny will win with his Super accurate .204 :D

where did you get the vx111 bunny?how much if you dont mind me asking?iv noticed most rfds seem to have a very small selection of scopes

• Advertisement

.......Next comp Bunny will win with his Super accurate .204 :D

Watch this space :P
    where did you get the vx111 bunny?how much if you dont mind me asking?iv noticed most rfds seem to have a very small selection of scopes

S/H off Sean in Stakelums, when he was in Urlingford, and I WILL NEVER sell it ;)

Think I gave €700 (It was Celtic Tiger prices & times ;))

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement